PDA

View Full Version : The stallion Love Affair

lb2005
Sep. 28, 2011, 02:33 PM
Has anyone any experience breeding to this stallion named Love Affair?

http://www.farafieldacres.com/stallion.htm

I was watching a hunter class at the Kentucky National Horse Show this past weekend. I am in the habit of writing down names of horses that I admire as the hunter classes go, so I can go back and try to find out their parentage through the USEF or other means. A lovely gelding by this horse (I think) was showing in the derby.

Specifically, has anyone ever bred a Thoroughbred mare to him, and what were the results?

Thanks for your thoughts.

fordtraktor
Sep. 28, 2011, 03:15 PM
I haven't bred to him but I was his groom back in the day and he is gorgeous and wonderful personality-wise. He is a lovely boy, can't say enough nice things about him and his jump.

Modern type, great Landgraf I x Cor de la Bryere cross which is my personal favorite Holsteiner pedigree. I think he would be nice with a TB as he is modern enough to produce a nice cross.

I'm sure Lieselott will be able to provide pictures of foals out of TB mares, I'd give her a call.

ponygirl
Sep. 28, 2011, 04:40 PM
A friend of mine has a LA mare out of a TB mare. She's modern in type, solid bay with a pretty face.

Fordtraktor that is interesting to hear as the head judge for AHHA said to me that he was somewhat old fashioned.

fordtraktor
Sep. 28, 2011, 04:54 PM
Well, I would trust the head judge for AHHA over my personal impressions any day. And that was late '90's so maybe there's a newer "modern" than "modern" and I'm just out of date....I don't know!

I am far from a Holsteiner expert. I just chimed in because I knew the horse personally and can speak to his good character, thought that might be useful to OP.

I think he has a nice amount of bone, he is not heavy. I do not like them heavy/drafty at all, I prefer "modern" types and particularly liked how uphill his way of going was, he was very light and soft in the bridle, naturally balanced with good, light, beautiful gaits. Such a pretty horse, he always had a ton of admirers. He has a lot of presence. I can't recall sitting on him so I can't speak to that.

I hope more expert Holsteiner breeders will help her on the "modern" issue.

amylmac
Sep. 28, 2011, 05:07 PM
I would love to see some photos of TB crosses by him.

lb2005
Sep. 28, 2011, 08:15 PM
I would love to see some photographs of foals out of Thoroughbred mares, too.

fordtraktor
Sep. 28, 2011, 09:22 PM
Here are a couple I googled out of curiosity:

http://www.equine.vt.edu/mares/pzennor.html

http://www.holsteiners-meridianfarm.com/for-sale.html

This one has a lot of TB: http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sale/horse-ad-1344795.html

RyTimMick
Sep. 28, 2011, 11:46 PM
I was with Lieselott today at our Inspection in Virginia. What a wealth of knowledge. Anyways, I have seen quite a few Love Affairs out of TB mares. My first impression was wow, he fixed them a lot. Toplines were improved, legs were improved, and overall athleticism was improved in the ones I saw. Lieselott bred for dressage with a flatter knee then most dressage riders. So you could see Love Affairs working quite well in the hunter ring. Love Affair was a tiny thing, I think he was barely 16hh( if that). Modern type by liked the blood for sure. Great mind. Should be a good cross with a TB, especially if looking for a Hunter. I believe he is out in New Mexico now with the rest of her horses. Best of luck.

Tim

Fred
Sep. 29, 2011, 09:01 AM
Beautiful horse - I have admired him for a long time.

I met Lieselotte (briefly) at an inspection here in Canada a number of years ago.
She was lovely! I took AFR's older sister to the inspection - it was my first, and Lucy was the only TB there.
Lieselotte was so kind and complimentary - I remember she kissed Lucy on the nose!

Groro
Sep. 29, 2011, 05:53 PM
FYI. I know someone who had trouble with his semen this year. She tried through three cycles and the motility got worse every time. She finally gave up, instead bred her mare to Concerto Grosso in late July who is now safely in foal. She finally complained to someone at the farm on NM and they admitted that Love Affair did not settle any mares this year.

I own a Love Affair gelding out of a fabulous jumper mare. He is not that careful, rattling a lot of rails and doesn't have near the scope of his mother. He is really sweet, though.

Bayhawk
Sep. 29, 2011, 06:29 PM
FYI. I know someone who had trouble with his semen this year. She tried through three cycles and the motility got worse every time. She finally gave up, instead bred her mare to Concerto Grosso in late July who is now safely in foal. She finally complained to someone at the farm on NM and they admitted that Love Affair did not settle any mares this year.

I own a Love Affair gelding out of a fabulous jumper mare. He is not that careful, rattling a lot of rails and doesn't have near the scope of his mother. He is really sweet, though.

From Love affair to Concerto Grosso ? One helluva switch in type there !

Groro
Sep. 30, 2011, 10:41 PM
The mare has a CG colt by her side, she just had a breeding to LA she had already paid for. IMO, the LA's I've seen have been pretty monstrous and a bit clunky. CG, on the other hand, has a TB grandsire in Koenigspark and is producing some pretty nice, light movers and jumpers. His son, Counterpoint, was thereserve Champion 4 y o Young Event Horse on the West Coast. He is out of a big Trakehner mare.

Bayhawk
Oct. 1, 2011, 01:07 AM
The mare has a CG colt by her side, she just had a breeding to LA she had already paid for. IMO, the LA's I've seen have been pretty monstrous and a bit clunky. CG, on the other hand, has a TB grandsire in Koenigspark and is producing some pretty nice, light movers and jumpers. His son, Counterpoint, was thereserve Champion 4 y o Young Event Horse on the West Coast. He is out of a big Trakehner mare.

I have known Counterpoint from the moment he was born. I also knew the Koenigspark xx mother of Concerto Grosso personally. Her name was Caletta and she was one of the best half bred mares I have ever seen. She was HSP with a 9 on type. She is also mother to Edgar's Coriander stallion.

I have also known Love Affair's mother and father in Holstein. I have never seen a " Monstrous" Love Affair. Love Affair was brought in to lighten the heavier , old fashioned Merano mares. He has done his job. He has produced several GP dressage horses including back to back grand champions at Devon.

Concerto Grosso is an excellent producer. Just this week he has produced the champion mares for the AHHA at two sites in Ca and Pa .

He and Love Affair are worlds apart in type and production. I personally would never choose them for the same mare.

Patty Lynch
Oct. 1, 2011, 10:38 AM
I'm not a breeder, but I'm an owner and wanna be dressage rider someday:winkgrin:.

I saw the thread title and thought I would share a pic (though not a very good one) of my 9yr old gelding for those that were interested in seeing Love Affair crossed with a TB mare.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2047387660102534764KZTJmX

This horse has THE most amazing temperment and personality. I have enjoyed owning him like no other. And he was the horse that came into my life after a loss. When I thought I could never bond like that again..... I was wrong. I call him McDreamy all the time. He is sweet, willing, respectful and affectionate. A true pleasure to be around.

Despite what we ever accomplish in or out of the show ring together, I couldn't ask for a better partner.

And he has great feet! :)