PDA

View Full Version : Buying a horse at auction/importing foals

RedmondDressage
Sep. 28, 2011, 03:10 PM
Hi All - I've been drooling over the catalog for the 125th Hanoverian Elite Auction (http://www.hannoveraner.com/2597.html)and while I can't think about another horse right this minute I'm tossing around the idea of picking up a prospect over the next year or so. I'm curious if any of you have purchased a horse through a similar auction and what your experience was? What is the process for bidding from the US, do you have an agent bidding on your behalf at the auction? I have no experience with purchasing a horse this way so I'm just curious about the ins and outs. I do know a woman here who purchases from the European auctions regularly and am hoping to chat with her at a clinic this weekend but I would love others' experiences as well!

I was originally looking at 3 and 4 year olds but I'm seeing some weanlings at this auction that I'm interested in as well. I figure I'm pretty young, I've got a solid upper level horse, and I've got the set up at home to have a baby again... It would be as good a time as any to take a gamble so I'm kind of tossing around the idea. It could be a fun project! I don't know much about the process of importing a baby though. I assume the cost of shipping itself is the same as an older horse... What is the quarantine process on a foal? I would likely pick up a colt as I'm not much of a mare person. Can any of you who have imported a baby shed light on the process?

RedMare01
Sep. 28, 2011, 03:32 PM
I have not, but know people that have. Quarantine on a horse under two (or a gelding) is only a few days. Over two years of age (mare or stallion) is around a month and much more expensive. IIRC, depending on the exchange rate, it's probably $6-8K for import + quarantine on an under two, and ~$10-12K for a mare or stallion.

The Sporthorse Breeding board may be a better place to ask as there are quite a few people that have imported there, but before you go overseas, look around the US first. There are lots of fantastic babies born here with the same European bloodlines. :yes:

aahunterjumper
Sep. 28, 2011, 06:14 PM
Most of the auctions let you bid over the phone. Usually, you get a note from your bank authorizing you to spend X (you set the amount). You send that over to the auction and they'll call you when the horse before goes in the ring. The larger verbands, Hann, Holst, Trak have reps who will talk to you about horses before the auction and coordinate any other vettings etc. Foals only have a 3 day quarantine in US (around 2yrs old) it goes to the 14day mare, 30day stallion. A lot of people bring in more than 1 foal (less stressful for foal and more cost effective). Consider how much of a shipping pallet you want - shippers have advised me to import mare w foal and bred back as most cost effective. Good luck if you go/ bid. My recommendation is to visit before auction (though foals turn up at the last minute) see who you like, bid from home. Make sure your US mortality insurance starts when the auction coverage ends AND includes the plane