PDA

View Full Version : Schooling show attire help

thatsnotme
Sep. 23, 2011, 05:48 PM
Haven't shown in a few years, new horse, finances, etc. Going to a schooling show next month. I've lost about 20# since my last show, my white breeches are fine, but my good white show shirt and my coat are in need of altering. I'm still losing and planning a recognized show in the spring so I would like to replace the show shirt and alter the coat later. I know I CAN do whatever, but out of respect for my horse, the judges and show staff, I would like to keep it nice, classy and tactful. I'm thinking either the white breeches with a white l/s shirt and a brown vest (white or brown saddle pad) or I can go black or taupe breeches with a black l/s shirt and a navy or brown vest (black or white saddle pad). Opinions? Are either of these too casual?

INoMrEd
Sep. 23, 2011, 06:03 PM
I just went to a dressage schooling show last weekend and wore beige breeches with a brown vest. My shirt was white along with my saddle pad. Other riders wore either the full getup or short sleeved polo shirts with various colors of breeches including plaid!

lizathenag
Sep. 23, 2011, 06:07 PM
neat, clean and workmanlike.

Petstorejunkie
Sep. 23, 2011, 06:51 PM
I wore a $19.99 mid sleeve white blouse from NY and Co. along with a black tailored vest from H&M ($16.00) at my last schooling show with white breeches and it looked pretty sharp.
I need a new show coat and it was HOT!

mildot
Sep. 23, 2011, 09:49 PM
A canary vest is always proper

oldenmare
Sep. 23, 2011, 10:03 PM
Hhhhmmmm. I've never seen a canary vest at a dressage schooling show; or a non-licensed event / CT either. And I've managed a LOT of schooling shows.

Agreed a neat, workman-like appearance is the best route.

I'd stick with conservative colors - light breeches and shirt, dark vest are very appropriate. I'd keep the saddle pad white or off-white, personally.

Congrats on the weight loss and HAVE FUN!!!

paintlady
Sep. 24, 2011, 10:34 AM
My warm weather schooling show attire is cream breeches and a black polo shirt. I pair it with a cream pad with black trim. Personally, I can't stand how I look in white breeches without a show coat - they show EVERYTHING! I lost 40 lbs. myself last year and had to buy all new show clothes. Congrats!

SillyHorse
Sep. 24, 2011, 12:02 PM
Hhhhmmmm. I've never seen a canary vest at a dressage schooling show; or a non-licensed event / CT either. And I've managed a LOT of schooling shows.
Hmmmmm, whether you've seen it or not, it's absolutely proper.

esdressage
Sep. 24, 2011, 12:18 PM
I wore a $19.99 mid sleeve white blouse from NY and Co. along with a black tailored vest from H&M ($16.00) at my last schooling show with white breeches and it looked pretty sharp.

That sounds lovely!

KrazyTBMare
Sep. 24, 2011, 02:33 PM
I agree with the above. Clean breeches and a well fitting shirt is fine. Myt fav schooling show attire is my white breeches with my black polo, white gloves, black tall boots, and simple white pad.

I do see others wearing vests and all but its FLORIDA and its hot. Multiple layers are too hot for me! lol

As long as things fit and are clean and well put together, a simple polo or long sleeve shirt with a vest are all fine.

Congrats on the weight loss too! Its a wonderful problem to have when your clothes dont fit because they are too big! Enjoy! :)

Petstorejunkie
Sep. 24, 2011, 08:22 PM
That sounds lovely!

here's a picture (http://www.flickr.com/photos/35409622@N05/6179645980/in/photostream#/photos/35409622@N05/6179645980/in/photostream/lightbox/)

sadlmakr
Sep. 24, 2011, 08:51 PM
It is best to go as traditional as you can. Except as in Florida you might not want a melton cloth Hunt coat. Out here in California the summers are hot. So everyone goes with cool attire. But try to stay close to the classics. Conservative is good. Although I did see one young lady in a bright yellow Polo shirt once. But it did look good, on her. Not on me though.
See what others are wearing, too
Regards, sadlmakr

mildot
Sep. 24, 2011, 09:47 PM

Good taste is not easy to find.

joiedevie99
Sep. 24, 2011, 09:58 PM
White breeches, white collared shirt, dark colored vest. If it is too hot for a vest, a white or light pastel polo shirt.

coymackerel
Sep. 24, 2011, 10:36 PM
Very nice PSJ. I think combining just two colors makes for a clean look.

quietann
Sep. 24, 2011, 11:41 PM
I'm riding my mare in a schooling show at my barn tomorrow, just Intro A and B as she is having some trouble holding a canter... I plan to wear my usual tan breeches, but a light blue zippered polo instead of white shirt+black coat+white stock tie... all of which I find VERY uncomfortable especially in humid weather as we are having right now. Will try to get a photo.... she has not been shown in 2 years and I just have to *try* again.

nhwr
Sep. 25, 2011, 01:00 AM
If you are interested in honest feedback, wear a dark & visible belt, a white shirt with a collar and breeches that are slightly darker than your shirt (beige, gray or whatever).

oldenmare
Sep. 25, 2011, 03:05 PM
Good taste is not easy to find.

It is almost as hard to find as good manners.