PDA

View Full Version : Saddle for Freisian Reco's

ctab
Sep. 23, 2011, 12:20 PM
Hi all!
Reaching out again to COTHFB.

I am looking for recommendations for dressage saddle brands/models that fit Freisians.

The one in question is 17h. I would prefer one without thigh and knee rolls as the person riding is still posting more often than not. The horse has a normal set of withers but is easily a wide tree. He is 7 so may fill out some more.

Thank you!

MysticOakRanch
Sep. 23, 2011, 12:40 PM
That is kind of like saying you are looking for a saddle to fit a Warmblood - there are so many different types of Friesian backs! I have one that is extra-wide, and I ride in a Custom Advantage. Mine is short coupled, has a flat back (no dip, not a lot of wither), his back is very much like a wide Warmbloods. A friend rides another Friesian who has the longer back, some dip to it, and he is a medium (not even medium wide). She rides in a Hulsebos. My half Friesian is in an old Neidersuiss - he's also short coupled, no dip in the back at all. Another friend is on a medium wide mare with a major sway in the back - she's in a Custom Revolution. You really need to try different saddles to see what works for your specific horse's back.

FWIW, I think the Albions and Neidersuiss saddles fit a lot of medium wide to wide horses well - so you might take a look at those...

alto
Sep. 23, 2011, 12:57 PM
You really want to determine if he needs a U-shaped tree (less common) or just a wide A-shaped tree (most saddles) - have a saddle fitter out if possible, otherwise do some online saddle fit consultations (need wither/back tracings & proper photos) - Trumbull Mtn has a good reputation & saddle fitting articles (http://www.trumbullmtn.com/saddle-fitting/), they also carry demo & used saddles.

Stubben has a web sale coming up (saddles are heaily discounted & final sale) so try some Stubben saddles.

Airfern
Sep. 23, 2011, 01:47 PM
I ride mine in a #4 fryso legacy saddle. My Friesian is more of a older style then the "sport types" that you see now, so no real wither, and slab sided. Found my saddle on ebay for $950.00.

Fixating
Sep. 23, 2011, 03:11 PM
You really should work with a saddle fitter...they come in all shapes and sizes, just like any other horse:) I second Trumbull Mountain: I'm actually in the process of getting a used saddle for my 4 year old Friesian, and they have been great to work with. I sent them tracings and pictures, they emailed me a list of options, very quick turnaround.

hvfdressage
Sep. 23, 2011, 03:47 PM
Trust me I went through a million saddle trials when I was looking for a saddle for my hard to fit Friesian. I tried everything: Laser, Albion, Trilogy, etc. I had several reps out as well but my mare is very "princess and the pea" and nothing seemed to fit quite right. I ended up with a saddle from Patty Merli- it's called Kintbury and is made by Kay Hastilow. It took about 8 weeks to get it but my mare and I love it and I have received many compliments on the saddle from trainers and even from other saddle fitters that have come to my barn and noticed my saddle when I was tacking up or riding!

xQHDQ
Sep. 23, 2011, 08:58 PM
Trilogy has a Friesian-specific saddle.

I've seen the Friesian-specific saddle made by the people who make the saddle for Trilogy (can't remember the name - has a pretzel logo). It has more room for the shoulder and is built for the upright neck of the Friesian. My friend bought one and loves it.

Spyder
Sep. 23, 2011, 11:22 PM
I have 3 Friesians and have tried a LOT of different kinds of saddles. From my own experience with the 2 XW ones, for saddles with wide twists: Laser 747, Albion Original Comfort XW. Med twist: Lauriche. Narrow Twist, Lauriche, Devoucoux Malika wide tree, Hulsebos, Albion SLK XW.

The not quite as wide one likes the wide Albion Original Comfort & a Lauriche.

Megaladon
Sep. 24, 2011, 09:45 AM
Niedersuss, Prestige, you could try Hermes. Good luck in your search! :)

Ride On
Sep. 24, 2011, 10:00 AM
I have a very wide Friesian and his Black Country fits him perfectly. The model is the Minuet I am not sure they are still making that model but Trumbel Mt saddlery can advise you.