View Full Version : Saddle for Freisian Reco's

Sep. 23, 2011, 12:20 PM
Hi all!
Reaching out again to COTHFB.

I am looking for recommendations for dressage saddle brands/models that fit Freisians.

The one in question is 17h. I would prefer one without thigh and knee rolls as the person riding is still posting more often than not. The horse has a normal set of withers but is easily a wide tree. He is 7 so may fill out some more.

Thank you!

Sep. 23, 2011, 12:40 PM
That is kind of like saying you are looking for a saddle to fit a Warmblood - there are so many different types of Friesian backs! I have one that is extra-wide, and I ride in a Custom Advantage. Mine is short coupled, has a flat back (no dip, not a lot of wither), his back is very much like a wide Warmbloods. A friend rides another Friesian who has the longer back, some dip to it, and he is a medium (not even medium wide). She rides in a Hulsebos. My half Friesian is in an old Neidersuiss - he's also short coupled, no dip in the back at all. Another friend is on a medium wide mare with a major sway in the back - she's in a Custom Revolution. You really need to try different saddles to see what works for your specific horse's back.

FWIW, I think the Albions and Neidersuiss saddles fit a lot of medium wide to wide horses well - so you might take a look at those...

Sep. 23, 2011, 12:57 PM
You really want to determine if he needs a U-shaped tree (less common) or just a wide A-shaped tree (most saddles) - have a saddle fitter out if possible, otherwise do some online saddle fit consultations (need wither/back tracings & proper photos) - Trumbull Mtn has a good reputation & saddle fitting articles (http://www.trumbullmtn.com/saddle-fitting/), they also carry demo & used saddles.

Stubben has a web sale coming up (saddles are heaily discounted & final sale) so try some Stubben saddles.

Sep. 23, 2011, 01:47 PM
I ride mine in a #4 fryso legacy saddle. My Friesian is more of a older style then the "sport types" that you see now, so no real wither, and slab sided. Found my saddle on ebay for $950.00.

Sep. 23, 2011, 03:11 PM
You really should work with a saddle fitter...they come in all shapes and sizes, just like any other horse:) I second Trumbull Mountain: I'm actually in the process of getting a used saddle for my 4 year old Friesian, and they have been great to work with. I sent them tracings and pictures, they emailed me a list of options, very quick turnaround.

Sep. 23, 2011, 03:47 PM
Trust me I went through a million saddle trials when I was looking for a saddle for my hard to fit Friesian. I tried everything: Laser, Albion, Trilogy, etc. I had several reps out as well but my mare is very "princess and the pea" and nothing seemed to fit quite right. I ended up with a saddle from Patty Merli- it's called Kintbury and is made by Kay Hastilow. It took about 8 weeks to get it but my mare and I love it and I have received many compliments on the saddle from trainers and even from other saddle fitters that have come to my barn and noticed my saddle when I was tacking up or riding!

Sep. 23, 2011, 08:58 PM
Trilogy has a Friesian-specific saddle.

I've seen the Friesian-specific saddle made by the people who make the saddle for Trilogy (can't remember the name - has a pretzel logo). It has more room for the shoulder and is built for the upright neck of the Friesian. My friend bought one and loves it.

Sep. 23, 2011, 11:22 PM
I have 3 Friesians and have tried a LOT of different kinds of saddles. From my own experience with the 2 XW ones, for saddles with wide twists: Laser 747, Albion Original Comfort XW. Med twist: Lauriche. Narrow Twist, Lauriche, Devoucoux Malika wide tree, Hulsebos, Albion SLK XW.

The not quite as wide one likes the wide Albion Original Comfort & a Lauriche.

Sep. 24, 2011, 09:45 AM
Niedersuss, Prestige, you could try Hermes. Good luck in your search! :)

Ride On
Sep. 24, 2011, 10:00 AM
I have a very wide Friesian and his Black Country fits him perfectly. The model is the Minuet I am not sure they are still making that model but Trumbel Mt saddlery can advise you.