PDA

View Full Version : oh, the hazards of a DQ, or why I didn't jump today

Petstorejunkie
Sep. 22, 2011, 01:44 PM
despite a thorough drenching with fly spray my horse was still irritated by the flies and stomping. as I was applying his bell boots for our "fun day" of jumping, he pawed to get a fly off his leg and landed on my right hand! :eek:
it instantly turned purple and i got light headed and nauseous from shock. I ran it under a cold tap, and grabbed a ice hock wrap to ice it.
well, i just got back from the emergency room. had a mild dislocation, and some busted blood vessels. thankfully it's not broken! coincidentally, they found an old fracture on my ring finger (which was not involved in the accident). i remember it hurting about 6 months ago for no reason... i wonder if that was the reason!

so PSA: dem flies are bad, watch yourselves! my boys are two of the sanest horses on the planet and i still got a bum hand. Here's to praying it's good by monday, because no horse gets more than 3 days off when in competition shape! if not we will be learning classical one hand technique i guess.

lovey1121
Sep. 22, 2011, 02:33 PM
Oh no! That sounds just awful-eegads, I'm not surprised that you becme nauseous-I feel queasy just picturing my squished hand under a hoof.:eek: It sounds excruciatingly painful! Hope you have good med's and/or SkinnyGirls!

Here's hoping for a swift recovery and an early frost. The bugs are horrendous this year.

mildot
Sep. 22, 2011, 02:58 PM
Ouch. Hope it heals as fast as possible.

shawneeAcres
Sep. 22, 2011, 07:42 PM
I know what u are saying and sorry you got hurt! Today was trying to get bot eggs off a horses legs, while they stomped and stomped even tho I had put on lots of flyspray! I was waiting for him to either stomp my foot or hit me in the face with his knee!

SBrentnall
Sep. 22, 2011, 09:19 PM
My trainer just got kicked in the forehead the exact same way. Luckily, the bell boot was a foam wrap-around so there was some cushioning, but she's still not riding two weeks later. Concussion & whiplash.

DutchDressageQueen
Sep. 22, 2011, 09:21 PM
My trainer just got kicked in the forehead the exact same way. Luckily, the bell boot was a foam wrap-around so there was some cushioning, but she's still not riding two weeks later. Concussion & whiplash.

:eek:

shawneeAcres
Sep. 22, 2011, 09:27 PM
Actually many years ago I got kicked in the head TWICE that way! I was clipping the front legs of a stallion, leaning down and a horsefly landed on his belly, he kicked with back foot towards belly and hit the back of my head, I didn't realize what had happened, turned my head to look and he kicked me on the front of the head. Knocked me out cold!

Petstorejunkie
Sep. 22, 2011, 10:35 PM
ShawneeAcres- WHOA :eek:
I've been socked in the head before by a knee when wrapping legs due to flies, but never a double whammy from a hind leg! YEOUCH
I bought some Seminole Wellness fly spray today. THey make the world's best horse feed (imho), so I'm hoping they follow suit with their fly spray.

Tonkafriend
Sep. 23, 2011, 11:46 AM
Yes, indeed! The flies are absolutely vicious right now. I was cleaning my horse's right hind hoof when he kicked out at a fly and his hock made contact with my right cheekbone! Could have been so much worse. The swelling and black eye were really magnificent! My husband got all sorts of suspicious looks at the radiology center while we were waiting for my CT scan. Got lots of sympathy, though.

cnvh
Sep. 23, 2011, 01:33 PM
The flies have made this awful this year... I've been lucky enough to not get clipped by a hind hoof (I think about it almost every time I bend over anywhere near Horse's midsection) but I have gotten clocked in the face by his knee a couple of times. One of these days my coworkers are going to sit me down and have the "battered woman" talk with me and my bruises, lol...