PDA

View Full Version : Driving to Ocala on I 95

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Sep. 4, 2011, 09:21 PM
Looking for advice on getting to Ocala from the north via I95 - looks like around JAcksonville there are a couple options. Any recommendations?

DakotaTA
Sep. 4, 2011, 09:46 PM
I-95 south to exit 268, which is SR 40. Go west, staying on 40, you'll end up in Silver Springs and then Ocala. About 70 miles. It's good road, 2 lanes with occasional passing lanes. Quickest way to get here from there. Since it's 2 lanes, it'll take you probably 1-1/2 hours. Watch your speed limit, the FHP likes to hang out there and they will stop you for speeding.

As an aside, you'll come to a traffic light at Barberville. There's a cool store there on the right with concrete horse and other animal statues and lots of other neat stuff. They have the coolest cast iron horse mailboxes! You haven't lived until you've seen a 20-hand concrete Shire, though. To enter you pass between the front and back legs of a life-size concrete giraffe.

And an FYI, if you have to go potty, the convenience store on that corner might be a wise stop. It's a long way to the next restroom.

Can you tell I make that run a lot? I love Ormond/Daytona Beach, but Ocala is home.

MunchingonHay
Sep. 4, 2011, 10:02 PM
I would not take STR40 from Dayona, since this is a 2 lane road most of the way with people driving like loons. You will drive though the Ocala Forest going on 40 and heaven forbid you need help with a broken down truck. You are in the middle of no where. (That said when you drive on I-10 you go though the Oseola State Forest, but atleast there are more people on the roads to help if need be.)

I would go: I-95 to I-295 towards I-10 (WEST){Towards Lake City I believe}
Take I-10 (WEST)
take it to I-75 (SOUTH) straight shot down.
You will have 3 lanes in each direction and you can get out of peoples way and they can got out of yours.

You can also go;
I-95 South
I-295 West towards I-10
get on I-10 West
go South on 301 and then to 301/441 south but then you have to deal with stop and go traffic and speed traps (35mph) in some places. I personally hate 301

No matter which way you go its about 1.5- 2hrs from Jacksonville to Ocala.

Punkie
Sep. 4, 2011, 10:21 PM
I would not take STR40 from Dayona, since this is a 2 lane road most of the way with people driving like loons. You will drive though the Ocala Forest going on 40 and heaven forbid you need help with a broken down truck. You are in the middle of no where. (That said when you drive on I-10 you go though the Oseola State Forest, but atleast there are more people on the roads to help if need be.)

I would go: I-95 to I-295 towards I-10 (WEST){Towards Lake City I believe}
Take I-10 (WEST)
take it to I-75 (SOUTH) straight shot down.
You will have 3 lanes in each direction and you can get out of peoples way and they can got out of yours.

You can also go;
I-95 South
I-295 West towards I-10
get on I-10 West
go South on 301 and then to 301/441 south but then you have to deal with stop and go traffic and speed traps (35mph) in some places. I personally hate 301

No matter which way you go its about 1.5- 2hrs from Jacksonville to Ocala.

I second this :)

MunchkinsMom
Sep. 4, 2011, 11:03 PM
I-95 South
I-295 West towards I-10
get on I-10 West
go South on 301 and then to 301/441

I prefer the 301 route from Jax to Ocala, even with the speed traps in Waldo and Starke, it cuts about 30 minutes off the trip.

It also depends on where your destination is in Ocala, my farm is right off of 301, so that makes more sense for me.

It's a long hard drive from Daytona over to Ocala, especially if you get stuck behind someone slower, it's a long stretch of 2-lane through the Forest. And at night you have to watch out for the black bears.

Sep. 5, 2011, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the quick replies! If I'll be driving a 4 horse rig does that change your answer, Dakota? I like the sounds of straight shot on 2 lane, and am more likely to be that rig everyone is stuck behind than the ones. in back cussing. ;)

Munchkin (and everyone), I'm heading to NW 115, half a mile off 464, according to Mapquest.

Now I have to decide if I can miss rush hour on 40 and 95 up by Raleigh /Durham, or if I should take the route through Rockingham, but I know those roads, so it's not your problem. :) Thanks for the guidance!

AllWeatherGal
Sep. 5, 2011, 07:15 AM
Is this for the region 3 championships?

I have no driving advice, just adding that the venue is northwest of Ocala.

MunchingonHay
Sep. 5, 2011, 11:02 AM
If you are headed into the NorthWest section of town I would take the I-10 to I-75 way. It I entered the intersection into Google Maps right, it looks like you will be getting off at HWY 27. Taking the Daytona thru the Ocala Forrest route via SR. 40 will put you too far South.

And since you are driving a trailer with horses, I would not take SR. 40.

You could do the 301 thru Starke and Waldo, but you will be driving parallel to I-75 and still be too far East. Plus you will be dealing with lights, horrible speed traps and bad drivers. MunchkinsMom is right it does take off 30 mins but you will grow 30 gray hairs in the process. I avoid 301 when I have a trailer. I feel bad for the horses with the stop and go traffic.

Have fun at what ever you are doing! And do not for get to go to Tack Shack!!

MunchkinsMom
Sep. 5, 2011, 04:12 PM
FYI - if there is a Gator's game (home team at UF) in Gainesville (off of I-75 north of Ocala), be prepared for traffic, it can get pretty hairy on home game weekends.

Have a safe trip!

MunchkinsMom
Sep. 5, 2011, 04:15 PM
OH! Don't forget your health certificates, and be sure to stop at the Ag station, or you will be pulled over! It is shortly after you cross the state line from GA into FL.

2tempe
Sep. 5, 2011, 04:25 PM
GOOD ADVICE re the Ag Station! I came down to Fla a couple years ago w/ horse trailer full of "stuff" that we were moving (horse had already been shipped down) I was told to stop no matter what was in the trailer, so that I wouldn't get chased down!

Sep. 5, 2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks all!! Is there a Gators game tomorrow? (Tues)

Not headed down to show - headed to get a week of dressage coaching. Very excited! But yes, I'll stop at the Ag Station for sure, with Coggins and health certifs for the very horses on my trailer! :) I know they take that very seriously!

mroades
Sep. 5, 2011, 06:04 PM
I prefer the interstate route, even though it is longer...its a lot less braking and cursing

KrazyTBMare
Sep. 5, 2011, 06:57 PM
Def DITTO to avoiding Starke/Waldo/301 if possible. I personally go through Palatka and Interlachen and get onto 301 in Hawthorne which is south of all the heavy traffic and stop lights. I only have to go through Hawthorne, Citra, and then right there where 301 and 441 merge. I am usually heading to EMCO which is on 326 so I am only on 301 for 25 mins.

DakotaTA
Sep. 6, 2011, 04:15 PM
Sorry didn't get back. I HATE I-75, everybody is driving 100 miles an hour and tailgating you in the "slow" lane that's only going 85. And I-10 from Jax to Live Oak, where you'd pick up I-75, is desolate and the longest, most boring stretch of road I've ever been on.

If you need Hwy 27, follow 40 through town to Pine Street, turn right, get in the left lane, next light (I think or maybe 2) is 27. Easy peasy.

MunchkinsMom
Sep. 6, 2011, 05:35 PM
Def DITTO to avoiding Starke/Waldo/301 if possible. I personally go through Palatka and Interlachen and get onto 301 in Hawthorne which is south of all the heavy traffic and stop lights. I only have to go through Hawthorne, Citra, and then right there where 301 and 441 merge. I am usually heading to EMCO which is on 326 so I am only on 301 for 25 mins.

I can't tell you how many times I have gotten lost in Palatka coming and going to St Augustine, every single mapping software takes you a different way, and they are always wrong! I cannot imagine making it through there with a horse trailer if you end up in the middle of downtown Palatka because you missed the bypass. UGH! I guess if you know the route it's not bad, but I would not recommend it for someone not familiar with the area.

KrazyTBMare
Sep. 6, 2011, 11:21 PM
Hmmm I dont go through downtown. I go 19 to 20. I literally make 3 turns before I hit Ocala. Right onto 19 from US17 (25 mins fro US17 to 19), go like 1-2 miles, right onto 20, straight for 20 miles (approx 25 mins), left on 301, straight for 25 miles (another 25-35 mins) - tada - Ocala! Not familiar with whatever bypass you mentioned? I am coming from Green Cove Springs via US17. I am "St Aug" but right on the boarder of St Aug/Jax. But that is literally a straight shot and very light traffic. I like that way because of the minimal turns, minimal traffic, and also b/c until the beginning of this year, I had an issue with getting a tag for my trailer (LONG story) so liked traveling the back roads until I could get that legally straightened out.

MunchkinsMom
Sep. 6, 2011, 11:30 PM
Hmmm I dont go through downtown. I go 19 to 20. I literally make 3 turns before I hit Ocala. Right onto 19 from US17 (25 mins fro US17 to 19), go like 1-2 miles, right onto 20, straight for 20 miles (approx 25 mins), left on 301, straight for 25 miles (another 25-35 mins) - tada - Ocala! Not familiar with whatever bypass you mentioned? I am coming from Green Cove Springs via US17. I am "St Aug" but right on the boarder of St Aug/Jax. But that is literally a straight shot and very light traffic. I like that way because of the minimal turns, minimal traffic, and also b/c until the beginning of this year, I had an issue with getting a tag for my trailer (LONG story) so liked traveling the back roads until I could get that legally straightened out.

Well, that way must not be on any of the mapping software that I've used, only once did I somehow go the way you mentioned (I recall going over a very tall bridge that crosses the St Johns river?). I only get up to the beach maybe once per year if I'm lucky.