PDA

View Full Version : Eventing/jumping instructors in Maryland?

kitten_Val
Aug. 30, 2011, 04:44 PM
Any suggestions/recommendations? Yes, I know there is a list in Equiery, but I always go with personal references. :)

I'm almost total beginner in jumping as well as my horse, so looking for one tolerant enough towards such teams and who would be able to teach us both from ground zero (doesn't need to be sugar-coated, I really prefer someone honest and straight).

CiegoStar
Aug. 30, 2011, 05:02 PM
There are many options and lots of COTHers who will pipe up with their faves. Where are you located, and do you want a trainer who will come to you or will you trailer in?

scubed
Aug. 30, 2011, 05:13 PM
Maryland may not be that big, but it covers a lot of ground. Also makes a difference if you can trailer in or want someone who will come to you. Some options:

Sally Cousins www.sallycousins.com (not based in Maryland, but teaches at a couple of Maryland Farms pretty regularly)

Kate Chadderton www.katechadderton.com (does a Wednesday evening schooling over courses workshop as well as regular lessons)

Danny Warrington www.dannywarrington.com

Waredaca, www.waredaca.com

Mogie Bearden-Muller http://foxhilleventing.com/default.aspx

Colleen Rutledge http://colleenrutledgeeventing.com/

Tom Waters http://www.bennettscreekfarm.com/

Courtney Sendak http://www.defyinggravityeventing.com/Home.html (based out of Julia Wendell's Farm, where Julia also teaches and Sally Cousins comes in periodically)

Highflyer
Aug. 30, 2011, 05:44 PM
Ditto Sally, but it really depends where you are, too :)

BeverlyAStrauss
Aug. 30, 2011, 07:58 PM
Lots of great choices- may I also add Sally Shirley (sallyshirley.com) and Steuart Pittman (Dodonfarm.com)- both are professional, knowledgeable, kind, and lots of fun!

teddygirl
Aug. 30, 2011, 08:13 PM
There are tons, where are you? Do you wanna trailer or have someone come in?

Duckz
Aug. 30, 2011, 08:42 PM
I ride with Cherie Chauvin http://www.golightlysporthorses.com/ and Steuart Pittman http://www.dodonfarm.com/. They're both excellent!

Meredith Clark
Aug. 30, 2011, 09:38 PM
Val is great! Check out her webpage

Blue Clover Eventing (http://www.blueclovereventing.com/)

kitten_Val
Aug. 30, 2011, 09:59 PM
Sorry, folks, forgot to mention.. :) I'm in West Friendship, Howard County. I think Dodon Farm is a little too far, but I'll check all other trainers location-wise. I'm not a fan of bigger lesson barns (like Waredaca, Columbia Center and alike) because I never had a luck with lessons in such places, so I'm looking for private instructor/smaller barn (like my dressage lessons).

Thank you, All, for the suggestions! I truly appreciate the help!

Aug. 31, 2011, 12:02 AM
I think there are a few barns in Poolesville and north of Olney, I don't know much other than they are there. One good way to find barns and trainers is to find clinics in your area, sometimes there are barns you never knew were there!

Sonoma City
Aug. 31, 2011, 07:53 AM
Sorry, folks, forgot to mention.. :) I'm in West Friendship, Howard County. I think Dodon Farm is a little too far, but I'll check all other trainers location-wise. I'm not a fan of bigger lesson barns (like Waredaca, Columbia Center and alike) because I never had a luck with lessons in such places, so I'm looking for private instructor/smaller barn (like my dressage lessons).

Thank you, All, for the suggestions! I truly appreciate the help!

Do you live in West Friendship or board there? Are you looking for a boarding place that does eventing? Or an instructor to come to where you board? Or a place to trailer over to for lessons?

kitten_Val
Aug. 31, 2011, 12:05 PM
Do you live in West Friendship or board there? Are you looking for a boarding place that does eventing? Or an instructor to come to where you board? Or a place to trailer over to for lessons?

I keep my mare in my own place. :) Actually I prefer to trailer for lessons (as the neighbor's ring I use is not the biggest and we don't have much of equipment such as poles and cavaletties).

JillCozza
Aug. 31, 2011, 12:16 PM
Waredaca, www.waredaca.com

I am from florida but when Gretchen Butts from Waredaca winters near my home I take lessons her. She is a fantastic coach and I am sure the other instructors at Waredaca are as well.

:)

asterix
Aug. 31, 2011, 01:49 PM
I board at Waredaca and was going to say that it really isn't a "big lesson barn" like Columbia. they do run group lessons but there are plenty of folks (and almost everyone who has their own horse falls into this category) who do privates or semi privates with Gretchen or her daughter Steph.
So certainly keep them on your list.

Another one just up the road is A Bit Better Farm, Kelley Williams. She's extremely kind, patient, and good with horses just learning to jump. It's a small farm, not a lesson barn.

AKB
Aug. 31, 2011, 08:39 PM
Glenda Player at Playland Farm in Westminster, MD does a nice job of boosting confidence and competence at the lower levels. She also has a lovely big indoor ring and a couple of outdoor rings.

msmom
Aug. 31, 2011, 08:46 PM
I second Kelley Williams. I've been riding with her for several years and she is awesome! As asterix said, she is extremely kind and patient both with horses and riders.

flyingchange
Aug. 31, 2011, 09:19 PM
Gretchen Butts at Waredaca. You will love her. Waredaca is not a big "lesson mill" type of deal. Once you take one lesson with Gretchen, you will be hooked and so glad you took the time. I don't live in that area anymore but if I did I would positively be riding with the G.

kitten_Val
Aug. 31, 2011, 09:34 PM
Thank you, folks! I'm actually surprised. I've heard about Gretchen Butts, but I was told she "retired" from lessons. So based on responses here what I was told is quite far from being true. BTW I contacted Kelley Williams some time back, but her schedule was too busy at that time. I may just contact both to see what I can work out.

As for big barns... I've never been in Waredaca, but I took lessons (on lesson horse, not mine) in couple other (big) lesson barns in area and it was waste of money in both places. Therefore my comment (not directed at that particular place).

teddygirl
Aug. 31, 2011, 11:04 PM
Kelley Williams is wonderful and exactly what you're looking for, but she's recovering from a bad fall (broke C1 & C2) and she's not teaching for another month or 2. The good news is they expect a good recovery. Her schedule can be full, but it's better if you trailer in to her.

gottagrey
Sep. 1, 2011, 10:19 AM
For jumping lessons I would also recommend

Cindy Lytle - Lytleshowhorses.com ( located on Mont./Fred. County Line) right near Loch Moy/Maryland Horse Trials Adamstown/Dickerson

JoAnn Schaudies / Surmont.com - she's in Poolesville, good technician

both these are from the H/J ranks. Cindy has several eventer clients and competes wherever their horses or client's horses do their job best (dressage, horse trials, H/J etc). Jo-Ann is primarily a H/J trainer

both ladies will provide you with a good solid foundation for jumping.Cindy is probably closest for you.

gypsymare
Sep. 1, 2011, 03:25 PM
I was about to post almost that exact same question. I'd like to try eventing. I'm in Frederick, MD, looking to trailer in at a smaller place with quality instruction and facilities. Mare is green to jumping in a ring but has a bit of experience in xc (first flight fox hunter and tooling around Queeny Park, MO).

curlykarot
Sep. 1, 2011, 03:56 PM
Try Kerry Blackmer at Miles Ahead Farm, www.milesaheadfarm.net (http://www.milesaheadfarm.net), in Adamstown, MD. Great with beginners and green horses and a small program. She also has a few school horses that are tried and true if you are looking to start off with a partner that knows the ropes.

yellowbritches
Sep. 1, 2011, 07:45 PM
scubed mentioned Tom Waters/Bennett's Creek. I am happy to answer any questions about either. :yes: However, there was a recent short lived thread about Tom where a few other than me gave some feedback. If you do a search, it may be worth reading and give a decent idea of training style, etc.

gypsymare, especially, we may be just what you need! OP, I don't know how far West Friendship is, but you might find us a fun match. We actually have a client with a new, green horse...maybe you could even have a green horse buddy. ;) Feel free to PM me with any questions.

FWIW, the website is getting totally overhauled after some great advice given on here (in a major way), but it is still in the works. Most pertinent info is totally up to date, but we're still working on getting some other much needed info up. So, again, if you have a question, I'm happy to help. :yes:

gypsymare
Sep. 1, 2011, 10:20 PM
scubed mentioned Tom Waters/Bennett's Creek. I am happy to answer any questions about either. :yes: However, there was a recent short lived thread about Tom where a few other than me gave some feedback. If you do a search, it may be worth reading and give a decent idea of training style, etc.

gypsymare, especially, we may be just what you need! OP, I don't know how far West Friendship is, but you might find us a fun match. We actually have a client with a new, green horse...maybe you could even have a green horse buddy. ;) Feel free to PM me with any questions.

FWIW, the website is getting totally overhauled after some great advice given on here (in a major way), but it is still in the works. Most pertinent info is totally up to date, but we're still working on getting some other much needed info up. So, again, if you have a question, I'm happy to help. :yes:
Frederick, not Friendship! :lol:

Wow, I really couldn't be any closer! I live in downtown Frederick and I'm boarding at Holly Hills Farm. It's only 8 miles away. That really looks like the kind of place I'd be interested in.

September is pretty crazy for me... I'll try to make it to the open house and maybe start some lessons in October.

yellowbritches
Sep. 1, 2011, 10:23 PM
The OP is in West Friendship. ;)

I hope you can make it! We're looking forward to it! The place deserves a good show off!:lol:

kitten_Val
Sep. 3, 2011, 01:51 PM
Kelley Williams is wonderful and exactly what you're looking for, but she's recovering from a bad fall (broke C1 & C2) and she's not teaching for another month or 2. The good news is they expect a good recovery. Her schedule can be full, but it's better if you trailer in to her.

Geez! Sorry to hear that! :( Hope she'll be back on track in no time!

kitten_Val
Sep. 3, 2011, 01:56 PM

Your place looks VERY nice (I definitely checked it when I did a google search on facilities), but it's a little too far for me. :( (as I'm not the greatest trailer driver I have to say) I wish you, folks, would be closer!

And I'm just curious... Has anyone heard about Liberty View farm in Sykesville? They are pretty close and I know have a nice facility, but I couldn't find much of feedback.

Lahoya
Sep. 3, 2011, 08:52 PM
Sally Cousins visits Merry Acres Farm once a month. I believe it is very close to West Friendship.

kitten_Val
Oct. 1, 2011, 08:44 AM
Just want to give an update.. I took 2 lessons this week in Waredaca: one with Steph, one with Gretchen. Both are nice, and Gretchen is so much like my dressage trainer going through all details and explanations for the position! (I liked Steph a lot too, but just different type of teaching). I keep my fingers crossed I'll be able to take lessons with both (as Gretchen is very busy and don't always have time for lessons).

And yes, I was pleasantly surprised with the place - not a typical "lesson barn". :)

flashwhitelock
Oct. 1, 2011, 09:53 AM
anyone know of good place to board within 1 hour of north/center of baltimore? have to find field board (horse has allergies) but still have ring/indoor. She's a HA PC'er. She has been offered one place but its other end of baltimore direction and over an hour. Preferably with someone around for dressage or ct lessons since she won't have a trailer.

pharmgirl
Oct. 1, 2011, 09:57 AM
Glad you had some good lessons. Yup, Gretch is very thorough. Gretchen and Steph often go South for the winter, and as I'm sure you found out it can be tough with the rest of their schedules sometimes (esp. when Gretchen is TD'ing a lot).

If you would like to keep things at that location, I also suggest trying Liz Schroeder (pm me if you would like her info). She has been an instructor at Waredaca for years, and she is always my go-to person when I need some confidence building (such as after breaking myself a bunch of times ;)). When I boarded there, I took lessons from Liz, Gretchen, and occasionally Steph and found it all worked nicely for my training (i.e. no conflicting instruction or something).

yventer
Oct. 9, 2011, 08:08 PM
I teach lesssons in the Poolesville area, and am often traveling from Great Falls VA via the beltway. I do dressage, jumping and XC for any level of rider.

I can provide references :->

Yvonne

smokey1428
Oct. 9, 2011, 09:49 PM
Kate Chadderton Might not be to bad, believe she is in woodbine. Just east of Mt. Airy.

mythical84
Oct. 10, 2011, 07:38 AM
gypsymare: You might want to try Glenda Player at Playland Farm (www.playlandequestriancenter.com). She's practically in Frederick and has a lovely barn.

And of course I always recommend Kelley Williams at A Bit Better Farm (www.abitbetterfarm.com). I've been riding with her for a few years now, and am so so so thankful that I found her.