PDA

View Full Version : Electric tape - vinyl vs. plastic??

Flying Hearts
Aug. 29, 2011, 06:05 PM
I have used electric tape for years and love it. I am replacing some old wood fencing now with electric tape, and I bought what looked like normal tape from TSC and started putting it up. I then had a conversation with a farrier who said he had recently seen two horses get seriously hurt by the vinyl electric tape, which I realized is what I am now putting up. The plastic-ey tape, I have found out on multiple occasions, will finally snap in half when a horse runs through it (which I think it great for safety!) Apparently this newer vinyl stuff doesn't? Anyone have any experience with it? It's a bit wider than the usual 1/2 inch tape (I think it's an inch wide). It looks beeeautiful but now I'm worried about safety...

JB
Aug. 29, 2011, 06:59 PM
I haven't heard very many good things about any electric tape from TSC (or SS, or really any other brick & mortar store) - they don't hold up to weather long (sun, wind, etc) and other issues. But if this is something new(er), then I can't speak to it.

I just can't say enough good things about Horseguard tape though. Mine has been up 7 years now and it holds up to the ice and wind we get. My ONLY complaint is the insulators tend to get a bit creaky from the sun exposure, but it's not like they fall apart on their own. It just means I can't remove tape from any of them, and be able to re-use them. I've been using the new insulators for almost a year now, maybe a bit longer, and time will tell if they hold up better.

Flying Hearts
Aug. 29, 2011, 07:58 PM
Have you ever had a horse go through the Horseguard? Will it break with enough pressure? I'd like a tape fence that will break if a horse goes through it, not just tangle them up in infinite lengths of tape...

JB
Aug. 29, 2011, 09:12 PM
Yep, it breaks before they do IME.

NoDQhere
Aug. 30, 2011, 10:14 AM
Yes, Horse Guard will break if a horse runs hard into it. But it will also hold a reasonable push or glance off as well. Really great stuff. We have had it up since 2003 and have never had an injury!

JB
Aug. 30, 2011, 10:37 AM
Yes, good clarification, it's not like it will break if you look at it wrong LOL

Rio rolled too close to it several years ago, and ended up tangled in a strand, with it getting wrapped (how, I don't know) around a hind leg several times. He ran with it, breaking insulators, and the tape broke when it hit the tensioner at the end of that (thankfully short!) fenceline. Other than some "burn" from the tightened strand, he was perfectly fine.

Flying Hearts
Aug. 30, 2011, 10:50 PM
Great to know, thanks guys :)