PDA

View Full Version : Does Centaur Fencing Slip?

equusvilla
Aug. 29, 2011, 01:24 PM
We are thinking about using Centaur fencing to replace some back pasture fencing (quite a large area). While I like the product .. I was worried about having to constantly tighten the 'ribbons' and the way it would look if it sagged. Is this an issue? If so, how is it dealt with?

BasqueMom
Aug. 29, 2011, 01:53 PM
Centaur normally may need a tweaking or two after first installed. After that,
most folks don't much mess with it more than once a year, if that. We have had folks in very cold climates tell us they loosen a little before winter sets in and tighten in the spring. The fence contracts a little in cold weather and doing this takes some of the strain off their corners.

The new tensioners no longer have drop pins and only one "drive" is needed
to tension it. With the pins, it used to be a two person operation--one to tighten, one to drop the pins in.

And yes, it looks like c__p if not properly installed, tensioned and kept tight. Also the appropriate number of tensioners makes a difference. There is a brand we have seen a lot of in our area that looks like Centaur and sags badly among
other things. It is installed by actually drilling through the rail to attach the brackets and has no tensioning system. It's also a strange rubbery product that
falls off the wires over time.

equusvilla
Aug. 29, 2011, 02:43 PM
Thank you - I have not talked to a rep in our area yet as we are about to put in a new paddock that will be close to the house. It is just beautiful Black line fencing and is called forever fence.

Once that is in, we are looking to replace some back pasture fencing .. but choked at the cost of using the Blackline for the 7 acre track.

poltroon
Aug. 29, 2011, 02:59 PM
I have not had to tighten my Ramm flex fencing at all. I think one of the issues would be how firmly your corner posts are set, and whether or not they stay put. Ours are deep and in concrete and well braced. I am very happy with this style fence and recommend it.

2DogsFarm
Aug. 29, 2011, 03:00 PM
I have had Centaur - or a clone :uhoh: can't recall w/o looking at the original invoice - for 7 years now.
Top rail is 4" 2-wire with 3 strands of coated tensile beneath.

I have yet to retension anything and my former horses & present horse & pony all go through the middle lines to graze on the "greener" grass.

One line of wire - 2nd one down - in the smaller pasture, could use a little tweak, but it's not compromising the fence, so has yet to get done.

The top rail has survived Midwest Winters and the only damage done so far is from present horse nibbling at a corner. And that is cosmetic.

If I had it to over I'd do all rails and have the top & middle rails carry a charge.
IMHO, it is handsome fencing & low maintenance :yes:

judybigredpony
Aug. 30, 2011, 08:00 AM
I hate it..the horses will poke there heads thru and find it gives and then slide on out. Yes we have the new tensioners and you do have to tighten it 1-2X year. It also really doesn't work well inless you incoroprate electric w/ it to stop horses from leaning. Also don't get white it gets cruddy and mildewy stains.
We prefer the Poly-Tensel w/ board along top (outside electric) and use a powerful solar charged system. we electrify top and 3rd strand on a 4 strand system Looks great don't have to tighten horses can graze along bottom, top board makes a nice touch and adds to visibilty even though its white.

Edgewood
Aug. 30, 2011, 08:55 AM
Centaur normally may need a tweaking or two after first installed. After that,
most folks don't much mess with it more than once a year, if that. We have had folks in very cold climates tell us they loosen a little before winter sets in and tighten in the spring. The fence contracts a little in cold weather and doing this takes some of the strain off their corners.

We have a 10 year old Centaur fence and also a 4 year old Centaur fence (so some with the old and some with the new style tensioners). You do need to loosen in the winter and tighten in the spring because of cold weather (here in SE PA). But it is not hard to do and much better than replacing board fence.

I do have the white and like it, although it can get some algae on it over time (bleach spray takes care of that). I do have some horses who scratch on it, but only have had foals stick their head through it. Overall I quite like it. For instance, in the hurricane/Irene, we had a large branch (10 in diameter) fall on it with no damage. That has happened several times over the 10 years. Other types of fencing would be ruined by a big tree falling on it.

horsepoor
Aug. 30, 2011, 01:00 PM
We've had our Centaur HTP up for a few years now -- can't recall for sure if it has been 3 or 4 or 5 years... haven't tightened it yet, but it does need to be done. We had one post break due to poor installation and have to replace that before we can tighten. If SO doesn't get that done soon, I'll have to hire someone to come fix it. I love the fencing -- looks great and is safe and very low maintenance. I do have electric running on the inside to keep the butt scratchers off it. The only complaint I have, besides the cost, is that we did the brown and I've been disappointed to find that it fades, a lot. Mine is pretty light colored now compared to when we put it in. And I'm in the PNW where it isn't all that sunny most of the year!

We have some new pasture that I need to fence and I'm thinking I might go with just the one rail of Centaur HTP at the top and then several lines of the White Lightning (except in brown) below that. I've seen others have used that and I like the looks and it helps with the cost.

The key is to have the fence properly installed. Only issues we've ever had (like that post breaking) are where the installation was incorrect. The manual is excellent and they have folks available for help on the phone, so our installer really has no excuse, but I take the blame for poorly supervising. Lesson learned.

poltroon
Aug. 30, 2011, 01:36 PM
I have had the black up for 5 years and the color is holding.

philosoraptor
Aug. 31, 2011, 12:10 AM
I have another brand of Centaur-like flex-rail fencing. LOVE it. I re-tightened it once it was up a few weeks. It still looks good years later. I've yet to see it sag, crack, break, or otherwise fail. And this is with my horses who like to use it as buttscratchers.

The hurricane came through here over the weekend and knocked down 3 big trees onto fences. The section made of no-climb mesh is totally destroyed, as in shredded. I expect I'll have to replace quite a bit of it, now it's all stretched and buckled on that side of the paddock. The other pasture has the flex rail: a big tree fell against it, and it did not sag or break. Another tree along fenceline fell away from it, with the rootball pulling up into the fence, and again it did not sag or break. At worst I'll be putting in 1 new fencepost where the rootball was.

BasqueMom
Aug. 31, 2011, 12:32 AM
Horsepoor--how odd your brown has faded. We looked at a place back in 1995
that had brown centaur up when we lived in Colorado. It had been up for several years and still is. Last year, it was still very brown. Wonder if mildew or
mold has built up making it look faded.

There isn't any type of fence that won't show some mildew or mold in the right
climate. I've seen it on every type of fence here in Texas. Centaur does put
mildew inhibitors in their products but some climates still promote it. 10% bleach/90%water spray will get it off. Back in Colorado, even on a heavily treed lot, we never had a problem. But the area around Denver is considered
"high" desert, semi-arid....not much humidity.

Hadn't heard of Blackline fence--took a look. You might also look into Wind River Fence--similar but made out of the same material as heavy duty playground equipment. Plus the planks have a pin on each end inside the upright post that keeps the horses from popping them out. And I think the planks have a bit of flex to them.

equusvilla
Aug. 31, 2011, 03:29 PM
Hadn't heard of Blackline fence--took a look. You might also look into Wind River Fence--similar but made out of the same material as heavy duty playground equipment. Plus the planks have a pin on each end inside the upright post that keeps the horses from popping them out. And I think the planks have a bit of flex to them.

Wind River has a 20 year warranty. Blackline's warranty is lifetime and I quote:

"Subject to the conditions and limitations listed below, Blackline HHP Products, Inc. (BHHP) warrants its Blackline HHP„· brand vinyl fence, railing, accessories and gate products to be free from defective workmanship and materials and, when subject to normal use and service, against surface peeling, rot, ground insects, splitting, corrosion, flaking, rusting, blistering, abnormal weathering, abnormal distortion or abnormal discoloration. This warranty is limited to the lifetime of the original property owner for as long as he/she owns the real estate on which the product is applied."

This spoke VOLUMES to us!

horsepoor
Aug. 31, 2011, 11:52 PM
Horsepoor--how odd your brown has faded. We looked at a place back in 1995
that had brown centaur up when we lived in Colorado. It had been up for several years and still is. Last year, it was still very brown. Wonder if mildew or
mold has built up making it look faded.

I suppose mildew is possible; I was looking at it tonight and thinking I'll try washing it off to see if it changes the color. Not saying it isn't still brown -- it hasn't faded THAT much, but definitely appears lighter than the leftovers I have sitting inside the barn. Mildew in the land of rain...sounds quite likely, doesn't it?!

Supposed to be a warm, dry weekend so perhaps SO and I can get out there with some bleach mixture and see what happens.

artsmom
Sep. 1, 2011, 08:53 AM
We put up Ramm flex fence and love it. We have the white and on the inside where my gelding rubs his tail it is a little dirty but easily cleaned if desired. We haven't had to tighten even where he rubs. We did set all of our posts in concrete though to help keep it straight and tight (directions don't indicate that concrete is needed on all posts).