PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Flex-Fence / Flex Rail Fencing

Daventry
Aug. 27, 2011, 12:36 PM
I would like to hear the pros and cons of this type of fencing. Currently, we have board fencing with a hot wire running along the top board to prevent chewing...and I absolutely love it and it is beautiful to look at...but I don't love when one or two horses do decide to start chewing on the wood, and I certainly don't enjoying spending my precious time painting it every few years ;)

I've seen this type of fencing before, but didn't think it was suitable for us, with -40 F winter temperatures and three stallions on the property. We have approximately 6 acres of fence and cross fence that would need to be converted.

I've spoken to one person about it, but would like to hear from others. I'm aware that there is a warranty on it and that it needs to be installed properly. I have a "Mr. Fix-it" husband, so not concerned about the installation part. But, do you like it, have you had problems, is it really expensive? How has it handled cold temperatures, etc., etc.?

Examples of what I am talking about:
http://www.systemfence.com/index.php/browse/category/id/4fr

http://www.rammfence.com/products/fence/flex-fence-for-horses/high-impact-flex-fence-series-by-ramm/index.html

BasqueMom
Aug. 27, 2011, 02:20 PM
There are two major brands of Flexible Rail type fencing. One is John Wall Inc
who makes both Ramm and System Fence products.

The other is www.centaurhtp.com which we sell. Centaur HTP is the premium rail with CenFlex HTP the less expensive version. Centaur no longer makes a 4-inch rail. Both their rail products have a far nicer bracket and have performed well in cold temps. Centaur runs about $1.00 a foot per rail, so about $3.00 for 3 rail and $4.00 a foot for four rail. CenFlex is about $.70 a foot per rail so $2.10 for three rail and $2.80 for four rail. That does not include tensioners, etc or shipping which typically adds about 10-15%.

If you're feeling really flush, HotRail is a version of Centaur with one edge that can be electrified that is normally used for the top rail. In 8 years, we've never had a customer tell us their horses have chewed on the Centaur.

DiablosHalo
Aug. 27, 2011, 08:20 PM
I have 4 rail 5.25" rail fence. I love it! It's been up almost 10 years and still looks brand new! A pointer... KEEP the inside top electric wire. If you don't have that - the horses will lean over/through the fence, rub their butts on it, etc. Also - I have a few horses that try to chew the posts - especially the corner support posts (on an angle). You may want to spray those with nochew if possible. I have almost 10k feet of fence - so it's not possible here!

Daventry
Aug. 27, 2011, 08:23 PM
Also - I have a few horses that try to chew the posts - especially the corner support posts (on an angle). You may want to spray those with nochew if possible.

That is my worry. We would have all of the fencing on the inside, with the posts on the outside of the pens. But I worry that they may reach through and try chewing on the posts. Would much rather they chew on a $2.50 fence board than a fence post! :eek:

poltroon
Aug. 27, 2011, 09:30 PM
I have the RAMM flex fence in conjunction with no-climb and I love it. Don't have the cold temps you have though. Having the top rail at 5' was also a very good plan.