PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a Barnwarming Gift?

GrayCatFarm
Aug. 27, 2011, 09:29 AM
A colleague has purchased a small farmette for her four horses. The place needs work - pastures overrun with weeds, previous leasee tore all the fencing around the rings down (?), other fencing is hit or miss. Any suggestions for a barnwarming gift running under a $100? Oh, and one that doesn't carry negative implications? For example, I was thinking getting one of the portable canisters that she could put weed control into to spray around base of barn, edge of lane etc - but she might misinterpret that? Don't want to misstep or unintentionally offend. TIA

Alagirl
Aug. 27, 2011, 09:43 AM
portable canisters for weed control?:confused:

Anyhow, I think a tool box would be good.
A weed whacker or something, or a painting system for the barn or maybe the fences if board fence is there.
An armfull of step in posts for electric fencing...along with tape/wire/rope....

buckets and tubs...

I am for the practical gifts, not so much the showy ones (so you might get a box of diapers from me for a baby shower....not a cute outfit)

A medicine cabinet....

But a good set of fencing tools should do the trick...

Robin@DHH
Aug. 27, 2011, 12:10 PM
I was given two large stock tanks as a barn warming gift as well as a lesson in how to install barbless wire fence. Both were very welcome gifts. The one gift I bought for myself and would have loved to receive was a two wheel wheelbarrow; I love mine.

Sunnyhorse
Aug. 28, 2011, 04:00 PM
A dear friend of mine gave me my first tank heater as a Christmas gift. I still use it and thank her again every winter.

My2cents
Aug. 28, 2011, 04:06 PM
how about a coupon for your time? (as in helping her with a project). i know when i have things to do around the barn, i can be stubborn and will end up doing it all myself. if i had an official 'you can ask me' certificate, that would be cool.

pony grandma
Aug. 28, 2011, 04:12 PM
An apple tree. A picnic table for social time, good place for tack cleaning also (or for using as a mounting block too)

or - a mounting block.

Heated water buckets, if a winter area

Magnetic wand - when you need it it is useful!

Farrier rasp and pinch tester.

Sawdust shovel. manure fork

ANY hanger hooks. The portable ones for stall fronts and to take with in a trailer, an overhead for dumping halters lead ropes lunge lines on.

Or donate a day's time to help clean-up and fence.

deltawave
Aug. 28, 2011, 04:15 PM
I'm with my2cents . . . a day of willing labor would be so wonderful! If that won't work, maybe some nice potted plants to put outside and make the place look nice?

Alagirl
Aug. 28, 2011, 04:18 PM
I'm with my2cents . . . a day of willing labor would be so wonderful! If that won't work, maybe some nice potted plants to put outside and make the place look nice?

Like a hex sign? :)

rmh_rider
Aug. 28, 2011, 04:25 PM
Gift cards to HomeDepot or TSC or Walmart.

Or few hundred bales of hay, delivered and stacked of course.

Nes
Aug. 28, 2011, 04:39 PM
Just don't get her one of those barn stars...
(sorry everyone in the Ottawa area has one, it's a bit ridiculous...)

A cute sign or something may be nice, depending on her taste. You can get nice older farm items at auctions or antique shops.
Horse specific: hanging saddle rack/bridle rack.

Offering your time would probably be greatly appreciated.

I think buying her tools, etc. would be very difficult unless you know her very well and know what she would like, the weight of it or material etc. (maybe everyone else isn't as picky about that as I am ...).

JeanM
Aug. 28, 2011, 05:26 PM
A subscription to "Horse Journal" is very useful; http://www.horse-journal.com/ (& see if you can price shop for it via Amazon.com)

I was given a sturdy manure fork when I moved to my farmette; I very much appreciated it ;)

deltawave
Aug. 28, 2011, 05:34 PM
Actually I have a hex sign on my barn--LOVE them! Also a very nice idea. :yes:

Gavi
Aug. 28, 2011, 07:08 PM
If you have a tractor and bush hog and she doesn't have one yet, I bet she would appreciate a day of clearing out scrubs and cutting grass. A tractor can make short work of stuff that can appear impossible.
Sun hats and gloves are always needed.

Treasmare2
Aug. 28, 2011, 08:38 PM
A pair of kittens? I expect if its been vacate at all it has a rodent issue.

Alagirl
Aug. 28, 2011, 08:44 PM
A pair of kittens? I expect if its been vacate at all it has a rodent issue.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Cats, please...and a Jack Russel?
:lol::lol::lol:

wsmoak
Aug. 28, 2011, 09:12 PM
Definitely kittens!!!

I actually don't think the sprayer you mentioned first is a bad choice either. It's not a comment on the state of the place, it's just a useful tool to have. Give her the receipt in a sealed envelope in case she wants to return it.

A big, sturdy wheelbarrow is *always* useful. The 2-wheel Rubbermaid ones that I covet are over $200 but you can find a good 'regular' one in your price range.

A certificate for a day's labor is a great idea to go along with your gift, whatever you choose.

Burbank
Aug. 28, 2011, 09:25 PM
a good hose of a decent length, this is what my parents gave me and I use it constantly

your time and labor are always good if the place is a fixer up as you stated

we have some temp fencing that we use a premanant but our horses respect it, hers may not so maybe a gift card for fencing supplies

I gave my MOH a two wheel wheelbarrow and she still loves and uses it so maybe one of those

Tiramit
Aug. 29, 2011, 02:17 PM
About 20 years ago we were given a really nice set of hay hooks. They're still in use and have proven invaluable.

All purpose utility wagons are helpful. Even the 1 bale kinds sold at Tractor Supply.

Assorted snaps, rope, hooks, etc. There are never enough snaps and hooks around!

Heavy duty dry erase board with cork board.

jacksmom
Aug. 29, 2011, 02:53 PM
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&R=100593234&catEntryId=100593234

this kit and a good hammer. it's all we needed yesterday to knock out some quick fence repair. i should have bought it years ago - the small cordless circular saw rocks - you can easily cut down a broken fence board (lots of times it's only half the board, one section of fence).

Nlevie
Aug. 29, 2011, 03:02 PM
Our best "farm-warming" gift was a friend who came over with a 4wheeler and sprayer and sprayed our pasture. We too had a very overgrown and weedy mess. Or, if they don't yet have the appropriate tractor & brush-hog, mowing would also be a valuable gift ?

2DogsFarm
Aug. 29, 2011, 03:33 PM
If you have a tractor & can get it there, mowing or bush-hogging would be a great gift.

A friend did this for me - took her 45min to drive the ~5 miles to my place from hers.
But I was thrilled to have some mowing done by something larger than my lawn tractor.

I 2nd the 2-wheel wheelbarrow - also a lifesaver.

And if none of the above fit, then a gift of your time could never be wrong.

Alagirl
Aug. 29, 2011, 03:33 PM
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&R=100593234&catEntryId=100593234

this kit and a good hammer. it's all we needed yesterday to knock out some quick fence repair. i should have bought it years ago - the small cordless circular saw rocks - you can easily cut down a broken fence board (lots of times it's only half the board, one section of fence).

A reciprocating saw is nice to have, too...

spotmenow
Aug. 29, 2011, 07:26 PM
Barney, our barn cat, was our first barn warming gift. A very kind friend found him wandering her neighborhood; he was dehydrated and not fixed when she brought him to her vet. She got him neutered, vaccinated, and healthy before presenting him to us. He is a very special cat...

GrayCatFarm
Aug. 29, 2011, 10:53 PM
Great ideas! Next step is another trip out to scope out what she has and doesn't have. However, I'm thinking the free labor would be appreciated the most in the end. Not sure what big equipment she has (and I've got none) - just farm envy.

rustbreeches
Aug. 29, 2011, 11:03 PM
Take the $100 and rent her a highschool kid to weed eat!!! Check through your local FFA or 4-H. FFA labor auctions are a great way to get some help

Alagirl
Aug. 29, 2011, 11:57 PM
Gift cards to HomeDepot or TSC or Walmart.

Or few hundred bales of hay, delivered and stacked of course.

TSC has a big Sale coming up!

Rhyadawn
Aug. 30, 2011, 07:44 PM
Just don't get her one of those barn stars...
(sorry everyone in the Ottawa area has one, it's a bit ridiculous...)

A cute sign or something may be nice, depending on her taste. You can get nice older farm items at auctions or antique shops.
Horse specific: hanging saddle rack/bridle rack.

Offering your time would probably be greatly appreciated.

I think buying her tools, etc. would be very difficult unless you know her very well and know what she would like, the weight of it or material etc. (maybe everyone else isn't as picky about that as I am ...).

I'm so glad I'm not the only one sick of seeing those things!

If you were thinking of tools I would probably go with a gift card to a local hardware/farm store, and then a voucher for a day or two of your time.

Valentina_32926
Aug. 31, 2011, 11:56 AM
If you live nearby - how about a gift certificate to use your tractor to mow her pastures? That way you supply equipment and labor, leaving her free time to perform other chores (not certain what kind of mower she has but chances are there may be crap in the weeds/grass which might cause a standard under belly mower to get "messed up", so use of a tractor would provide her a view of the crap so she can eliminate it before destroying her mower.

msj
Aug. 31, 2011, 12:57 PM
I'm presuming there is a house there that she will be living in and a barn with stalls for the horses. How about an intercom system from barn to house. I'm totally lost without mine and you can probably find a decent one at Radio Shack for about $60-80.

I agree if you can give her a day or more of your time to help with clean up, fix up, clear up, etc I'm sure that would appreciated.

One can NEVER have too many pitchforks, snaps, screw eyes, etc.

wildlifer
Aug. 31, 2011, 02:00 PM
If she's a jumper, I think jump cups and poles also make great gifts, as do paint and buckets. Of course, labor is perhaps the best, LOL!

Alagirl
Aug. 31, 2011, 02:54 PM
If she's a jumper, I think jump cups and poles also make great gifts, as do paint and buckets. Of course, labor is perhaps the best, LOL!

oh. like those over the barrel jump cups?

NBChoice
Aug. 31, 2011, 04:37 PM
This isn't a very useful gift, but it's what I got for Christmas from a friend when our barn was being built and I really liked it.
She set up different types of tack/barn items into letters that spell out our barn's name and took photos of them. She then put each photo into a frame. It's hanging in my tack room.

mpsbarnmanager
Sep. 1, 2011, 02:42 PM
If that were me, I would really love to have help for a day cleaning or repairing something!

Nes
Sep. 1, 2011, 04:21 PM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one sick of seeing those things!

We turned it into a game :).

Someone near us has a record 7 on their HOUSE!!!
:sigh:

msj
Sep. 1, 2011, 04:46 PM
OK, can I ask what is the purpose of having those stars either on your house or barn or both?

baylady7
Sep. 2, 2011, 01:01 PM
First aid kit

Leprechaun
Sep. 2, 2011, 02:28 PM
I loved the apple tree or picnic table idea! I'll have to remember that.

Nes
Sep. 2, 2011, 02:33 PM
OK, can I ask what is the purpose of having those stars either on your house or barn or both?

I read a sign at a store selling them talking about Amish folk lore or something? I think they are supposed to be good luck but have become a hot decorative item.
Personally I don't "get" it :no:.

We just got an apple tree really in-expensively since they are "out of season" :rolleyes: at the nursery!

joshuac
Sep. 9, 2011, 07:41 AM
One of my best friends hat a barnwarming party last week and it was really a wonderful thing... it was so pretty for she hung so many Chinese Lanterns around the barn and when it got dark we could see the lights and we were all so happy to be there... it was really wonderful. Sometimes I really like a barnwarming party more than a housewarming :)

Actually she received several gifts from me and my girlfriend. A day before the party we sent her champagne by post (http://www.serenatawines.com/Champagne) to celebrate with herself and her husband that the barn was finally finished up and ready. And the next day we brought a big fat basket which included a lot of wonderful treats for her beautiful horse (it is called Vinegar, which I actually think to be terrifically beautiful as a horse name). She was madly surprised and loved it. I think it is not about what you give your friend - it is about the emotion you transfer with the gift... it is the 'hey, I care for you'; the 'hey, thank you for letting us have this fantastic party with you and we love you!'

kookicat
Sep. 13, 2011, 07:59 AM
I like the gift card and free work ideas. :)

MunchkinsMom
Sep. 13, 2011, 10:30 PM
If you go for a sprayer, I highly recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-W4-Spray-4-Gallon-Sprayer/dp/B00006LPPE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315967228&sr=8-1

I love mine!

Another one of my favorite farm tools is my weed popper:

http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Weasel-95006-Weed-Popper/dp/B0026WEA6A/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1315967311&sr=1-1

It really makes weed removal easy and fun.

FalseImpression
Sep. 14, 2011, 12:39 AM
I read a sign at a store selling them talking about Amish folk lore or something? I think they are supposed to be good luck but have become a hot decorative item.
Personally I don't "get" it :no:.

I don't even know what they look like... and I live in mennonite country!! Never paid attention to them if they exist around here!

Luckydonkey
Sep. 14, 2011, 09:38 AM
I think the backpack sprayer is an awesome gift idea! or if she doesn't have one, a nice dewalt cordless power drill/driver with rechargable battery packs. I got gifted one of those acouple years ago, and i LOVE it! Also, if you have a power washer, perhaps bringing it over and spraying out hte inside/outside of the barn to freshen it up before she moves in...

GrayCatFarm
Sep. 14, 2011, 09:43 AM
Munchkins Mom
Those were exactly what I was looking for. Will order one of the two, and give her a couple of hours of weeding time this weekend. Preventive maintenance before next Spring!