PDA

View Full Version : trailering, the truck...

Alagirl
Aug. 27, 2011, 01:38 AM
I forgot the horse angle I was gonna put on it...
Anyhow we got suckered into, erm, volunteered to haul a utility trailer with a small self propelled vehicle on it (k, it's a golf cart, to drive around the show grounds, erm, football field)

NOW....

we never trailered with the truck (I think it's a 2003 or 4 1500 silverado...has the bumper hitch, but for some odd reason no plug for the lights.

Now, seriously, who puts a hitch on a vehicle without the light plug?!!!)

1) I go to a trailer place to get the electrical fixed, right?
2) though the trailer has no known breaks, is a break box needed or should I just get it anyhow while I am there? (If yes, which size)
3) Lack of tie downs had us pull said golf carts to the front of the trailer...it pulled like crap. would having the load centered ease the strain on the truck?
Or should I insist to have the trailer vetted, since who knows when this baby has been serviced....I need to greaser the ball no doubt....

Only 3 more away games...go BAND

philosoraptor
Aug. 27, 2011, 07:41 AM
1) trailer place is who does all my wiring for trailer connectors. Yes, it is not that unusual to have a hitch and no wiring. The manufacturer sometimes includes a hitch as part of the "towing package". But because there are different types of connectors (eg. flat-4, round 6-way) and electronic brakes or not, I guess they figured they'll let the final user decide what kind of connector he/she needs.

2) small, single axle utility trailers often don't have brakes. That's because they should not be used to carry huge amount of weight. I think your first order of business is to find out how much this golf-cart thingie weighs and how much the proposed little utility trailer can carry. It is surprisingly easy to overload the little single axle trailers. Your basic golf cart may be 600+ lbs.

3) It may have pulled like crap because it's single axle with a heavy load (and possible was even overloaded). You want the load centered over the axle(s).

When in doubt, talk to your local trailer guy. You might be able to find out the golf cart's weight by googling or calling the manufacturer. In a perfect world, the trailer should have the weight stamped on it, but on some of them you may be lucky to find a brand name & model.

Alagirl
Aug. 27, 2011, 09:45 AM
thanks...
I need to look at the golf cart again then...

I loff it when stuff like that is sprung on me....NOT....
Thank goodness we only have a handful of away games.

GoForAGallop
Aug. 27, 2011, 10:05 AM
I am sure your truck is already wired up, it just doesn't have the plug. If you have someone who is even remotely handy at wiring (ie: can match colors/read instructions/strip and crimp some wires together) you can go pick up the appropriate plug from Walmart. Sling yourself under the back bumper, and when looking up from underneath, you should see the wiring harness to your right. Wire the plug in, and you're all set. For lights, anyway.

And in most every state, EVERY trailer needs lights or it's illegal. Reflectors, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if the trailer didn't have brakes. The reason it's hauling terribly could be underinflated tires (or over), a kink in the axle, unbalanced load, or you could have overloaded the trailer. Some of the tiny utility trailers are meant for hauling leaves to the dump and not much else.

Alagirl
Aug. 27, 2011, 10:32 AM
oh, good grief, it was a quagmire...:lol:

no tiedowns...so we pulled the golf cart to the front and tied some rope on it....so yeah, it was mostly in front of the axle.

I need to check the wires on it, I know the do-hicky that is supposed to hold hitch up is not working right, no telling what that means for the assembly!

I am assuming axle needs greasing...

ah, man, having a bunch of city boys around a trailer.....I was biting my tongue, cheeks and fingers....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Alagirl
Aug. 27, 2011, 04:24 PM
I just crawled under the truck and I did indeed find the plug for the trailer lights!
Thank you so much, kept me from looking like a girly girl going to the trailer shop!

Now I have to commandeer the trailer and have it looked over....

Christa P
Aug. 27, 2011, 06:33 PM
Could you just get some ramps, skip the trailer, and put the golf cart IN the truck? Might save a ton of headache.

Christa

Alagirl
Aug. 28, 2011, 11:19 AM
Could you just get some ramps, skip the trailer, and put the golf cart IN the truck? Might save a ton of headache.

Christa

<breaking out the tape measure>

GoForAGallop
Aug. 28, 2011, 12:52 PM
I just crawled under the truck and I did indeed find the plug for the trailer lights!
Thank you so much, kept me from looking like a girly girl going to the trailer shop!

Now I have to commandeer the trailer and have it looked over....

You're welcome. :) Pretty much after 1999, all trucks came wired for a trailer/brake controller. Just not all of them were ever "finished" with a brake controller plug/rear trailer plug, to save money.

Alagirl
Aug. 30, 2011, 05:05 PM
slight setback....
The converter I bought had the same end on it like the plug under the truck (female?) and I needed the other part to go in it. And of course, Hubby misplaced the converter plug so I could not take it back to the store...man, I swear.....

I found a fancy version though that promises to be the thing I need, but I need to attach it under the bumper some how....not looking forward to it, but a couple self drilling metal screws ought to do the trick....