PDA

View Full Version : Bugs in Ultium?

azdreamride
Aug. 26, 2011, 06:16 PM
is this normal?? we have very few feed stores locally who carry Purina Products,

I have tried two times to buy Ultium, for my re-hab TB, for some weight gain.

Each time I go to buy a bag, they are covered in bugs--not only on the outsides, but also on the inside of the bags---The feed store said it is normal this time of year in AZ and that it is no big deal.....Well, I just can't see knowingly feeding my horse bugs!! I purchase other products at a different feed store, i.e. rice bran, beet pulp, etc. and have never seen bugs in those bags.

it seems to be just with the bags that come from Purina....is this something that is normal for the brand?? Am I just crazy for not wanting to feed something infested with bugs??

thanks for the insight! I'm interested to see what other peoples experience is....

Bif
Aug. 26, 2011, 07:05 PM
Years ago I had that happen on some Ultium. My horse didn't really care for the grain, so it spent a few days (or, um, weeks) in its airtight, screwlid pestproof container. Opened it and there were maggots everywhere.

Probably not the sort of story you wanted...
:D

Tamara in TN
Aug. 26, 2011, 07:07 PM
well never been to you part of the world, but grain bugs in a building can be sprayed for...the spray smells slightly lemony

all Purina products have the date that they were milled stamped on the seam lines and you can tell how old the product it...lots of people think that is the "good until" date....it's not...it's when it was created.

I just cracked a new Ultium Growth and an Enrich 32...both were fine

Tamara

kelsey97
Aug. 26, 2011, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't be buying that story, or that feed, from that store. Bugs aren't normal in any type of feed. No, you ain't crazy, I wouldn't feed it either.

Bif
Aug. 26, 2011, 08:03 PM
I will say that that one bag (1st time I tried Ultium, too) was the only time I've ever had any issue with any Purina product. Of course, a fly could have slipped in there at some point while I was feeding, deposited eggs and fled before I closed it. It still creeped me out. :)

I think Purina isn't the problem. It does sound more like the local feed dealer doesn't bother with pest control. Ultium is a sort of "rich, moist" feed compared to some others and more likely to attract insects, maybe?

ponysize
Aug. 26, 2011, 08:42 PM
Actually they are more normal than you think. When it hits certain temps, they hatch. All feed suppliers go through this at some point or other. Is it a good thing? No. But it is normal. I would return it to the store. They can get a credit from Purina. I've seen this happen in many different brands.

Tamara in TN
Aug. 26, 2011, 09:17 PM
Actually they are more normal than you think. When it hits certain temps, they hatch. All feed suppliers go through this at some point or other. Is it a good thing? No. But it is normal. I would return it to the store. They can get a credit from Purina. I've seen this happen in many different brands.

yes they always do unless they have damaged it in their store.No questions asked

Tamara

JLR1
Aug. 27, 2011, 12:12 AM
It is an Arizona thing....every year around this time I get a bag with the tiny bugs. (Not Purina but Triple Crown). The remedy is something like leaving the bag in an open container in the sun for a little bit and that causes the buggers to migrate out....something like that...call the feed store.

jaimebaker
Aug. 27, 2011, 10:44 AM
well never been to you part of the world, but grain bugs in a building can be sprayed for...the spray smells slightly lemony

YOu know, that's really strange. Back when I fed Omolene I would get in bags and everything would be normal, great smell, etc. Probably a week or so into feeding I would notice these tiny little grain mites on my scoop. It was only when I began seeing the bugs that I noticed a lemony smell, like some sort of cleaning product. And I pre-fill feedbuckets for 5 days so it would be fine and when I opened the can again I would notice the smell. So it wasn't like the smell happened as I got further down the can. It would happen when the bugs appeared. No smell one day, smell the next. I just always figured the bugs breaking down the food was causing that smell.

I personally would throw the feed out when this happened. However, I always giggled at myself because they probably eat WAY more bugs than that while out on pastures. It just cleared my conscious that I wasn't FORCE feeding them bugs. LOL.

Holly F
Aug. 31, 2011, 02:18 PM
Grain Mites are very common, especially in hot or humid weather. The problem is once you get them they can spread. Usually it starts on feed that is old and then can even spread to new feed.

Yes, feed stores can treat for them if they notice there is a problem. If you get feed with bugs definitely take it back. Also check out your feed store and look around at other products to see if they are having a problem...the key is to make sure they rotate their stock and keep a limited amount of feed on hand during the hot, humid months.

For the person that was seeing the mites a week after they had taken the feed home...make sure you don't have any old feed or even old dog food lying around. It's possible you already had mites in your barn and then when you brought in the new feed they went for it.

My understanding is they won't harm the horse, but they can affect the palatibility of the feed.

To treat for it you need a permethrin spray. At a store all the feed would have to be taken out and then all the racks have to be sprayed and wiped down or else you may never really get rid of the problem.

Rio Blanco
Aug. 31, 2011, 02:41 PM
Usually if you take it back to the store, they'll refund it and sell it for 1/3 of the price as cattle feed - that's how we recouped our loss due to similar problems with the Purina feeds when I was a receiver.

That being said, I know that Purina, especially the wet feeds (omolene, etc.) have a tendancy to get mites and bugs within a month and a half of the manufacture date. I used to love Purina, but after working as a receiver I will never feed it again. Bluebonnet and Nutrena are the way to go....at least Nutrena is always willing to man-up and replace the defective product, even if it wasn't totally their fault.

Tamara in TN
Aug. 31, 2011, 02:49 PM
at least Nutrena is always willing to man-up and replace the defective product, even if it wasn't totally their fault.

what an interesting notion...to "man up" to replace someone else's flaw...

would it not be "mann-ing up" to not try to hook the company for the loss in the first place ?

Tamara

Rio Blanco
Aug. 31, 2011, 02:56 PM
When you get calls claiming a bag of feed killed the person's chickens or bladda-bladda-bladda....it gets mildly comical :) At least when I was receiver, we didn't try to hook the company for the loss, the rep would ask why we wrote off this or that from our sales and remove it from the inventory, I'd tell him what the complaint was, and he'd offer credit. Customer service from a vendor...rare, but nice! :)

I love our Nutrena rep :) When we can't help the person, he will....and he's like the only rep I can say that about.

Jewels09
Aug. 31, 2011, 03:08 PM
I've certainly had a bad bag of grain here or there from every manufacturer. I bring it back to the feed store and they replace it, no questions asked. They don't even look in the bags most of the time. Just find a feed store that is willing to work with you.

I have a boarder who has horses on ulitum and haven't had a problem with bugs but I have certainly seen mites in grain before