PDA

View Full Version : hauling w/ a jeep? is it possible or a wreck waiting to happen?

onelove
Aug. 26, 2011, 12:20 AM
The Jeep: 93 Cherokee Laredo V6 4.0 4WD

The trailer: a 2 horse bp w/ dressing room

I wanted a truck couldn't find one in my budget. Dad buys me Jeep instead. Was going to buy trailer after show season but not sure if hauling with a jeep is safe.

Thoughts?

Amwrider
Aug. 26, 2011, 12:27 AM
The closest I have ever been to being killed was in a Jeep Cherokee that was towing a steel 2 horse bumper pull and the trailer brakes did not work.

It took 3 lanes on the highway to stop it as the trailer pushed the Jeep forward and tried to jacknife/flip. The jeep was on two wheels headed towards the edge of the overpass we were on.....quite scary.

Jeeps do not have a long enough wheelbase to offer stability if the trailer starts to push on the vehicle.

BasqueMom
Aug. 26, 2011, 02:02 AM
Your engine isn't big enough to tow it for very long, transmission will go south,
am sure your wheelbase isn't even close to be long enough. You would be safer having the horse(s) tow the Jeep. And it won't begin to stop the trailer should the trailer brakes fail. You will need a weight distribution hitch/sway bars.

Sorry, don't mean to so negative but it sounds like your dad didn't do his homework on towing. Not all trucks are created equal for towing, either.

Way back when we looking for a tow vehicle as the F150 with a smaller engine we had wasn't cutting it to say the least, we went to a big horse show. DH was insistent on buying a Ford (I didn't care). A look at the vehicles on the exhibitors/competitors parking lot was 75% Ford F250s or bigger. We ended up with an F250 diesel that could tow our house and almost needed to put a sticky note on the dash to remind me the trailer was hooked up.

Perhaps taking Dad to a show and giving him a tour of the competitors parking lot would help him to see what is safe for towing. Good luck!

PRS
Aug. 26, 2011, 08:54 AM
The jeep is WAAAAYYYY too small to pull a trailer. You will blow up your engine and/or tranny if you and your horse don't get killed first. I think way too much of my horse and my life to take a chance like that.

GoForAGallop
Aug. 26, 2011, 09:22 AM
Absolutely not acceptable.

I'm a Jeep girl through and through (rocking a pimped out '87 Wagoneer) but I will be the first to tell you that that is not a suitable hauling vehicle.

BTW, you are driving a Grand Cherokee, not a Cherokee. Still not acceptable, but slightly less unacceptable.

Edit: I found a '99 GMC 2500 for $900 on craigslist last year. She's no beauty, but she runs like a Rolex and I have absolutely no sympathy for those who cry "no budget for a truck!" For the price you paid for the Jeep you could have had a perfectly acceptable hauling vehicle, it just wouldn't have been so pretty.

myLittleArabPony
Aug. 26, 2011, 10:21 AM
Wouldn't it depend upon the weight of the trailer and horses being hauled?

I've actually been wondering the same thing. We recently bought a 96 Grand Cherokee. It has a "towing package" and is supposed to be able to tow 6000 lbs. I was thinking I could find a "light" two horse to haul my 800 lb Arab/QH around and be well below the 6000 lbs. Bad idea?

SecondInCommand
Aug. 26, 2011, 10:59 AM
Wouldn't it depend upon the weight of the trailer and horses being hauled?

I've actually been wondering the same thing. We recently bought a 96 Grand Cherokee. It has a "towing package" and is supposed to be able to tow 6000 lbs. I was thinking I could find a "light" two horse to haul my 800 lb Arab/QH around and be well below the 6000 lbs. Bad idea?

In short, no.

The wheelbase on your Jeep is too short to be safe, and the towing package is likely designed for the rigours of hauling a landscaping trailer or small boat, not live weight. Live weight is a very different ballgame.

The Jeep is inadequately configured to stop your load, and while going is optional, stopping is not. It is also underpowered, and you may as well invest the money you will eventually have to spend on a tranny/engine rebuild on an appropriate tow vehicle from day one.

Do a search of previous threads, and look for RAyers comments especially. Do you know how much your trailer weighs?

You're in a bit of a tough spot, as if it's someone else buying your tow vehicle, you're at their mercy. It would be wise to convince your dad that this is an exercise worth doing correctly, or not at all. Spend the money on a commercial shipper instead, and save yourself a lot of grief.

Good luck!

tabula rashah
Aug. 26, 2011, 11:07 AM
In my more brilliant days, I hauled a 2H BP steel with a DR with a Ford Explorer. I am still alive- but it was a really stupid thing to do. It was not stable, was terrible up hills and I was probably lucky to stop. The last time I hauled with it- the transmission literally blew up (pieces shot through the hood) and I was stuck on the side of an unlit road with a horse in the middle of a giant thunderstorm (oh and this was before cell phones were the norm).
So no, IMHO, a Jeep is a not an option

Diamondindykin
Aug. 26, 2011, 11:09 AM
No, you should not attempt to haul a trailer with a Jeep Cherokee :no: If I were you I would sell the Jeep and buy an 3/4 ton truck to pull a two horse bumper pull.

Foxtrot's
Aug. 26, 2011, 11:50 AM
Maybe suggest to Dad that you would be safer in a truck (when you buy your trailer) and that the repair to the transmission would be more than the truck.

JB
Aug. 26, 2011, 11:54 AM
A jeep gets not only a "no" reaction, it's a "hell no" reaction from me LOL

Appsolute
Aug. 26, 2011, 12:09 PM
Sell the Jeep and buy a truck. If you want to haul, you need to have a truck, the Jeep won't do.

DO NOT DO IT

Seriously, its really really dangerous. I am sure your dad does not want to see you, your horses, or others on the road killed or maimed.

What is your budget? (whats the blue book on the jeep ;) )

F250 4x4 diesel $8,700 (http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2553523028.html) another for $5700 (http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2566721313.html)

F250 for $2400 (http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2566218064.html)

tasia
Aug. 26, 2011, 12:43 PM
A jeep gets not only a "no" reaction, it's a "hell no" reaction from me LOL

:yes: This!!!

vtdobes
Aug. 26, 2011, 12:59 PM
No way! I also love my Jeep (I have a '11 Liberty though) and would never even think about towing with a Grand Cherokee. As others have said the V6 is far too underpowered anyway and you'd never be able to stop in an emergency).

I am also of the mindset that not everyone needs a 3/4 ton truck to tow with either. I tow my 2 horse GN with a half ton Dodge (5.3L Hemi V8) and it pulls like a dream ;) Mopar power :)

Everythingbutwings
Aug. 26, 2011, 01:04 PM
We bought a 10 year old F350 7.3 diesel in 2000, hauled with it, drove it for years as my commuter vehicle and just last weekend sold it for $2K to a person who wanted it to pull her trailer. We replaced it with a 2002 F250 7.3 diesel. Guess what I'm commuting in?

My old truck got 16 - 18 mpg and was reliable.

We had a Jeep Cherokee years ago. Even our dog hated it.

goodhors
Aug. 26, 2011, 01:09 PM
The Jeep wreck that stick in my mind is the one where lady was pulling a 2H, loaded with one small QH, and got blown off the road by a Semi-truck. Land was flat, open prarie type, no WEATHER issues at all. She was going along about 60mph, semi passed and backwash of air hit her trailer. Trailer then started wagging the towing Jeep all OVER the road. Trailer then threw her Jeep and the trailer over into the ditch where the outfit rolled over once and landed on the wheels in the bottom of the big ditch beside the road.

Talking to her later, she said she had absolutely NO CONTROL of the Jeep to stop, slow down, steer. Trailer and horse out-weighed the Jeep, took control of the situation to throw the outfit off the pavement. Tail wagging the dog is how it was described. One of those "miracle" wrecks that were bad, but could have been lots worse. Horse lived, was badly bruised and had cuts, but he recovered eventually. Trailer held together during the roll, though he was the lone pea getting a shaking in his "pod". Trailer stayed hitched to Jeep, kind of amazing in itself. No one is sure whether it would have been worse or better if hitch had broken.

She was seatbelted, but still got flopped around sideways during the rolling, so was rather battered with head injuries, had broken arm and collarbone. She thought she was pretty lucky. She had driven this outfit a year before the wreck, did a fair amount of miles in that time. Guess her time was up that day.

No Jeeps for me, and CERTAINLY NOT recommended for pulling anything over a little rowboat or lawn mower 4x6ft size trailer with a TINY load on it.

onelove
Aug. 26, 2011, 01:20 PM
Yeah I kind of thought this way too. My dad raised me in Jeeps and he will drive nothing but a jeep. I will just keep it as my daily driver and keep pestering my neighbor for his f250. It's the truck I want and need but he wants too much for it right now, especially since its just sitting there with tree clippings in it. Kills me every time I drive by. So I will keep the Jeep make my dad happy and keep saving for my neighbour's already loaded and ready to haul the world f250.
Thanks guys :)

Foxtrot's
Aug. 26, 2011, 04:08 PM
Look out for the latest models they made the F-250 diesel 7.3 liter - solid, reliable transportation. My 22 year old 4x4 is going strong still, tho I would like to get a newer model eventually. I am very good at maintaining it and have Diesel Guy who I rely on.

2ndyrgal
Aug. 26, 2011, 05:04 PM
And print out ALL this thread to show your dad, who no doubt meant well.

Either that or it's time for him to cash in on that life insurance policy he bought when you were a cute little bundle of joy.

And a little FYI. My husband and I own a used car dealership. Want to know what vehicles are through the roof on price? Yep, good used trucks, especially anything bigger than an F150. Honey, if it has four wheels, starts, shifts and stops, it's too much money, just grit your teeth and write the check.

Those SUV type vehicles just do not safely pull a horse trailer, no matter what you do.

SonnysMom
Aug. 27, 2011, 06:23 PM
I used to tow an aluminum 2H bumper pull without a dressing room with a Jeep Grand Waggoneer. That thing was a TANK. It was really heavy and had a 360 engine it it. It got 10 miles to the gallon towing, not towing, AC on or off. It was really very stable feeling. I liked it better than my friend's Suburban with WD hitch.
That being said no way in heck would I town the a Grand Cherokee. Not even one of those little QH/pony trailers or a Brenderup. I certainly would not tow a 2H with a DR.

clanter
Aug. 27, 2011, 06:44 PM
here is the jeep you need to pull a horse trailer with

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/clanter/37702838.jpg

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=4672471

Kaiser Jeep, mdl: M35A2, 2.5 ton Cargo Truck with winch, sn: 04D31670032527567, 6x6, 9,167 miles, 199 hours, hard top, white multifuel engine, manual trans, Hood stuck, cannot open, Truck ran on 8-22-11

jn4jenny
Aug. 27, 2011, 07:42 PM
No. No. No. PLEASE no. Not if you value your life, the life of anyone else on the road, or your horse's life.

Tell dad that unless he's trying to get you killed, he can either pay for a proper truck or shunt that same money into buying you a Brenderup trailer. Because that is the ONLY thing you're going to pull safely with an old Jeep.

And FWIW, I am not one of these people who thinks you need a 3/4 ton truck to tow everything. There are certain larger SUVs that are very appropriate for a lightweight 2H BP with no dressing room. A Jeep is not one of them.

Rabtfarm
Aug. 28, 2011, 09:46 PM
What you are talking about would weigh in the 7500 lb range loaded with 2 horses, etc...and the vehicle would approximately weigh half that...penny wise pound foolishness. Too many idiots racing in front of you and making you stop on a dime to merit risking everything on an almost 10 year old undersized vehicle. I was going to say that if you were only towing around town once or twice a year on flat terrain it would be okay, but I remembered almost getting in trouble with a GMC 1/2 ton 1500 not being able to stop fast enough for an intersection 3 miles from our farm 7 years ago...best advice was Basquemom: to go to a show and shop the trucks being used there.

Belg
Aug. 29, 2011, 08:38 AM
here is the jeep you need to pull a horse trailer with

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/clanter/37702838.jpg

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=4672471

Kaiser Jeep, mdl: M35A2, 2.5 ton Cargo Truck with winch, sn: 04D31670032527567, 6x6, 9,167 miles, 199 hours, hard top, white multifuel engine, manual trans, Hood stuck, cannot open, Truck ran on 8-22-11

That.. is... awesome.