PDA

View Full Version : Indoor riding arena paint?

manentail
Aug. 25, 2011, 05:54 PM
I have noticed that many people have kick boards in their arenas that are kept finished wood. My arena kick boards are not in good enough shape to do that with (made of cheaper plywood and have holes in them). Will eventually need replaced but was wondering if painting would be a cost effective way to make the ring look nicer until we can afford to redo it. Would this look too tacky? My farm colors are hunter green and white, so I was thinking green kick boards and white from the top of them on the sides. My stalls are finished hardwood, maybe it wouldn't "go" together?

karlymacrae
Aug. 25, 2011, 09:39 PM
Won't look tacky, I've seen this lots :) Especially green and white!

manentail
Aug. 26, 2011, 05:23 AM
Do you have any pictures of it? I did a search and came up empty handed.

Equibrit
Aug. 26, 2011, 09:53 AM
Make sure ir doesn't play any visual tricks with the horses.

goodhors
Aug. 26, 2011, 01:18 PM
I would go with white on the kickboards themselves, for adding light to the arena. You could purchase barn paint in big buckets, might be cheaper than gallon cans of other paints. You could add green dressage letters on the white, other things you may want highlighted can be green on the white.

Green is nice, but seems like with indoor arenas, any way to lighten them up is an improvement. Kickboards are a lot of surface. Making boards be a white surface could be as good as adding some more lights. If they get dusty, a leaf blower can remove what has settled on them pretty fast and not much labor for you.

karlymacrae
Aug. 26, 2011, 05:48 PM
Do you have any pictures of it? I did a search and came up empty handed.

this is the place that first came to mind, bottom left hand corner http://www.wecreateriders.com/boarding.html

2ndyrgal
Aug. 27, 2011, 08:01 AM
I got my guy to do a "marine grade" paint, meaning, it's oil based, you could paint a boat with it. Which means I don't have to be careful when watering the arena footing.

Just use white, it brightens things up a lot.