PDA

View Full Version : The Inaugural Cantaloupe and "Trained" Cats

dressagetraks
Aug. 25, 2011, 02:15 PM
I just had the inaugural cantaloupe for lunch! Kind of small, but I've figured out by now from the peppers, etc., that I am not going to get grocery store standard. They probably use chemicals on theirs, though, and mine are pure organic. But for all its smallness, it had excellent flavor. And several more mini cantaloupes are on the vine. One of my most anticipated crops, finally literally bearing fruit. :D:cool:

Then I went outside to give the horses their share, the rinds. It not being scheduled serving hours, the critters were all elsewhere, nobody in sight except the dog who had followed me out. So as I started tossing rinds over the fence for a scattered multi-horse pattern, I whistled.

Immediately, Toccata answered from down the hill - like his dam did, he has a voice like a bugle. But a few seconds later, before the horses were even in sight, I also heard a meow from behind me, and I turned around to see Emily Dickinson emerging from cat warp and heading across the yard at a businesslike trot. Had to laugh at her. Never once have I insulted the dignity of a cat by attempting to whistle for them. When I want Emily, I call her by name, which she will also reliably respond to. But she obviously has put together for herself the fact that when the horses are out of sight and I whistle for them, I often wish to feed them, so she was coming to investigate the possible menu herself. She didn't want a rind; I offered. Gave her an ear scratch, though.

I wish I had a video of that, just as a gag. My cats come when I whistle. :)

2DogsFarm
Aug. 25, 2011, 04:09 PM
My cats come when I whistle. :)

Pfffbbbt!
You think Emily Dickinson (love her name!) would allow herself to be videoed coming when called?
And possibly end up on YouTube?
As
If
!

My little barncat came to fetch me this morning while I was busy with the chickens in their coop.
I heard scratching at the door and opened it to see her peeking around the corner.
She does not mingle with the chickens, but she had to make sure I understood breffy was a tad bit late today.
Duly noted, your Highness.

I envy your melons (erm, you know what I mean...).
The peaches I was hoping to pick treeripe this week got taken by the folks I invited to pick my surplus of pears while I was gone this weekend.
Sigh - guess I did not specify which fruit trees were off-limits :no:
I have enough for snacks and perhaps one lonely jar of peach butter, but no extras to freeze for Winter.

Your homegrown stuffs will rarely equate to the hormone-loaded grocery specimens.
But the taste will be infinitely better :yes:

dressagetraks
Aug. 25, 2011, 04:42 PM
Emily was named due to her vocabulary. Whether you like or hate the works of Emily D., you have to admit that she was prolific.

Emily was a starving street kitten in the city. I trapped her. The night I had caught her and was importing her to the farm, I was driving home, cage on the seat next to me. That cat cursed at me for 45 minutes straight WITHOUT repeating herself once! :yes: She would have made a sailor blush. I had to admire her range and eloquence. Most cats would have simply harped on one phrase ad nauseum, but not Emily. Named her Emily Dickinson during that ride.

Of course, she quickly figured out that I am Santa Claus with a sack full of cat food instead of presents, and all was immediately forgiven. She still has quite a vocabulary, though. She most recently really lit into me when I returned from WEG (10 day vacation). She had to emphasize how utterly unacceptable this was, even with a pet sitter.

I'm thrilled about the cantaloupe! This is my first garden this year, some trial and error, got started late anyway and then version 1.0 got washed out in the Great Deluge last spring, so had to proceed to version 2.0. Have encountered hornworms, bean flop, watering issues during the drought, etc. But to date, actually harvested and eaten (or frozen), so not counting the split/lost/fallen/stepped on accidentally:

33 okra
19 cucumbers
14 tomatoes
16 peppers
13 lima beans
1 watermelon
1 cantaloupe

Still growing and hope to harvest more before cold hits: Peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelons, cantaloupes, and corn (now proudly bearing ACTUAL EARS :yes:). The okra is starting to look a little okra'd out.

arabiansrock
Aug. 25, 2011, 06:39 PM
My daughters cat comes when she whistles! From anywhere in the house, she whistles and Sasha comes to her. Of course she did spend an entire summer vacation bottle feeding sasha so maybe that has something to do with it.

fooler
Aug. 25, 2011, 10:29 PM
Welcome to world of cats and dogs.

Have had several kitties who responded to whistles. My current barn kitties will come to a whistle, kitty-kitty or by name.
Of course the dog seldom responses to a whistle but will almost always come running for kitty-kitty!:lol::lol: