PDA

View Full Version : Hoof boots on treks

sophie
Aug. 24, 2011, 08:46 AM
Ok, I've done a search about this but the threads I found were old.

For those of you who go on treks or several days trail rides, which boot do you carry with you in case your horse loses a shoe?

I'm going on a trek next year with my sister and she asked me about this. She typically rides 15-20 miles a day at most. I only have used the old (original) easy boots, and have had good luck with them (after mutilating them into fitting my horse, hehe) but I see the company doesn't even make those anymore!

So, which boot would be best? One that STAYS PUT and has good traction is more important than one that's easy to put on / take off.

Thanks!

rugbygirl
Aug. 24, 2011, 10:59 AM
I wasn't riding this horse, but I was very surprised to see how the Cavallo sport boots performed on a recent 5-day ride.

They look clunky, and like they couldn't possibly stay on...but they did. Through water, muck, dirt, shale, climbs, descents...the rider thought to make a trial of them on a multi-day mountain ride, fully expecting to have to drop out of a day or two...but her horse did really well in these, and the boots outperformed both easy-boots and a pair of Renegades on other horses (easy boots all lost in a slough, Renegade cable failed on one boot during a river crossing.)

If Cavallo makes a good fit for your horse, these might surprise you too! Kind of clunky to haul around as a spare though, an easy boot is much smaller.

Another rider on this same trip had the Renegades, which I still prefer from a design perspective...she had no issues with them.

Learning about both types though, neither would work to replace a shoe on my horse...even with a pad. I'd be mainly walking back either way, I think. All of the boot-users had made sure that their horses had several weeks' hoof and sole growth before coming out to toughen up. No foot soreness in any of them, but most are barefoot in their regular jobs. My horse is shod full-time and gets really sore without shoes (thin, thin soles.)

---

One thing though, make sure you test out the boots before you start the trek! It's kind of surprising how many people I've met who bring them on big trips without trying them on any kind of real ride first. It's expensive to find out that your Easy Boots aren't QUITE the right fit when you're up a mountain pass in a slough up to your horse's shoulder.

Meadow36
Aug. 25, 2011, 09:18 PM
Since you mentioned Cavallo, they do have a new model, the "sport" boot which has a promotion at Valley Vet: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=6a0e9429-58b7-4737-a217-96df1f9be008&gas=cavallo

Supposedly these aren't as clunky and are an improvement over the original model. I am considering getting a pair of these for my husband's trail horse; he only goes on casual rides so I didn't want to shell out big bucks for easy boots or renegades.

sophie
Aug. 27, 2011, 08:04 AM
Thank you for the input. I will share it with Sis. Those Cavallos are still $100 a pop even on sale!!!

As for fit, a little duct tape or vet wrap on the foot, before putting the boot on, can do wonders in a pinch.
And of course, if we carry boots with us, we'll never lose a shoe!