PDA

View Full Version : How do you find a Reputable Hay Seller from out-of-state?

Blue Yonder
Aug. 23, 2011, 05:00 PM
We're smack-dab in the middle of Texas, and parched. Just completely parched. Every day that's hot and dry is one day closer to cooler and wetter, we say, but still -- hot and dry. Sigh.

I am not desperate for hay yet, thank God, which gives me some wiggle room. We have about 50 super roundbales put up. My hay guy mentioned though that the next cutting is going to be somewhere between $375-450/ton for irrigated grass hay, which puts me in a mind to look well out-of-state!! :eek: At that price, shipping in suddenly becomes an option.

How, though, does one go about finding a "reputable" source? I'd love to work with a hay farm somewhere. Anyone have any that you've worked with that provided great hay with minimal drama? Any websites that you've come across?

As you can imagine, as the drought has progressed, more and more people "have hay" and have popped up trying to make a few bucks. I am gun-shy, hence the appeal to COTH for wisdom!

Thanks a bunch, and all you TX peeps -- keep your chins up!

Bluey
Aug. 23, 2011, 09:02 PM
Where you are, you probably can get hay from NM, they have been cutting plenty lately, once the monsoon rains started there about a month ago.

Around here, Craiglist has many ads, but you have to go check them over, or agree that you won't take the hay if it is not as advertised and when it gets to you, it better be, or you turn them down.

We got our alfalfa from a grower in Fort Sumner, but the dealer would not give his sources, those are very secret right now.
Generally we get our hay from Memphis, but they have been now almost 90 days over 100, many days 118 and not grown or baled anything hardly this year and he told me to go looking around and I did.
I may still put up 100 more bales, if I can find them, as I have several friends/neighbors already begging for what I have.

Guess that your area is in the same pickle.:(

Tamara in TN
Aug. 23, 2011, 09:22 PM
lose several thousand with losers first :>

Tamara

Blue Yonder
Aug. 24, 2011, 12:46 AM
Yeah Bluey, we're up to a whopping 0 cuttings for the year, so the 2 neighbor hay guys I usually buy from are in the same boat as me. Not irrigated? Forget it.

The livestock auctions are INSANE down here -- folks are selling everything. They're moving 1300ish cows every week in Seguin, won't even take donkeys. A friend got called in to help there, and said last week a bunch of skinny foals ran through, and brought $6, 7, 10 dollars. Heaven help us.

Thanks a bunch, Tamara! :winkgrin: That's generally what I'm trying to avoid, and totally what I'm afraid of.

Will investigate NM further.

Bluey
Aug. 24, 2011, 01:02 AM
Irrigation is no match for three months of every day well above 100 and even if you raise the hay and swathe it, you still don't have enough moisture to bale it, won't stay in bales, they will fall apart.:(

Do look in Craiglist for your area, there are NM hay growers and brokers advertising there.
As long as you don't pay before you see and inspect the hay, you are not risking anything.
Just don't fall for that "send me a deposit".

Tamara in TN
Aug. 24, 2011, 08:13 AM
Thanks a bunch, Tamara! :winkgrin: That's generally what I'm trying to avoid, and totally what I'm afraid of.

well you wanted an honest answer :) I hear people complain loudly about hay "dealers" and "brokers" and the sort about how we are all out to rob and rape and pillage...but the truth is in "commercial" wholesale hay dealings about 20% of any given load,is not going to be what we ordered...

either the barn guys just load away or the roof leaked or the bottom bales were included or whatever...and it takes about three loads to work all the kinks out between a big farm 2000 miles away and you...so 20x3=60% of a full semi and that loss is normally eaten by the supplier and the freight (good hay or bad) by the buyer...(does anyone here want to order a $4000 load of hay to think that $800 worth will be useless? nope...they'd squeal like baby pigs turned upside down:lol:)

so both sides,if they are honest,have a gentleman's agreement to work together until the "groove" is established...if you never order more than one or two trucks in a year you don't get that "groove" and the growers know it...

so they don't want to fiddle with you, but someone who does "deal" the hay and that person buys the 20-40-60 semi loads and sorts it out for you the one semi load person.

They(the dealers) take the loss on the crap hay and charge you a bit more for the freight and (hopefully) proper sorting and they are repaid with the difference for their trouble.

Tamara

Blue Yonder
Aug. 24, 2011, 08:47 AM
Actually, that makes a whole lot of sense. Mayhaps I'll be able to find a dealer still accepting new clients.

Tamara in TN
Aug. 24, 2011, 08:55 AM
Hay is no different than pinhooking horses or cattle or anything else.You buy it,hope for the best, and see how it goes and hopefully don't go flat broke somewhere in the center <ha>

Tamara