PDA

View Full Version : Chicken question

casper324
Aug. 23, 2011, 10:57 AM
Of course my one free straight run chick is a rooster but he sure is pretty! My question is I have Ornimental rare breed chickens. THe rooster is a real pretty black and white with long feathers. What would happen if he bred with a one of the mop top chickens? Could I get some black and white long feathered chickens with mop tops?
What does a mutt chicken look like?

Nes
Aug. 23, 2011, 11:03 AM
Mutt chickens can look like pretty much anything.

That is why people breed "purebred" strains of any animal, the offspring should be mostly predictable as to what you're going to get.

At the end of the day, I say they are chickens, go for it! If it doesn't work, you've got dinner ;).

danceronice
Aug. 23, 2011, 12:13 PM
Who knows? They might end up plain brown. (Genes are funny things.) If you have the room, don't mind extra chickens, and your chickens will actually lay and set, try it and see what happens.

(And we want pictures...)

kinnip
Aug. 23, 2011, 12:28 PM
Go over to the backyardchickens.com forum, find the genetics topic and ask. Ideally, you'll get an answer from a guy with the login tadkerson. He's amazing with genetics.

KarrotKreek
Aug. 24, 2011, 01:13 AM
I've crossed polish with other breeds. You won't get mop tops. You may get some interesting combs on roosters. Possibly some Donald Trump style hair do... Not enough feathers for a mop and barely enough for a comb over.

TaliaCristianna
Aug. 31, 2011, 03:51 PM
In my experience it has always been a complete crapshoot.

I have hatched a few Barred Rocks/French Copper Marans crosses. A couple of the hybrids look very much like the purebred Barred Rocks - complete with striped feathers. Most of them however, look nearly identical color-wise to purebred Copper Marans.

I also have some Olive Egger chickens which are Ameraucanas crossed with the French Copper Marans. By and large they get the FCM coloring, but other traits such as the feathered legs (from the Marans), pea combs/muffs (from the Ameraucanas) and leg color varies from chick to chick.

The Marans body coloring seems to be very dominant in general - with the exception of a couple of the Barred Rocks crosses.

So, I would say it depends on your chickens and there is no way to really know until you hatch some. You may get a mix of different colors or you may find out that one color is always very dominant over the others.

equusvilla
Aug. 31, 2011, 05:17 PM
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Rocks/ColRockP3.JPEG

This is a picture of what pure bred Columbian Rock hens look like. I bought what were suppose to be pure bred eggs and hatched 2. One rooster is solid white with pale gray tail feathers and the other hen is solid black with pale gray feathers around her neck only...

so what I am saying is .. it is all a crap shoot! Good luck.