PDA

View Full Version : My Horse Likes Tomatoes!

dressagetraks
Aug. 23, 2011, 03:33 AM
I discovered accidentally the other day that one of my mares likes tomatoes! I even tried a second tomato as a test just to make sure that it wasn't the novelty. Nope, she definitely likes tomatoes.

Then last night, I was in the garden in the tomatoes hunting a nice one to have with dinner, and I heard that whicker-rumble that usually comes only at feeding time. Looked up, and there was Twister standing at the fence right next to the garden, looking at me, ears pricked. Definitely a specific order. I found one for her and picked it, tossed it over, and she was on it immediately. Munch, munch, munch.

Maybe I need to plant more tomatoes next year for the horses. Silly me, I had been thinking of mundane things like carrots for the equine appetites.

Bacchus
Aug. 23, 2011, 08:47 AM
My dogs eat my tomatoes out of the garden:(

pony grandma
Aug. 23, 2011, 09:04 AM
And mine eat the huge blimp sized zucchinis. I toss them over the fence line hard enough to bust them apart. Nothing wasted!

JB
Aug. 23, 2011, 09:05 AM
Do NOT feed tomatoes to horses :no:

Potatoes either.

They are members of the nightshade family, which also includes (besides nightshade) that nasty weed horse nettle. The plant parts are a much bigger problem, but still, don't feed the fruit

Char
Aug. 23, 2011, 09:07 AM
My guy LOVES watermelon - all of it. Rind and all. :cool: Takes him to slobbery ecstasy every time. :lol:

Bluey
Aug. 23, 2011, 09:31 AM
My guy LOVES watermelon - all of it. Rind and all. :cool: Takes him to slobbery ecstasy every time. :lol:

Mine also. They stare at the house in the mid afternoon, waiting for their share.

I have also heard tomatoes were not good for horses, but I can say my dogs love them.

rmh_rider
Aug. 23, 2011, 09:37 AM
What JB has said.

My horses also like tomatoes, but I do not feed them to them.

And with regards to dogs. no no no.

The night shade family is poison to horses, and dogs.

dressagetraks
Aug. 23, 2011, 09:42 AM
Hadn't occurred to me that they might be bad for horses, given the number of other assorted species that eat them and have no problems. I'll deprive Twister, but she won't be happy.

Mine absolutely love watermelons, too. And cantaloupe. :yes:

ex-racer owner
Aug. 24, 2011, 10:08 PM
I have been having problems with *someone* munching on my tomato plants all summer long. They have been eating not only the leaves, but the fruits also. I was attributing this to a specific deer. I came home from vacation last week and headed out to check on my garden and feed the birds. Imagine my surprise when I look at my old oak tree and see one of my resident squirrels peaking around the tree trunk at me with a green tomato in her mouth! I did not know that squirrels would eat tomatoes!

MistyBlue
Aug. 24, 2011, 10:12 PM
You and me both ex-racer owner. I have gobs of deer and assorted other wildlife in my yard all the time. And yet the *only* animal I have bothering my garden plants is a single chipmunk. Who loves tomatoes. :confused: :D

It only eats little holes in them and then removes all the seeds. :lol:
Since I'm not overly plant savvy...it was quite a surprise the first time I went to pick a ripe tomato and had it collapse in my hand because it was hollow! :eek: :lol:
It only likes them after they turn red, then it eviscerates the low-growing ones. Cheeky little thing!

gingerbread
Aug. 24, 2011, 10:20 PM
I imagine that, a single tomato here and there, is not going to harm an animal the size of a horse...

My two equines shocked me the other day by wanting to eat broccoli rabe I was carrying back from the garden. They are spice-meisters, known to like radishes, too!

buck22
Aug. 25, 2011, 08:13 AM
as JB said tomatoes, like potatoes, are in the nightshade family and not a good idea for horses.

My horse actually ate some nightshade a few weeks ago, I was grazing him and he found a plant hiding inside a honeysuckle bush. I had no idea the nightshade was there.

Ate just a few berries before I could stop him (that look just like little cherry tomatoes) and all of a sudden I was cancelling my work for the day, on the phone with my vet, and on horse watch for the next 24 hours. He did have a mild colic that evening.

JB
Aug. 25, 2011, 09:02 AM
I imagine that, a single tomato here and there, is not going to harm an animal the size of a horse...

1 leaf of a yew can kill a horse.

It's not about the amount of "thing" eaten relative to the size of the creature that ate it.

No, a cherry tomato is not likely to cause a horse a problem, but a large one might. And then, why risk any of it when it shouldn't be fed/eaten in the first place?

Buck, yikes, I'd have been freaking out too! I mostly find horse nettle in my flower beds where it likes to get a really good hold in the shade before it finally announces itself as a large plant :mad: I need to go take a careful walk of my pasture right now as it's sparse enough they might start eating something they shouldn't. I put hay out, but they'd rather pick at whatever grass is left :mad:

danceronice
Aug. 25, 2011, 10:23 AM
Uh, just something to consider: the leaves of tomatoes and potatoes are toxic to HUMANS. All nightshades are poisonous. The fruits of the tomato and the tubers of the potato, however, are not. Otherwise we would all be dead. Those look-alike nightshade berries buck22's horse at would likely have killed a person or made them very sick. A tomato would not. Yews are poisonous to humans, too. If it will not poison you, the odds are good that serving size will not hurt your horse, either.

A tomato or a french fry is not going to hurt a horse. Just don't feed them the greens/vines of either plant. And don't mix up tomatoes with the nightshades that look like them.

bayhorsegirl
Aug. 25, 2011, 11:00 AM
We have a big vegetable garden at the farm that I was harvesting the other day. I picked a ton of tomatoes and had to throw even more rotten ones over the fence. Imagine my surprise when later that evening as I was driving down the driveway and a big orange fox ran in front of my truck with a huge tomato in his mouth! I had no idea they ate veggies, and have never heard of a horse eating a tomato either.

Bacchus
Aug. 25, 2011, 02:06 PM
My dogs have been stealing my tomatoes for two years. Literally -- I haven't had a ripe one in two years! Very depressing. No sick dogs in two years, either. One is 76 lb, the other is 18 lb. (Last year I had a 100 lb foster dog, too, who taught the others about stealing tomatoes. I thought I'd be OK this year when he went back to his family, but no such luck.)

Next year, a fence goes up around the garden -- not to stop them from getting sick, since that's never happened, but to let me have some tomatoes! I think they are eating hot peppers, too, but not sure. Just haven't seen one yet on one of the plants. I don't even know how hot they are;) Maybe that plant produces sweeter peppers.

danceronice
Aug. 25, 2011, 02:28 PM
My dogs have been stealing my tomatoes for two years. Literally -- I haven't had a ripe one in two years! Very depressing. No sick dogs in two years, either. One is 76 lb, the other is 18 lb. (Last year I had a 100 lb foster dog, too, who taught the others about stealing tomatoes. I thought I'd be OK this year when he went back to his family, but no such luck.)

Next year, a fence goes up around the garden -- not to stop them from getting sick, since that's never happened, but to let me have some tomatoes! I think they are eating hot peppers, too, but not sure. Just haven't seen one yet on one of the plants. I don't even know how hot they are;) Maybe that plant produces sweeter peppers.

I had a groundhog with a taste for....anything. Bought hot-pepper spray wax, sprayed all the young plants..problem solved. Now, if I could find something that stops boreing insects...