PDA

View Full Version : Tarp on sawdust falling apart--again!!

LookmaNohands
Aug. 22, 2011, 09:10 PM
So I discovered a few years back that the blue tarps lasted about a year and the silver and black ones lasted about 2 years so that is when I started buying the silver and black ones. But these days they don't even last a year. Mine is shredded and I bought it last fall. :(

Does anyone use a canvas tarp on their sawdust pile?

They are much more expensive. The size I need would cost at least $100.:eek:

Any recommendations?

ReSomething
Aug. 22, 2011, 09:17 PM
We had what you might be calling a canvas tarp. It came from a trucking firm and had been used to cover loads, then it was cut down and we got a couple chunks of it. It lasted for at least five years and IIRC got "borrowed" and not returned. It was a thick fabric with a coating on both sides and the closest thing I can think of is the stuff used for rental awnings and tents for events like weddings etc.. Quite heavy and never seemed to be affected by UV the way those less expensive tarps are.

But like I said, they do tend to grow feet and walk off as they are really nice.

potteryshop
Aug. 22, 2011, 09:24 PM
We use one sold by Northern Tool. Gold/tan. Lasts about 4-5 years, but is hung over the "bin", not directly on the shavings. Yep. Expensive. Just replaced it last spring.

clanter
Aug. 22, 2011, 10:13 PM
if the trap is to keep the saw dust mostly dry look at a surplus parachute… you would a personal chute....it should be about 32 in diameter

We use a B52 landing drag chute which is slotted to provide shade for the ponies…the slots allow the wind to blown through. It has been out in the sun for eight years and it is nearly as strong as ever...this B52 chute is sixty feet in diameter

tle
Aug. 23, 2011, 08:57 AM
I purchased a tarp to cover my rabbits a couple years ago online from TarpsPlus.com. They have a HUGE selection in various dimensions, colors and strengths. I was very happy with the tarp I purchased (heavy and white).

clanter, where would you even start to look for such a thing?

pony grandma
Aug. 23, 2011, 09:02 AM
Get an old billboard. It's the same as a heavy duty truck tarp except much cheaper. My husband has gotten them when they got donated to the Habitat ReHome store.

casper324
Aug. 23, 2011, 10:52 AM
Recycled Billboards! I just got one to cover my hay hut and love it. Ok there is a bald guy on it but ya really have to look to see it. We did it print size up because the colors looked nice against the barn and and we all swore we couldn't see the bald guy. Now the bald head screams at me!

Check around, I bought mine from recycledbillboards.com and after I ordered it saw one in CL for less then 1/2 the price.
I think these are 30 Ply what ever and the blue tarps you get at Home Cheapo are .5 ply.

UpperFallsFarm
Aug. 24, 2011, 09:02 AM
The tarps you are having issues with are made to fall apart for environmental reasons.

Try shopping at Farmtek or Northern Tool for their tarps for hay and such. They will hold up for years. However they are a lot heavier and much more expensive!

The Billboard idea is a great one. I personally have never had the opportunity to find one to use but would consider it!

Good luck!

Diamondindykin
Aug. 24, 2011, 11:32 AM
I use heavy black plastic on my shavings pile. I bought a huge roll from the hardware store for $96 and only used maybe half of it for a full load of shavings. I have been using the same ones for three years and they look the same as the day I put it on :yes:

Nes
Aug. 24, 2011, 01:30 PM
What about using a car-port or something to keep the shavings dry instead of a tarp on top of the shavings which is holding moisture down, probably that & sun is what is breaking it down.

BEARCAT
Aug. 24, 2011, 10:07 PM
Love my billboard!

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1796/12924446/22998264/397376826.jpg

Made with hog panels + 1/3 of those huge billboard - other piece is over my hay.

Amwrider
Aug. 24, 2011, 10:33 PM
Best thing I ever found for keeping shavings dry is a vinyl pool liner, the kind that is used for above ground pools. Mine lasted about 5 years. They are very heavy though.

ReSomething
Aug. 25, 2011, 10:56 AM
Love my billboard!

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1796/12924446/22998264/397376826.jpg

Made with hog panels + 1/3 of those huge billboard - other piece is over my hay.

Aha! We have the same setup with arched cattle panels for a small rabbit house - you've given me a good idea!

I was thinking these were freeway billboards and it wasn't computing - at all - these are what I would call large banners. But by whatever name they'd work!

BEARCAT
Aug. 25, 2011, 02:18 PM
They were in fact at some point billboards - mine was for the movie "Watchmen". They are VERY heavy!

goodhors
Sep. 1, 2011, 01:27 PM
Well, taking your good advice, I ordered a billboard tarp for my bedding pile. It arrived promptly and the material seems quite nice, heavier than the TSC tarps for sure.

Down side of this billboard is NO GROMMETS in the edges! And for some weird reason, there are a lot of cuts along the edges of the material. Edges are neatly folded double and sealed. Still have these odd slices in the fabric. No grommet holes make tarp hard to anchor in place. I will go down to JoAnne Fabric and purchase some to put in, but kind of a PITA.

So a warning for those contemplating purchase of billboard tarps, you may have to devise a way to hold your new tarp in place or install grommets yourself like me.

Mine is advertising a winter sale for a Mayors store, with good markdowns! Hope no one flying over stops by later!!

LookmaNohands
Sep. 1, 2011, 01:33 PM
Well, taking your good advice, I ordered a billboard tarp for my bedding pile. It arrived promptly and the material seems quite nice, heavier than the TSC tarps for sure.

Down side of this billboard is NO GROMMETS in the edges! And for some weird reason, there are a lot of cuts along the edges of the material. Edges are neatly folded double and sealed. Still have these odd slices in the fabric. No grommet holes make tarp hard to anchor in place. I will go down to JoAnne Fabric and purchase some to put in, but kind of a PITA.

So a warning for those contemplating purchase of billboard tarps, you may have to devise a way to hold your new tarp in place or install grommets yourself like me.

Mine is advertising a winter sale for a Mayors store, with good markdowns! Hope no one flying over stops by later!!

On the web site, they said that the edges are made so you could slide a pipe through it so to weigh the edges down instead of grommets. They suggested oil rig pipes.

We don't have many oil rigs here in Virginia!:lol::lol:

Grommets are easy to put in. :yes:

mpsbarnmanager
Sep. 1, 2011, 02:14 PM
The very best tarp I ever had was an old billboard ad. I have no idea where it came from, but maybe try calling a local advertisement company and see if they will give you one or two. The one I had lasted 3 years for me and it was on the farm when I moved in, so I don't know how old it was.

goodhors
Sep. 2, 2011, 04:07 PM
If you do need to buy grommets, check Ebay or the hardware store before going to JoAnnes. Could NOT BELIEVE the difference in prices!!

I returned the 10eac for $7.99 and even for 40% off with coupon, makes them pretty expensive. The local True Value Hardware had the same 1/2" size, brass grommets, 24 ea for $6.49. I returned the JoAnnes ones.

I plan to get a large bag of grommets off Ebay, no one local sells large quantities inexpensively. I will have them on hand for YEARS to come, good for any project that needs holes punched .

I already have the large grommet setting tools, so putting grommets in is just another thing "that only takes a few minutes" to do. I expect you could have grommets added at an awning shop if you don't want to do it yourself.

Had a brief thunderstorm, wind and rain last night and billboard tarp was not tied, but didn't move at all under it's own weight. Package said 25 pounds for a 12ftx24ft, all rolled up when I got it. I will still anchor it after the grommeting for safety. Weight of material should be a bonus with the fall winds not turning into a sail!!

Robin@DHH
Sep. 2, 2011, 10:25 PM
Old camper's trick until you have time to install grommets
in your tarp. Take a bunch of smooth rocks that are
approximately round and around 2" in diameter. Place
each rock near the edge of the tarp where you would
want a grommet and bunch the tarp fabric around the
rock and then tie with a piece of plastic bale string or
similar sturdy string. Now you have something you can
use to connect your tie down to. Install as many rocks
as you need wherever you require them. Easily removed
when you have time and resources to install grommets.