PDA

View Full Version : This sounds crazy....

Isabeau Z Solace
Aug. 21, 2011, 06:18 PM
Someone just tried to convince me we could 'refresh' the water proof-ness of our Rambos by spritzing with, can you believe it, Thompsons Water Seal ?!?!?:confused::confused::confused:

Umm.... I don't know what to think. Has anyone ever done that? I'm scared to even think about it.:eek:

What the What
Aug. 21, 2011, 06:32 PM
Yup, you can!

I have done it, and as far as I can tell, it does not damage the blanket. The Amish place where we take blankets to be repaired uses Water Seal to waterproof them too.

It seems to work ok, but you have to do it when it is hot outside (80 degrees+, I think?).

JSwan
Aug. 21, 2011, 07:41 PM
Yup.

Before doing it I even read the MSDS on various fabric waterproofing products, then compared them to the MSDS on the deck sealer.

This is a useful site. You can search on all sorts of products.

http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/

CDE Driver
Aug. 21, 2011, 07:47 PM
Hmmm, will you define spritz? As it put it in a wee spray bottle and lightly mist?

bird4416
Aug. 21, 2011, 08:02 PM
Will it a effect the breath-ability?

wildlifer
Aug. 21, 2011, 08:18 PM
You can also use tent waterproofing spray (sporting good store) which will maintain breathability.

dawglover
Aug. 22, 2011, 08:47 AM
I lay my blankets out on the ground on a nice warm dry day, put the sealer in a 2 gallon pump sprayer and give each blanket a nice even coating, paying special attention to seams if the blanket has any. Then let the blanket air dry. The stuff does have an odor, so after they are dry, I hang them somewhere out of the weather to air out for a few days before folding and putting away.

SMF11
Aug. 22, 2011, 08:58 AM
I'm interested in this thread because Camp Dry doesn't always work, at least for me.

-do you use the Thompsons every year?

-breathability?

-how do you know it works? I was spraying Camp Dry on my blankets every year, and most are waterproof. But would they have been waterproof anyway? And as I said, I have a few blankets that I've sprayed that are *not* waterproof, despite two coats of the Camp Dry.

-has anyone done both techniques (waterseal and a spray)? Which worked better?

Edited to add: maybe I should take the nonwaterproof blanket and try the Thompsons water seal on it this year and see if it becomes waterproof! That would answer my questions, wouldn't it.

SLR
Aug. 22, 2011, 03:24 PM
CDE Driver You obviously have never lived in PA Dutch country where "spritzing" is the norm.:D The first time I used that term west of the Allegheneys (sp) I was called on it.

joyful
Aug. 22, 2011, 11:37 PM
I found that Thompson's Waterseal leaves a wierd coating on the fabric. I used to do my old Triple Crowns with them. When I switched to Rambos, I didn't have waterproofing problems for a long time. THEN one of my Rambos was washed when i sent my horse for training. It was no longer waterproof - UGH! Granted, it was 7 yrs old, but the other blankets bought at the same time were fine... Anyway I used Nikwax (what Rambo recomends) and have had good results. No strange feel to my blankets either!

Heliodoro
Aug. 23, 2011, 09:45 AM
Go to hardware store, buy silicone spray for less than $4/can, buy 1 can for each blanket, spray blanket outside and let dry. Done. Too easy. Even comes with little nozzle/straw to get it really well into seams!