PDA

View Full Version : Where to find "grandmom-safe" horse?

lovemytbs
Aug. 20, 2011, 08:56 PM
How do you find a nice seasoned trail horse that's safe for a grandmother? She hasn't ridden in decades, and needs something safe, steady, and smooth. I can't find what I'm looking for, are there better resources out there besides dreamhorse and equine.com?

Also, what restrictions would you put in the advanced searches?

MunchkinsMom
Aug. 20, 2011, 09:03 PM
Are there any theraputic riding stables in your area? Sometimes they have to give up horses that are sort of burnt out from the routine, but are great with a single owner and different routine.

I have a grandma safe horse, but she is now retired, sorry. She was my show horse, then lived on a tree farm as a trail horse, came home and was a kids cross rail lesson horse for a few years. She is a packer, and when my mother in law came to live with us, she would ride the mare, and it was a match made in heaven, mainly because the mare prefers to have a passenger vs a pilot anyway.

Chall
Aug. 20, 2011, 09:39 PM
I'd look at older horses, there is a kind of sympathy in older animals and older people.

MunchkinsMom
Aug. 20, 2011, 10:02 PM
It might take some time to go through the ads, but you can also check petfinder. Here is an example:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/20532305

or this one:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16631613

Kyzteke
Aug. 21, 2011, 12:28 AM
Look at summer camps, outfitters, tourist "rent a horse" type stables. Their horses get older and can't take the daily grind of 2-4hrs per day, 6 days a week, but they still have plenty of miles for a family.

There is a big outfitter auction on Aug. 25th in Missoula MT --50 horses & mules and 80% of them anyone can ride. They've been packing dudes in the Glacier and Bob Marshall Wilderness areas....some of them for YEARS!
http://www.riverswestauction.com/swan.php

Wanted to get one for me (as a pony horse), but not going to be able to yet. But if anyone else is in that area, you might find a great deal for a seasoned trail horse.

brightskyfarm
Aug. 22, 2011, 01:14 PM
Where are you located?
Retired track ponies make excellent trail partners.

However, maybe I also need to ask what discipine *grandmom* rides since I know a lot of them who still put me to shame! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

InstigatorKate
Aug. 22, 2011, 02:00 PM
I second the riding camp route and/or dude ranches if you're out west. Of course, word of mouth is always wonderful too. Quite a few people have their old campaigners hanging around and may be willing let them go to a wonderful home. I just sent my older guy to be my Dad's walking trail pony. They couldn't be happier :)

Amber_M
Aug. 22, 2011, 02:15 PM
Look at summer camps, outfitters, tourist "rent a horse" type stables. Their horses get older and can't take the daily grind of 2-4hrs per day, 6 days a week, but they still have plenty of miles for a family.

Be careful, I know someone who brought home one of these horses only to find it's only super beginner safe on it's "home turf". They've been working for months with it on their trails and it still bolts and bucks when spooked. :eek:

MunchkinsMom
Aug. 22, 2011, 02:19 PM
Don't forget the "giveaways" section here on COTH:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65

Crown Royal
Aug. 22, 2011, 02:45 PM
When looking online (dreamhorse, horsetopia, equine, etc.) I would search for "kid-safe", "youth horse", "husband horse", "lesson horse", or "family horse" and go from there. Key word is PACKER! If she's not like 5'10" or 6' with legs a mile long and you have a chance to be picky, something 15 or so hands might be nice- easier to get on and off! QH's are nice, as are quieter, steady, older TWH's.

horsetales
Aug. 22, 2011, 02:46 PM
Don't forget the "giveaways" section here on COTH:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65

I was going to say the same thing. I would also ask your vet and farrier. They often know the word of mouth sales and if its grandma type horse.

scheherazadetbmare
Aug. 22, 2011, 02:47 PM
It's the end of summer. Lots of good camp horses are going to auction. Check out the auctons near you. Those horses are troopers who deserve a better fate than what usually happens to auction horses.

ALso check out foreclosed barns. Within the last 2 yrs, 2 lesson barns in our area have gone into foreclosure. The horses were sold or given away.

busterwells
Aug. 23, 2011, 04:17 PM
I do have a grandma safe horse that I currently do not have for sale. But would be interested in re-homing if I found the right owner. She was my daughters first lesson horse but now is just a grazer in our pasture, she does do a few kids lessons at our stable when needed. She is a 25 year old Appaloosa with a ton of attitude and loves attention. She would make a great companion horse and still loves to go on the trail... my 78 year old mother in law rides her in the paddock! Private message me if interested...we are from Akron, Ohio.