PDA

View Full Version : Itch remedy?

Alagirl
Aug. 19, 2011, 10:45 PM
I got a severely itchy spot on my arm.

I thought it was a mosquito bite, but it seems to be spreading. :no:
a cluster of tiny welts...naturally now everything is red from rubbing.

I tried a cortisone creme, seemed to work briefly, but no longer, tried Lanocane...same.

I have been wearing a new bracelet (poly rope braid...like those 'survival bracelets' that are in right now) took a couple of St John's worth a couple of days back...

do I need an oatmeal bath?

I have been cleaning but I don't think I got into spiders, did I? :(

it is ITCHING

help?

philosoraptor
Aug. 19, 2011, 10:50 PM
When I hear tiny welts, I think poison ivy type rash. It just needs time to run its course. What works well seems to vary person to person. Oatmeal baths do nothing for me if I have a rash, but I know some people like them. There are a variety of different topical ointments on the market, and you may just need to try a few to see what works best for you. Calamine was one I liked.

If it gets significantly worse, it may not hurt to get your doc's opinion.

Hope you feel better soon.

moodymaretoo
Aug. 19, 2011, 10:50 PM
tea tree oil?
I've used my horse's TZone before too.
Might take a couple applications.. maybe throw in a Benedryl or two?
Sure hope you feel better, I've scratched myself bloody before discovering tea tree oil.

Alagirl
Aug. 19, 2011, 10:53 PM
I am relatively sure I did not gt into poison Ivy. that is some nasty stuff I do not care to get again...:eek:

I hope I canmake it reasonably well through the weekend...I think Monday I need to go to see the doc on a hopefully unrelated issue (feeling sapped all the time)

I think i got some benadril somepalce...I know I got teatree oil! Yippee! :)

Foxtrot's
Aug. 19, 2011, 11:22 PM
Benedryl?

Beentheredonethat
Aug. 19, 2011, 11:28 PM
Do you have an aloe vera plant? If you do, get a leaf, open it, and put it on the itch. It's good for anything skin related, especially burns. For my unfortunate resent interaction with poison oak, it helped a lot.

Alagirl
Aug. 19, 2011, 11:31 PM
Benedryl?

yes

(I can't spell nor type...I wonder how I can make myself understood at times)

check on the Aloe, too.

MunchkinsMom
Aug. 20, 2011, 12:06 AM
I find the Benadryl gel or spray works best.

Rbow
Aug. 20, 2011, 08:01 AM
double dose of Equimax :lol:

Foxtrot's
Aug. 20, 2011, 03:58 PM
Alagirl - I was not meaning to correct your spelling, just did not read your full post. Benadryl is our go-to for itches, in dogs, too.

Alagirl
Aug. 20, 2011, 08:36 PM
Alagirl - I was not meaning to correct your spelling, just did not read your full post. Benadryl is our go-to for itches, in dogs, too.

LOL, I realized that as soon as I hit send :lol:

I took 2 and slept like a baby ;)

I still don't know what got me there, but it's much better today.

Debbie
Aug. 20, 2011, 09:08 PM
I'm suffering from literally hundreds of chigger bites and the itching is insane! Through my trial and error of lots of different products, aloe gel and walgreen's anti-itch spray seem the most effective in quelling the itch.

I got my infestation freeing a fawn from our hogwire fence. He tried to jump through the fence to get away from my dogs and got hopelessly stuck. Unfortunately this all happened just as I got up and let the dogs loose so I was barefoot and in my tshirt and undies sleepwear. Talk about giving the vermin full access! :winkgrin:

ML
Aug. 20, 2011, 10:22 PM
Debbi, do give this a try, Absorbine Veterinary Liniment, Love the Gel form but liquid works great on chiggers too. Best thing have found for them.

ML

goeslikestink
Aug. 21, 2011, 04:29 AM

I tried a cortisone creme, seemed to work briefly, but no longer, tried Lanocane...same.

I have been wearing a new bracelet (poly rope braid...like those 'survival bracelets' that are in right now) took a couple of St John's worth a couple of days back...

it is ITCHING

help?

go to doc sounds liek you have caught ringworm which can be caught from horses

katyb
Aug. 21, 2011, 10:35 AM
I promise that you can get poison ivy, even if you never saw any. We seem to be cultivating 38 acres of the stuff. We did a lot of weeding last week and were very careful to watch what we were touching, and it was the garden around our mailbox, not in the woods or anything. Well 3 of 3 people now have poison ivy. My husband and younger son get it if they come near the horrid stuff, and they almost always get a terrible case. I'm not as reactive to it, but I still have quite a few spots. Poison ivy generally looks like little (or bigger, if you are my husband) blisters. I do think the poison ivy soap helps, if you use it right after contact (which means I use it after doing anything outside).

PaintPony
Aug. 22, 2011, 05:13 PM
I'm also going crazy from the chigger bites I got last weekend. :mad:

I was weeding around the barn in a wooded area. I wore gloves - so at least there are none on my hands. :no: But I stupidly was wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

I have been washing them twice a day, taking Benadryl frequently, and applying anti-itch spray/cream.

I seriously want to tear my skin off at this point. What else can I do? :confused:

AliCat518
Aug. 22, 2011, 05:25 PM
As someone who has been having terrible reactions from insects of all sorts this summer....ORAL benadryl is very helpful. I had an entire body rash and a couple rounds of oral benadryl knocked it out in a day. none of the creams did anything.

I also heard that honey or bag balm is VERY helpful with itching. Couldnt hurt!

Debbie
Aug. 22, 2011, 09:07 PM
I can't take oral Benadryl, but I have tried a Benadryl gel on my chigger bites with some relief. What is working the best for me is taking HOT showers, putting on sesame oil and then spraying with WalGreens brand anti-itch spray.

I got my bites cutting a fawn out of a wire fence after my dogs chased her into it. This happened just when I got up and let the dogs out, so when I heard the fawn screaming I ran out barefoot in my sleep clothes. I had to drag my great dane back to the house and get wire cutters so I put on shoes and shorts, but the chiggers still had full access. I have hundreds of bites from my waist down; it's insane. This could be a form of torture, forget water boarding use chiggers!

subk
Aug. 23, 2011, 12:07 AM
...I have been wearing a new bracelet (poly rope braid...like those 'survival bracelets' that are in right now) took a couple of St John's worth a couple of days back...
?
I once got a massive PI outbreak on my arm from a cheap wooden bracelet that I bought on the streets of NYC. Turns out the bracelet was made from ginko wood that has trace amounts of urushiol. It took me months and several trips to the doctor to figure it out.

If your itchy rash is someplace your new bracelet rubs be very suspicious.

jetsmom
Aug. 23, 2011, 12:15 AM

it is ITCHING

help?

It was the curse I put on you for being nasty on a slaughter thread. The curse involved something to do with a camel and 1000 fleas...but I don't remember exactly. Is your camel itching too????:lol:

horsefaerie
Aug. 23, 2011, 12:20 AM
I have gotten itching on my forearms and there is no sign of bites but I am clawing at the skin!

THis is just recently. Comes out of nowhere!

A soap pack and benedryl helps but NOTHING stops it. Not even my prescription itch medicine. (steroidal)

Going to the dermatologist very soon.

nashfad
Aug. 23, 2011, 01:06 AM
For chigger bites, get old fashioned white rain hairspray or any other hairspray with lots of lacquer in it and cover the entire area with it. You have to smother the chiggers to stop them from biting you. Or cover area in nail polish-----really----literally.

PaintPony
Aug. 23, 2011, 10:00 AM
Actually nashfad, if you look that up you will see that it's an old wives tale.

It is suggested that you not put nail polish remover on your skin.

rustbreeches
Aug. 24, 2011, 01:31 AM
Clear nail polish for chiggers. It smothers the little buggers.

I second the ringworm diagnosis. Blue star ointment will clear it up

CVPeg
Aug. 24, 2011, 11:53 PM
I posted this a couple of weeks ago, right after I got a nasty rash. All along my left arm, on my left leg, and eventually on my stomach. I had been weeding for several hours that day - in full sun. I have never been allergic to poison ivy. Remembered a landscaper friend warning me about the stuff growing along the road. Read up on Wild Parsnip (related to Giant Hog Weed, which is REALLY bad news, but rarer.) Tada!

Thought it was perhaps just here in the Northeast. But no, I just googled it and as of 2007 only Hawaii and 3 southern states didn't have it, but it is now presumed to be everywhere. (Sorry, Alagirl.)

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Gardening/diggin-it/2011/0808/Wild-parsnips-One-of-the-most-tenacious-invasive-plants

I have a lot of acreage, it is mostly along the sides of roads, the edges of fields, where it hasn't been mowed or weed-whacked. It is yellow, looks like golden rod in the early summer, only with Queen Anne's lace shaped heads, and grows to about 5' tall. Right now around here it has dried and turned a bronze color. It is a biannual, and for some reason, this year it is everywhere.

IT IS NASTY. If you don't treat it, it can leave permanent scarring, so take care.

I got it when I didn't have time to run to the store. Thank goodness I had calamine lotion. And because it is exacerbated in the sun, after the first full day of suffering, I made myself spend one full day indoors, even with a s**tload of stuff to finish. I also used Benadryl, and later bought some Cortizone 10 lotion. I was lucky that I recovered after a few days. Rash is 98% healed.

I go nowhere near the edge of my lawn. I still haven't rec'd a clear answer for how to remove it, other than it can be yanked out by the roots in the spring. Waiting for our DEC to return calls.

Good luck!!

Alagirl
Aug. 25, 2011, 12:01 AM
uuuhhhh, those plants that get you burned like that are nasty.

My mom had one of those...sadly she had actively sought out the seeds to it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Hogweed

it took forever to get rid of it. I think she still has a little scar from where that thing got her, over 30 years ago! :eek:

Foxtrot's
Aug. 25, 2011, 01:46 AM
If you have any Giant's hogweed (described by CVPeg and Alagirl) do whatever it takes to get rid of it and your neighbours will love you. It is very nasty and very invasive.

While we don't have any of the many nasties described on this board, we do have this Giant Hogweed and it is very dangerous to try and eradicate it yourselves without proper knowledge. No kidding.

Meanwhile, I love BC, I love BC, I love BC.

SanJacMonument
Aug. 25, 2011, 08:11 PM
You can have a poison ivy reaction from pollen in the air, pollen from hair on your dog, cat, horse, moving logs, riding near a flowering ivy, sweeping, mowing a field, etc.

It flowers and pollens at the end of the summer so quite possible to get an outbreak right now. Both poison ivy and poison oak. Sorry to hear about your outbreak, and be careful.

rmh_rider
Aug. 28, 2011, 05:24 PM
Ok you FRUITBATS who *think* *believe* chiggers need to be ridded with hairspray, or nail polish, gee do you all not read up on things? Keep up!

Geesh!

http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/avoid-outdoor-pests/chiggers

I got my first chiggers BAD in 1997 when my husband and I moved to AL. Ok, so I read up on them. READ UP ON THEM.

And obtw, I just got over chiggers recently. Long story short, we were trail riding and we found 3 17 yr old teenage boyz lost in the woods for 2-3 days and they pretty much had to ride our horses out. Well, I guess I was one of the more fit ones so pretty much walked 8 miles or so out, while the boyz rode the horses. They were very dehydrated, and starving, it was 90 degrees. We did give them all our food and most all water, but I had drank out of one of my bottles so I kept it to drink out of. They could not keep up walking behind the horses, so we let them ride. I let my friend ride my horse because my horse is not a beginner horse. These boyz had never been around horses. So I walked pretty much the whole way. And I got chiggers, and baby seed ticks from all the long grass, and brush. All in an area of the size of a deck of cards on my ankles. Above my tennis shoes, and below my tights. I did shower after we rode, but I guess some of the damage was already done. There was poison ivy everywhere, but I didn't get that, I am also very allergic to urushiol. Here is a link for that since some are of the old ways of thinking, iow one who isn't into looking up info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urushiol-induced_contact_dermatitis

Yeah sure put on all the topicals, then you will get dried out skin and better yet you may make your skin hyper sensitive. May wanna look that up. I finally had to take allegra 24 hour. Only stuff which worked. I spent many a nights with wet wash clothes on my ankles. It burned so bad.

No I didn't scratch mine. I had 84 bites total on my ankles, and it has been 3 weeks now and I hope the scars go away. Yes, I counted the bite marks. I did shower within 1 hour of riding. I didn't get all the baby ticks off, but did when I drove home the 1.5 hours, when I showered again.

Click and read up.

SanJacMonument
Aug. 29, 2011, 08:57 PM
Chiggerex is best for chiggers. Goooooood stuff!!

rustbreeches
Aug. 30, 2011, 01:12 AM
I don't know that I have ever seen anybody quite so upset about what I put on my skin. I can assure you the little dabs of nail polish I used as a child didn't give me sensitive skin, or dried out skin. But bless your heart for thinking of us