PDA

View Full Version : Questions on broken pelvis in a dog

arena run
Aug. 19, 2011, 04:03 PM
Our treeing walker (spayed female) was hit by a truck and vet said she broke her pelvis. There is, of course, no casting to be done, but treatment is complete "bed rest" on a soft area, lots of liquid/soft foods 9to avoid constipation), and pain/antibiotic meds.

So.... she's here in the house and can turn from one side to the other (but can't turn back over yet), and she has had milk, water, and gatorade to amount to almost 4 cups since last night.

So....... has anyone dealt w/this type injury and ---- the $65k question ---- how did you help them eliminate their body waste??????

arena run
Aug. 19, 2011, 04:04 PM
Vet did say sphincter muscle had good tone and everything looked fine... just was wondering what the exact physical action I needed to take? A towel sling? Just holding her up? Waiting til she... well... jsut went while lying down??? Seems hardly fair to her to do that, but it might be less painful. ??

She's a 40lb dog, give or take.

Chall
Aug. 19, 2011, 04:21 PM
I'd tape a large plastic garbage bag to the floor then a thick layer of newspaper.
I'd follow her lead, if she poops where she lays just clean it up, but help steady her if she insists on standing. I'd also feed her bowel softening food, so she doesn't strain.
Above all, console her if she poops laying down, animals don't like to defecate on themselves and most were taught as puppies that it is "bad". So she may have anxiety doing it and you can assure her it's all right.
Good luck, hope she heals well.

candyappy
Aug. 19, 2011, 04:30 PM
I agree with Chall above. I wouldn't try to move her so she can go, but just set it up underneath her so if she does go while down it is easily cleaned up. Can you do a diaper on her if she can't get up to go? What an awful situation, I hope she heals quickly.

spacehorse
Aug. 20, 2011, 11:00 AM
I had a cat that got hit by a car and had a broken pelvis. I first thought his leg was broken the way he was 'trying' to walk.

I crated him and he recovered very well. I just kept towels in there and would switch them out a few times a day. He was trying to move around in a week or two (probably sooner than he should have been moving around). Your dog may be able to help herself (and you) in a few weeks by not going directly where she is laying.

This kitty in my case appeared to have no difficulty taking care of business laying down.

Kitty now has an interesting little strut to his gait. We tell him he walks like a pimp. :lol:

carolprudm
Aug. 20, 2011, 01:56 PM
There are special beds made for incontinent dogs
http://www.handicappedpets.com/www/index.php/sleepee-time-bed-for-incontinent-pets.html

I'm sure you could fing others.

Jaegermonster
Aug. 20, 2011, 06:09 PM
I have rescued quite a few dogs who have been hit by cars or abused and had broken pelvises (pelvii?)

What I did was I only gave her food and water on a schedule. For that you will have to figure out what works for you depending on how many are in your household, what your schedules are, when you come and go, go to work, bed etc.

Offer the water and food, give pain meds and then within about an hour or so I would pick up the dog, take her outside and gently set her in the grass and she would do her business. Then no more water or food until the next scheduled time. Obviously if this is a bigger hound you may want to use a sling for her hind end if she is too heavy or not comfortable being carried. I carried mine with my dominant arm under her chest between her front legs and with my other arm I reached over the top of her back around her belly and very carefully carried her outside.

You'll have to work out how often to offer the water or food and how much etc.

By scheduling it all you won't have to worry that she is sitting there uncomfortable with a full bladder or bowel, maybe trying to get up to go ask and hurting herself, or being upset because she is lying in her own waste (which you will then have to clean up). Not to say there might not be accidents but by scheduling things you can make life easier for everyone until she heals.

Doing it this way, every dog I have nursed through a broken pelvis has healed without even a limp.

kelsey97
Aug. 20, 2011, 06:15 PM
I had a large dog, 120lbs, break his pelvis and fracture the femoral head, which was removed surgically. Post op instructions specifically stated that he was to be kept quiet, still, etc. and not to get up for 10 days. My boy was so polite that he would not potty on his dog bed or in my house and insisted on going outside to relieve himself. I used a large beach towel folded in half as a sling, I placed the towel under his belly and and held him up by the ends of the towel to help him walk outside. He healed just fine, the only adverse effect was that he learned to squat to pee. He did this for years after the accident and it was pretty funny to see this big, tough, burly dog squatting to relieve himself! :) If another dog was around he'd hike his leg to show off, but he really did prefer to squat.

Jaegermonster
Aug. 20, 2011, 06:21 PM
That's funny! You actually reminded me one of my dogs with a broken pelvis that we ended up keeping would actually lie down to eat even when she was better until the day she died!

And she was just like your dog, she insisted on going outside to do her business, so out she went. And again, until the day she died when she peed she would squat down and lift one back foot off the ground, we called her Tripod. It was hilarious!

manentail
Aug. 21, 2011, 07:03 AM
My dads poodle also broke her pelvis getting hit by a car. She had to have surgery however, pins and all, it was expensive. We kept her movement restricted and she was still able to go to the bathroom but needed carries to her "spot". The vet told us she would have arthritis at an early age. She is 15 yrs old now and still getting around well. Exercise after they are healed is extremely important.

MeghanDACVA
Aug. 24, 2011, 05:45 PM
What all is broken in her pelvis? That will dictate alot of this.

Why are you feeding her milk, water and gatorade? What is wrong with dog food?

Down big dogs are a managment problem due to their size. Be sure she is turned every couple of hours and is on SOFT bedding. To prevent bed sores.
What is she on for pain meds?

Bed size underpads from Walmart are your friend.

Watermark Farm
Aug. 24, 2011, 06:24 PM
My parents fostered a poodle for the animal shelter that had been struck by a car on a highway and her pelvis was broken badly. She had nerve damage that necessitated amputation of a hind leg, which made this a double-whammy. They kept the poodle in a bed inside a puppy pen with newspapers and plastic. They had to move/turn her very frequently to prevent pressure sores. They also put her on hospital egg crate foam. Chux pads were helpful (buy at drug store).

Every hour or so they'd pick her up and carry her out to the lawn and say "go potty." At first they had to support her. She learned quickly to relieve herself. The pooping was harder and sometimes they could not get out out in time. She lived like this a good 4 weeks, then slowly began to use her hind end. At first she actually walked on her 2 front legs (very weird to see) They had to discourage this as it really made her muscle sore.

I believe the vet gave her something (enulose?) to soften the stool. Pain meds are very important, too, but can constipate, so you have to watch out for this.

Of course they all fell in love with each other and now Suzie the 3-legged poodle is their pampered pooch!