PDA

View Full Version : Arena Rascal LGR

dreamagain
Aug. 19, 2011, 09:57 AM
Anyone have any experience with the Rascal LGR? I was looking at the Rascal Pro. I see there is the LGR model which is a step down from the Pro. It looks pretty good but would like to know if anyone has actually used one. I have a bluestone ring that has a couple of ruts in it from water runoff. Anyone??

deltawave
Aug. 19, 2011, 03:54 PM
I looked at them and contacted them, and the salesperson annoyed me by refusing to give my husband a price when he answered the phone. I can't stand coy salespeople who won't give me a straight-up price quote, so I bought another style/brand. Liked the look of the product, but I really wanted to know how their "horse arena" one differed SO significantly from their "general" one that it was worth an extra $800. (I did my own detective work and sort of knew the prices) It appeared to me that the only difference was a flat bar instead of tines/teeth to scarify the subsurface. I don't have reiners or made-of-glass dressage horses--a few half-inch undulations in my arena base is not going to hurt my horses who gallop on turf and jump for a living. :rolleyes: :lol:

In the end I bought a much less pricey spider harrow from Country Manufacturing and am hoping that my hubby will get around to assembling it this weekend! :D

eponacelt
Aug. 19, 2011, 07:50 PM
I
In the end I bought a much less pricey spider harrow from Country Manufacturing and am hoping that my hubby will get around to assembling it this weekend! :D

Please post about how you like the Spider harrow. It looks nice, and is so reasonable for the 3-pt hitch version compared to everything else I've looked at.

Bluey
Aug. 19, 2011, 08:37 PM
I looked at them and contacted them, and the salesperson annoyed me by refusing to give my husband a price when he answered the phone. I can't stand coy salespeople who won't give me a straight-up price quote, so I bought another style/brand. Liked the look of the product, but I really wanted to know how their "horse arena" one differed SO significantly from their "general" one that it was worth an extra $800. (I did my own detective work and sort of knew the prices) It appeared to me that the only difference was a flat bar instead of tines/teeth to scarify the subsurface. I don't have reiners or made-of-glass dressage horses--a few half-inch undulations in my arena base is not going to hurt my horses who gallop on turf and jump for a living. :rolleyes: :lol:

I am surprised, because around here those you talk to say Abi, the company that puts the Arena Rascal out, is very good to give service and answer any questions.
I called them the other day and they were quick and knew their stuff.:yes:

I don't know how the Arena Rascal works, but the Kiser Dragmaster is what my friend the reining trainer uses and is very, very happy with it and the service they get from that company, as are others I hear from.

deltawave
Aug. 19, 2011, 09:24 PM
I was surprised, too, and somewhat annoyed. But this is a pet peeve, and I have a fairly low (as in, zero) tolerance for salespeople playing even remotely hard-to-get with pricing on a product with essentially no options. Drives me up the wall. I want prices listed flat out, right on the website or product literature. If it isn't, my hackles go up, especially with "horse" products (many of their non-horse products have prices right up front . . . why?) because I figure they're trying to sucker me, your "typical" middle-aged, female, upper middle class, clueless horse owner. All of which are apt descriptions except the "clueless" part. :lol:

Personal irrational hot button. Their loss. :p

I will post a review on the spider harrow. If it ever gets put together! :sigh: Might end up doing it myself as hubby is insisting on pursuing his OWN hobby this weeked. ;)

Blue Yonder
Aug. 19, 2011, 11:28 PM
Please post about how you like the Spider harrow. It looks nice, and is so reasonable for the 3-pt hitch version compared to everything else I've looked at.

I second the motion. :)

Am actively researching arena drags/harrows/york rakes/etc., trying to find what will work best for us too. The Spider harrow looks interesting, and won't break the bank.

Please and thank you, deltawave!

ShotenStar
Aug. 20, 2011, 08:19 AM
I have the 3-pt hitch version of the small Arena Rascal .... love it, love it, love it. It lets me get into the corners and close to the wall and I can adjust it 3 ways to Sunday to match the arena's conditions (mine is an outdoor stonedust ring ... how much rain we've had makes a difference in how I drag to get the results I want.)

*star*

carolprudm
Aug. 20, 2011, 09:39 AM
I am surprised, because around here those you talk to say Abi, the company that puts the Arena Rascal out, is very good to give service and answer any questions.
I called them the other day and they were quick and knew their stuff.:yes:

I don't know how the Arena Rascal works, but the Kiser Dragmaster is what my friend the reining trainer uses and is very, very happy with it and the service they get from that company, as are others I hear from.

I have been pleased with my contacts with ABI. I covet one of their water wagons. They have always been up front with me about the cost, including delivery.

The main thing holding me back is the lack of a return policy on them and the fact that they can't promise that my iffy right shoulder will be able to start the pump

deltawave
Aug. 27, 2011, 09:33 PM
Wanted to give the promised review on the spider harrow. :) It took only about 30 minutes to put together, so pretty easy on that score. The biggest bummer is that it doesn't work with the Quick-Hitch system on our John Deere tractor, so instead of hitching up in 10 seconds, it's more like 10 minutes. A minor nuisance, but having it pop on with the Quick Hitch would have been divine.

So off I went to harrow the dirt paddock, which is a sandy-loam type of soil that I try to keep fairly level. It has a natural crown, which is nice because there is no mud, but when we get heavy rains a lot of the surface sand migrates down to one corner of the paddock. A couple of times a year I have to haul it all back up with the box blade, a very tedious job to do well; if I do it half-assed I get big mounds of soft stuff here and there.

Anyhow, it worked very nicely on the majority of the paddock, the exception being the very center, highest area where it is packed quite hard. It did a nice job of loosening the more heavy-traffic and regularly harrowed areas, doing about twice the work of my little flexible harrow. In order to soften up the hard-packed area I had to go over it repeatedly at high speed. I think if it were wet it would've been easier, and I know I can soften that area up with the box blade if I need to.

All in all it gave me quite a nice riding surface without making the soft areas too deep. I like it. Just wish it were as easy to hook up as the other tools.

Blue Yonder
Aug. 29, 2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks Deltawave!