PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Koning Boots

WILLOW&CAL
Aug. 19, 2011, 07:44 AM
Hey All

I found a basically new pair of Koning Grandgester boots at our local 2-nd hand tack shop for an absolute bargain. They have not been broken in yet. AND they actually fit:yes:BUT they are slightly too narrow so my foot goest to sleep after about 20min of wear. I just wanted to find out wether they can be safely stretched to accommodate my horrible wide foot. We have no Koning dealers in this country so I can't take them to have them professionally done but I was thinking of taking them to a reputable leather worker to have them stretched. I'm now paranoid about ruining them so advice would be appreciated. I've been saving for a pair of nice long boots when I get to 2nd level but its an opportunity I just cant pass:winkgrin:

Bronte
Aug. 19, 2011, 08:30 AM
You can buy leather stretcher, which you just spray on and wear the boots. If they need more than your foot come provide :eek: take them to a good shoe repair shop. They will stretch them using a leather stretcher spray, and an adjustable boot tree. Definately less painful than your foot!!
I've stretch mine loads of times, I have a high instep, so they always kill me when new!

Equibrit
Aug. 19, 2011, 03:25 PM
Put them on, walk around in a creek til they are wet through, get out and walk about until they are dry. Job done

SecondInCommand
Aug. 19, 2011, 03:36 PM
I just know I'm going to phrase this poorly, but here goes:

Is your foot too wide for the leather 'shoe' part of the boot, or is it too wide for the actual sole?

I would imagine that if the sole is of adequate width, and the leather is the issue, you will be able to make them comfortable with the help of a *good* cobbler with a stretching machine, and then some boot spray and a little bit of teeth gritting.

If your foot is wider than the actual sole, you're likely SOL.

However, if you can get them on and maintain circulation for 20 minutes, you're probably well within a stretchable margin.

I had a beautiful pair of dress boots fall into my lap, courtesy of the boot fairy. I could not get my foot past the ankle, thanks to my high instep. With the help of a very good cobbler who has experience with riding boots (and crazy horsepeople), I had the ankles stretched for an exceedingly reasonable fee, and sprayed the ankle with boot stretcher on the subsequent dozen wears.

It sounds like the boot fairy has found you as well - do not ignore this opportunity! :D

cadance
Aug. 19, 2011, 07:56 PM
i'd be afraid to spray any chemical product on a high-end pair of tall boots...I was wondering the same thing, though. Has anyone had experience getting their tall boots stretched by a cobbler?

WILLOW&CAL
Aug. 20, 2011, 02:53 AM
Thank you for all the suggestions. Much appreciated. The sole is definitely wide enough-its just the leather across the widest span of the foot and the instep. I can wear them for about 20min without being hobbled so there is hope :) Equibrit, how does the leather fare after being submerged in water?

Equibrit
Aug. 20, 2011, 10:05 AM
Just fine. Polish and carry on.