PDA

View Full Version : black die for leather

angel
Aug. 18, 2011, 07:47 PM
I have been told that liquid Kiwi dye works well on saddles and other faded leather goods. Has anyone tried this product, or what else would you recommend? How did you prepare the leather prior to dye application? Did any of the dye rub off on your clothes afterwards?

Hampton Bay
Aug. 18, 2011, 07:57 PM
It would work great, until you rode in it and it ended up all over your pants ;)

I've used it on boots though, but it's not exactly a great quality product, so I wouldn't use it on really nice boots.

mildot
Aug. 19, 2011, 05:04 AM
Fiebing's make excellent dyes and polishes.

My local cobbler swears by them and their polishes were part of my arsenal to shine parade-ready shoes at USNA.

angel
Aug. 19, 2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the input, folks. Sounds as if you also have had "green" dressage saddles!;)

Equibrit
Aug. 19, 2011, 01:05 PM
Fiebing have a "Professional Oil Dye" http://www.fiebing.com/Leather_Care.aspx

AWorkinProgress
Aug. 19, 2011, 02:06 PM
I've used the Fiebings professional oil dye with much success. Even managed to dye a brown saddle black!

Here's my method: Clean the saddle really well with soap and water to remove any dirt, oil or conditioners. Mix the dye 50/50 with neatsfoot oil and put it in the microwave for a few seconds to warm up. This will help the dye penetrate the leather. (But don't over heat it and be sure to watch it very closely, black dye mixed with oil is very hard to remove from a microwave. I still haven't managed to get it out of mine.) Apply the dye mixture the same way you would oil a saddle, let dry, repeat as neccessary. Then seal the saddle with a leather sealant. (I use the Leather Therapy one, can't remember what it's called off the top of my head).

The dye may bleed a little bit for the first few rides, but no more than many new saddles do. Wear dark colored breeches for a few rides, after that you should be ok!

Beentheredonethat
Aug. 19, 2011, 02:16 PM
I always use the Fiebings. You can get it at any shoe store/cobblers. I just soak the tack like bridles and such in water and clean it and let it dry so it wants to soak in more, then dye it, then oil it after it's dried. I do it all of the time with all kinds of tack. As AWorkin says, it will bleed for a bit, so wear dark breeches and expect your hands to get black--usually the first 3 -4 times you use it.

Covergirl15
Aug. 20, 2011, 03:00 AM
I redyed an old Passier a few years ago (I bought it used and it was in great shape except for the seat had faded), and it turned out really nice. I went to a local leather shop and they had us strip the sealer, dye it black, and then apply a sealer (I used the Fiebings brand) It turned out really nice, and I was even able to resell it for almost what I paid. I don't remember the dye rubbing off, but I usually wear gray or black pants anyway and so I might not have noticed. But I would call a tack or leather store and get their recommendations for how to do it. (and try it on a small area under the flap or something to make sure it works :) ) Good Luck!

Foxtrot's
Aug. 20, 2011, 02:47 PM
Be aware, be very aware - of white breeches on a newly dyed saddle.