PDA

View Full Version : WWYD kids flushing sanitary napkins down the toilet

FreshAir
Aug. 18, 2011, 03:25 PM
So we have a barn that has a handful of teenagers coming and going. We have signs up in the bathroom asking people not to flush sanitary products down the toilet, and a little trash barrel in there so there should be no problem, right? Wrong. The sewer pump is clogged again. My tenant wants to tear her hair out and there is no good way to "train up" everyone on how to properly use the toilet. What to do next? Port a potty is my only idea - which again is punishing everyone for the sins of a few or one. Any ideas out there? It is about $300 every time the plumber has to come out.

Preposterous Ponies!
Aug. 18, 2011, 03:28 PM
This happened at my middle school. All the female students were gathered up and told in no uncertain terms that sanitary napkins - not even "flushable" tampons - were to go in the toilet. Ever.

Perhaps you could send out a mass e-mail of the same effect and explain how much it costs to fix it each time.

ShotenStar
Aug. 18, 2011, 03:32 PM
If you have, say 10, teenage females on the property, add a $30 'plumbers surcharge' to each of their board bills for every plumbers visit. Make sure that everyone knows this will happen and that everyone will be required to pay up .... until they figure out how to use the provided container and the blockages stop.

This punishes all the teenage females but not any males. If you suspect any adult females may also be offenders, add them into the surcharge pricing.

*star*

wireweiners
Aug. 18, 2011, 03:35 PM
I would tell them they either stop flushing the products down the toilet or they will have to use a porta potty. That would be incentive enough for me. One other thought, is there a wastebasket in the toilet for them to use. I know that as a teen, I would have been embarrased to carry the stuff, even wrapped, to an outside waste basket.

GoForAGallop
Aug. 18, 2011, 03:36 PM
If you have, say 10, teenage females on the property, add a $30 'plumbers surcharge' to each of their board bills for every plumbers visit. Make sure that everyone knows this will happen and that everyone will be required to pay up .... until they figure out how to use the provided container and the blockages stop.

This punishes all the teenage females but not any males. If you suspect any adult females may also be offenders, add them into the surcharge pricing.

*star*

Err, I'm sorry, but the second that charge showed up on my bill I'd be handing in my 30 days notice. It's not MY fault that other people are morons and don't follow directions.

The best thing to do may be to gather everyone up and have a big discussion about it, explaining the costs and how board will have to go up for EVERYONE if it continues. Or threaten to lock the bathroom and go the port-a-potty route, if you must.

The addition board charges for just select individuals, however, would not go over well. At least not for me.

katarine
Aug. 18, 2011, 03:43 PM
Make sure the trash can is right there, AND that it is the type with a foot pedal-operated lid, with scented trash can liners. Make sure there's ample TP available to wad them up in. In other words, make it easy and as unembarrassing as possible. No open trash containers.

Post a sign RIGHT THERE that says
One more clogged potty=porta potty.
Flush ONLY toilet paper and human waste.

I would call a barn meeting with the gals and TELL them you are six hundred dollars in the hole and it will NOT happen again. The rest room will be padlocked if this happens again. The plumber told you the source of the problem, it's not a guess, it's a fact. Period :)

Pun intended.

Foxtrot's
Aug. 18, 2011, 04:01 PM
It is like in the army where everybody does push-ups if the person who does the infraction does not 'fess up...and since nobody rats on anybody else, they all get the punishment.

Me....I didn't join the army and never wanted to. Can't take the discipline or taking orders come what may.

Coanteen
Aug. 18, 2011, 04:07 PM
Are they for sure flushing napkins, or tampons? Tampons could clog up a toilet too.

But if you don't have something like little brown paper bags, it's very difficult to get people to just chuck a tampon into the trash. That's why so many businesses will provide bags for that purpose.

trubandloki
Aug. 18, 2011, 04:13 PM
As you have learned, no one reads signs.
People seem to think they are made as a type of wall art, not as something they should read and obey.

If you can not get all the female barn participants to a meeting then take the time to say something to them one at time as you see them.

Make it clear that nothing at all but toilet paper and bodily waste is to be flushed down the toilet.

I would add a sign on the outside of the toilet room door with the line about having to switch to the porta-potty if flushing issues do not stop.

People have a 'not me' concept. If I am the only who flushes this one super maxi pad it will not be a problem, etc.

They need to know they are all problem.

Not that I think it should be necessary (because tampons can be easily wrapped in toilet paper), I agree that making it super easy to toss them out discreetly will make it more likely that they will get tossed.

Petstorejunkie
Aug. 18, 2011, 04:40 PM
Most teenagers probably don't know what "sanitary napkins" are. They are pads or maxi pads. You may have one teen that doesn't realize they are dumping the offending "napkins" in the toilet.

MunchkinsMom
Aug. 18, 2011, 04:53 PM
Here's a site where you can purchase offical looking signs for the restroom:

http://www.justbathroomsigns.com/Restroom-Sign/Do-Not-Flush-Feminine-Products-Sign/SKU-SE-2468.aspx

Or create a custom one:

http://www.justbathroomsigns.com/Restroom/Custom-Bathroom-Signs-More.aspx

Simbalism
Aug. 18, 2011, 05:09 PM
How about putting a lock on the door so they have to come ask for it. That way you have a good idea who the culprit is???...

henrythe 7th
Aug. 18, 2011, 05:11 PM
So becuse this occurred at a barn this is a horse related topic and I was reported for a non horse related post.

To arms to arms the napkins are coming, yep horse related my horses butts, (just wanted to have a little horse talk here) but to keep on the discussion, I ran a Greyhound agency many years ago and believe me there is no nastier group to have to clean up after than womens bathrooms.

They pee down the drains or defecate in the sink, don't care no respect.

One final note why would I even post to this, simple to call attention to the hypocrisy but I will not draw this to the attention of a mod, that would just be simply childish, i leave that to others.

So do all that you can think of but the little darlings will continue to flush, yep bet the barn on it(just a little more horse talk).

FreshAir
Aug. 18, 2011, 05:15 PM
I love the sign - thank you it is very pretty. I didn't think that they wouldn't know what sanitary products might mean, but you could be on to something there. I thought about the lock and key deal but there is no way to know if it is from the day before it has clogged or from an accumulation of products. I think the woman who rents from me is going to have a big ole sit down with a slide show and the last slide should be the porta potty.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Aug. 18, 2011, 05:17 PM
I like katarine's idea.

When I was in college (marine science major) I used to go out on a NOAA ship with a sign in the head that read "Don't put anything into the toilet unless you have eaten it first."

Don't put that sign up.:no:
:lol:

Flashy Gray VA
Aug. 18, 2011, 05:17 PM
I would do 2 things: email or snail mail a note about this specific issue, and follow up with an all-barn meeting.

Make it very clear that rural septic tank systems are delicate beasts that cost $$$ to unclog.

If it happens again after doing these 2 things then I'd lock up the bathroom and keep it off limits, making everyone aware of the reason for why this was being done. Tough crap, everyone - pun intended.

I like the idea of adding the plumbing surcharge to bills, too.

People are something else, aren't they?

MassageLady
Aug. 18, 2011, 05:59 PM
Yep...lock it, and don't get a port a potty-they've been warned, and let the other boarders take it out on them...sometimes 'peer pressure' is the worst.

4Martini
Aug. 18, 2011, 06:36 PM
Is there a certain week out of the month you can lock it :-)

Casey09
Aug. 18, 2011, 07:09 PM
I'd have a group meeting. Explain that nothing can be flushed down the toilet - pads or tampons, even if they say "flushable." That might be part of the problem. I remember when a plumber had to go to one of my friend's houses to fish a flushable tampon out and the plumber talked to her. I remember being just shocked that you couldn't flush something that says flushable. You might have to tell them that because your system may be more fragile than theirs at home. See if that helps. It may be a lack of understanding of what's going on.
Also consider whether it couldn't be an adult. I wouldn't think it would be, but you never know.

kookicat
Aug. 18, 2011, 07:27 PM
I'd provide a box of nappy sacks and a rubbish bin.

http://www.pharmacyfirst.co.uk/health/baby-and-child/nappies/numark-nappy-bags-100-pack/prod_4438.html

Guin
Aug. 18, 2011, 07:47 PM
This is why a very nice and expensive barn I used to ride at did not have an indoor toilet. Portapotty only, 12 months a year. They had had a bathroom at one point but the BO ripped it out because the females were ruining her septic system.

jn4jenny
Aug. 18, 2011, 08:28 PM
Ditto the advice above, except to add that your trash barrel should have a lid and a step-opener + easy access to nappy sacks or little paper bags. Teenage girls don't want to leave ANY evidence that it was their stuff, and they don't want to look at other people's stuff. Nor does anyone else. And they will flush it to avoid dealing with it otherwise.

I would not trust teenage girls with a polite "Please do not flush feminine products" sign. I would put up a much more brazen sign, like with photoshopped icons of the No Smoking sign superimposed over a tampon box and a sanitary pad box, plus the words "Even if it says it's flushable!". Any old fool can understand that.

Nezzy
Aug. 18, 2011, 08:39 PM
Notes and signs will not help. A talk with a group WILL help a bit. Provide little wax lined bags and they will be used. Good luck.

Long Spot
Aug. 18, 2011, 09:18 PM
When I was in college (marine science major) I used to go out on a NOAA ship with a sign in the head that read "Don't put anything into the toilet unless you have eaten it first."

Don't put that sign up.:no:
:lol:

That's hilarious! But didn't you see Pestorejunkie's typo? Seems maybe they would qualify for flushing...:lol::lol::lol:

. They ate pads or maxi pads.

Sorry, Pestore, I know it was just a typo, but it gave me a good giggle.

Trakehner
Aug. 18, 2011, 10:11 PM
As a guy I just have to say...Ew, c'mon ladies, Ew, that's just wrong.;)

philosoraptor
Aug. 18, 2011, 10:21 PM
Why do teens do this, anyway? :confused:

Even with convenient trash cans, teens still struggle to figure out what to do with the used tampons. I still remember in high school always seeing used unwrapped maxipads piled on the backs of toilets?! Do teens have a phobia about throwing things into trash cans?

You can try the sign idea, but don't say "sanitary napkins" or "feminine product" because the teens simply won't understand. Really - they have no idea what that is. You must say tampon, and even then somehow they think it means every tampon except the one they're using.

Good luck with this challenge. :lol:

HenryisBlaisin'
Aug. 18, 2011, 10:43 PM
Definitely use the Porta-potty as an ultimatum-as in ONE more incident that involves a maxi-pad and a plumber, that's what everyone will be using, no exceptions, 365 days a year. And get one and follow through for at least a year, Nothing quite like one of those in July or January to make them wish they'd followed the rules in the first place. Heck, I'd go one step further and tell them even if the plumber isn't needed but you find tampons or pads have been thrown in the toilet, the bathroom will now be out back.

Are the offenders boarders or lesson kids? You also may have some leverage with the parents here. Send a politely worded letter home with their invoices or give to parents at lessons, simply stating that you have had two such incidents that put a huge strain on the barn's budget and that if another incident should occur, you will be forced to raise boarding/lesson rates accordingly.

If these teens are friends, talk to them as a group. Make sure there are no males within earshot, or there will be a freakout. But it they are not friends, either send a letter or talk to them one-on-one. To a teen girl, nothing is more embarrassing than your period, and for people you don't know well or like or if OMG a GUY hears about it, that's like, the end of the world. Be frank with them about the Porta-potty being the next step. Use the terms they do-pads and tampons. And Do provide the little waxed bags and a COVERED trashcan. In a 14-year-old's brain, even if the pad is wrapped in toilet paper, OMG, someone might SEE it and they're going to KNOW what it is and OMG, I'd just die if a boy saw it, and OMG if I put it in the trash EVERYBODY is going to KNOW what it IS! Yes, really.

So in a nutshell: Get a covered can or they won't use it. Sit them down and tell them they collectively have two choices: throw their used pads and tampons in the trash, or they will be using a Porta-potty where they can throw whatever they want but will be very cold in winter, very hot in summer (and snakes think they're great for warmth!), and stinky 24/7, so it will be at the WAY back of the property where the snakes are even more likely to get in. And if they don't listen? DO IT!

Petstorejunkie
Aug. 18, 2011, 11:17 PM
Sorry, Pestore, I know it was just a typo, but it gave me a good giggle.
LOL, I've since fixed it. That's what I get for responding from my phone :lol:

Trotsky
Aug. 18, 2011, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5786587#post5786587)

My uncle's note to the renter of his small summer cottage was:
If you didn't eat it, don't flush it.

We laughed out loud.

EponaRoan
Aug. 19, 2011, 12:01 AM
You can try the sign idea, but don't say "sanitary napkins" or "feminine product" because the teens simply won't understand. Really - they have no idea what that is. You must say tampon, and even then somehow they think it means every tampon except the one they're using.

I would go with a HUGE sign. A HUGE grossly illustrated sign. Like 4 feet x 4 feet or whatever. For emphasis. Make them look at it as they are sitting on the can and go, "EWWWW!!!" With little slashes over said gross illustrations. :yes:

Or you could have said sign using the All Spice guy and having a little bubble coming out of his mouth going "EWWWW - gross girls flush their pads/tampons!"

Barring that, perhaps a 2x4? Or padlock.

lolalola
Aug. 19, 2011, 01:05 AM
Actually, although it's been years since I had my period, I didn't know you couldn't flush tampons. Napkins, yes, tampons, no. It may be easier to go the port-a-potty route. The service includes weekly cleaning, so that's one less chore.

Albion
Aug. 19, 2011, 02:52 AM
It's not a hard and fast rule re: tampons (or anything else that 'seems' flushable, for that matter). Most toilets in Asia (at least, Taiwan, Hong Kong & mainland China) can't handle anything other than human waste, which means used toilet paper goes in a wastebasket. This is a very easy lesson to learn when you are the one dealing with the clogged toilet. Since the culprits are neither dealing with the clogged toilet nor the bill, I would echo the comments of others - an in person meeting seems the way to go, and perhaps additions to the bathroom facilities (flip-top basket, bags - both of which should be very inexpensive). Signs are only effective if people read & absorb them & care to follow them.

Skyedragon
Aug. 19, 2011, 04:25 AM
I would just say "one more incident and the bathroom will no longer be available" don't even offer a porta-potty. They can go before they get to the barn or after they leave. Its called planning! But this is coming from somebody who has never had the luxury of a bathroom where I board.

DownYonder
Aug. 19, 2011, 06:23 AM
Don't forget to mention that if you have to go the porta-potty route, board and lesson rates will increase. It costs money to have those things pumped and serviced.

aprilla
Aug. 19, 2011, 06:31 AM
$300 is a large amount of money and I can see why you don't want this sort of thing happening again. There's some good advice here and I agree with a lot of it. There should be some sort of group meeting, speaking to everyone including parents to explain the situation and to say how it needs to be resolved, because paying out $300 each time just isn't acceptable. You could possibly put up additional signs, in different colours to attract attention or an idea could be to move or change the signs on a regular basis, therefore attracting your attention. Hope everything works out!

blackhorsegirl
Aug. 19, 2011, 06:32 AM
You're talking to the wrong people. It's their parents who pay. Have a meeting with moms and daughters. Be Very clear about the cost of a plumber and if it happens again, divide the cost between all families with a teen daughter then rent a port-a-potty. That's what I have. Best $95 a month I've ever spent. It's always fresh, cleaned weekly, and I don't care what's thrown in it.

Skyedragon
Aug. 19, 2011, 06:41 AM
Don't forget to mention that if you have to go the porta-potty route, board and lesson rates will increase. It costs money to have those things pumped and serviced.

Good point.

And yes, it would likely be best to send a letter home to the parents or talk to the parents directly since some teens might not relies that money does not grow on trees and that somebody (their parents) have to work to support their horses!

carolprudm
Aug. 19, 2011, 07:38 AM
When I was a kid the barn didn't have indoor plumbing (for people, it did for the horses) or a portapotty. We had an outhouse

Guilherme
Aug. 19, 2011, 08:00 AM
The only completely reliable solution is to padlock the bathroom and put out the portapotty. That sucks for the users but having to spend $300 every few weeks because some people lack proper sanitary habits is a "non-starter."

G.

Moderator 1
Aug. 19, 2011, 08:53 AM
Just a heads up that we moved this thread here to Around the Farm, as it pertains to the often-delicate rural septic system we must contend with on our properties.

And is it inappropriate that I chuckled when I noticed the OP's username in conjunction with this topic? ;)

Thanks ~
Mod 1

fordtraktor
Aug. 19, 2011, 09:14 AM
Ah, the oft-debated "can you flush tampons?" debate. Far too few otherwise-educated women know this. I make a habit of mentioning it to our female houseguests, especially those were raised in cities, because they NEVER KNOW. They are shocked that you should not flush tampons into a septic system. You might get by with it the first 100 times, but that 101st is a doozy.

My dad is a licensed plumber. He swears the two biggest causes of plumbing mishaps are flushed tampons and people putting potato peels down the garbage disposal. Many people have no idea you shouldn't do that either. The starches get in there, swell up and make a nice plug. If he sees you with a potato peel anywhere near the sink he has a conniption fit.

I have never heard of anyone flushing a maxi pad, though. That is a new level of insanity...I mean, how do they get them to go down, do they have to poke them into the pipe? Maxi pads are not exactly small.

You might not be able to tell the culprit from flushed tampons by requiring a key. It tends to build up over time, so the person who flushed could result in a plug 10 poops later, not immediately after the crime. I wouldn't go that route as you'd end up nabbing the wrong person.

I would threaten them with an outhouse. It seems more ominous in winter. I would talk it up a bit...it's true outhouses grow some amazing spiders but you'll set out some traps to keep them down....and you promise you'll repaint the plywood seat every now and then to keep down the splinters...you could have a lot of fun with this.

trubandloki
Aug. 19, 2011, 11:14 AM
I have never heard of anyone flushing a maxi pad, though. That is a new level of insanity...I mean, how do they get them to go down, do they have to poke them into the pipe? Maxi pads are not exactly small.

They are a ton smaller than they used to be. ;)

I too am shocked by the number of woman who think it is weird when you ask them to not flush tampons.

I did not know the potato thing but since I have a septic tank and I do not have a garbage disposal it is not a risk I would take anyway.

halo
Aug. 19, 2011, 11:46 AM
You can talk and discuss and hang signs all you want, but you WILL end up paying another $300 and you will end up getting a Porta Potty. Your choice, it will be now or later. If now, you won't have the additional $300 to pay the plumber one more time.

Far_North_Equestrian
Aug. 19, 2011, 01:18 PM
We have septic at our house - and were always told never to flush anything but human waste and TP. BUT, mom also explained to us that if we were in town or where there are sewers, say using a public restroom at the mall - it was OK to flush TAMPONS ONLY.

What really drove this home is the first time we had the septic tank pumped out after me and my sister started having our periods. You get pads and tampons floating on the surface of the sewage when you open the tank (my sister apperently was a pad flusher).

trubandloki
Aug. 19, 2011, 01:35 PM
The people who work at the waste water treatment plant would probably not agree with your mother telling you it is OK to flush tampons if you are on sewers.

I was looking down into the sewage holding tank at a high school once and I was shocked at what was floating on top. Even plastic tampon applicators.

stryder
Aug. 19, 2011, 01:42 PM
Get the porta-potty. Padlock the bathroom. People will whine. Tough. Someone (or someones) blew it for everyone else.

You can always change your mind later. $300 a pop because people can't follow simple instructions is stupidly wasteful.

carolprudm
Aug. 19, 2011, 01:54 PM
Unless it was legally required I wouldn't bother with the porta potty

trubandloki
Aug. 19, 2011, 03:30 PM
Unless it was legally required I wouldn't bother with the porta potty

Some people pick their boarding barn because it has available facilities.
To simply go from an available water closet to nothing at all might really cause a problem with the boarders.

candyappy
Aug. 19, 2011, 03:42 PM
Why do teens do this, anyway? :confused:

Even with convenient trash cans, teens still struggle to figure out what to do with the used tampons. I still remember in high school always seeing used unwrapped maxipads piled on the backs of toilets?! Do teens have a phobia about throwing things into trash cans?

Good luck with this challenge. :lol:

Good Grief! I can't believe that teenage girls can be so utterly stupid to not know what a sanitary/ maxi pad is?? If they are using them and flushing them, what do they think they are??

Send a letter in the board bill to all females. Have a meeting with the teenagers. If it doesn't work get the porta potty and lock the bathroom up. We had one at a stable I worked at. It is a whole new experience to go when it is -40 degrees.

CatOnLap
Aug. 19, 2011, 03:48 PM
um, you guys-THREE PAGES OF FLUSHED MAXIPADS AND TAMPONS?

you really need to get out and ride more.

deltawave
Aug. 19, 2011, 03:58 PM
Post a sign RIGHT THERE that says
One more clogged potty=porta potty.
Flush ONLY toilet paper and human waste.

Yep, and direct, face-to-face human verbalization of same to all females in their fertile years. It's not gross, it's not funny, be very matter-of-fact about it. Plumber bills are costing you a bundle, it's 100% preventable, and it's one or more of these people causing the problem. It doesn't matter who, it's everyone's (well, everyone who menstruates) problem and responsibility.

Then if it happens again, follow through with the porta-potty threat.

katarine
Aug. 19, 2011, 04:02 PM
um, you guys-THREE PAGES OF FLUSHED MAXIPADS AND TAMPONS?

you really need to get out and ride more.

And you're posting here...why?

Rode every night this week, thanks.

Casey09
Aug. 19, 2011, 09:11 PM
You know, I wonder what would happen if you had a plumber come to the meeting? Do you know any that might be willing to explain what happens?
I mentioned my friend telling me about the plumber coming to her house and having a whole talk with her about not flushing tampons when I was a pre-teen. Well, I can tell you one thing - I've never ever flushed a tampon. I was horrified at the thought that I could end up discussing the issue with a plumber. Shoot, even a plumber impersonator might do.
I know what people are saying because we've had all sorts of plumbing problems at work with people flushing bizarre stuff down the toilet. We have signs about it, but signs don't always take care of the problem.
As a business owner, you have to make a business decision here on the porta-potty thing. There will be costs associated with it. The question that I would be concerned with is would there be people who might leave because of it? It seems like a small issue, but I absolutely hate porta-potties. Honestly, I'd try to plan around it, but if I were driving a long ways to the barn and all of the sudden the bathroom was replaced by a porta potty . . . I don't know.

Sonesta
Aug. 19, 2011, 10:23 PM
Just one more reason that I am so glad we are an adult only facility!

Alagirl
Aug. 19, 2011, 11:04 PM
You can talk and discuss and hang signs all you want, but you WILL end up paying another $300 and you will end up getting a Porta Potty. Your choice, it will be now or later. If now, you won't have the additional $300 to pay the plumber one more time.

portapotty?

I'd hand them a folding shovel and point to the woods! :cool:

Creaghgal
Aug. 19, 2011, 11:14 PM
I'd hand them a folding shovel and point to the woods! :cool:

LOL (but really, not so much) I happened upon a female squatting on the trail this morning...... No shovel in sight. :eek:

Portapotty WELL within walking distance too!!!!

citydog
Aug. 19, 2011, 11:40 PM
I recently moved from a barn with a full bathroom to one with just a port-a-potty. It's unpleasant, but I knew when I switched. I would not consider a barn that didn't have at least a port-a-potty, and if the barn suddenly made facilities unavailable at all I'd be out of there in a heartbeat.

Alagirl
Aug. 19, 2011, 11:57 PM
LOL (but really, not so much) I happened upon a female squatting on the trail this morning...... No shovel in sight. :eek:

Portapotty WELL within walking distance too!!!!
I squat into a heap of poison ivy before I use a portapotty....

tikihorse2
Aug. 19, 2011, 11:59 PM
I think if you decide to cut off the bathroom, you should install the port-a-potty. Otherwise, people might want to use the house bathroom. This is why one barn I boarded at installed a port-a-potty.

Galadriël Fëfalas
Aug. 20, 2011, 06:58 AM
slightly off topic - I worked in a shop and at some point in time they were "legally obliged" to provide toilet facilities for the staff, this being an old old building there was no way they were going to be able to put in a proper toilet, so they put in a new fangled type of toilet that's designed to be used in places where you can't plumb in a normal loo. The pipe coming out of this new fangled loo was about 2inches in diameter - so we were warned to only only use it to pee, and FFS don't flush anything bigger than two squares of toilet paper down there...

Invariably the loo broke down and a plumber had to be called to fix it. A note was sent out to all staff (including the men), telling us not to flush the following items down the toilet, tampons, sanitary towels ... and there were pictograms of the "offending" objects.

One of the younger lads had to ask WTF are they then?!

The toilet still gets block regardless, I think it's probably more to do with the water pressure when you're flushing than what's being flushed away...

carolprudm
Aug. 20, 2011, 09:33 AM
I squat into a heap of poison ivy before I use a portapotty....
LOL, that's why I keep my Luggable Loo in my trailer

CarolinaGirl
Aug. 20, 2011, 12:58 PM

I haven't read all the posts and don't have anything to add, but I have to agree with the above. Never once since I started having a period did it EVER occur to me to flush a maxi pad. Maybe I have too much common sense or something but that just seems like a horrible idea.... I've seen signs posted about not flushing sanitary napkins and was always like who the hell does that?!

Alagirl
Aug. 20, 2011, 07:41 PM
I haven't read all the posts and don't have anything to add, but I have to agree with the above. Never once since I started having a period did it EVER occur to me to flush a maxi pad. Maybe I have too much common sense or something but that just seems like a horrible idea.... I've seen signs posted about not flushing sanitary napkins and was always like who the hell does that?!

obviously enough women to warrant signs all over the world.... :rolleyes:

carolprudm
Aug. 20, 2011, 07:57 PM
obviously enough women to warrant signs all over the world.... :rolleyes:

Makes you wonder what they do at home

MunchkinsMom
Aug. 20, 2011, 09:23 PM
You could get one of these - no plumbing required:

http://incinolet.com/

However, I have not searched the whole site to see if it can handle feminine products or not.

carp
Aug. 20, 2011, 10:13 PM
An incinolet may not be an effective solution to user error issues. You have to use a paper liner in the bowl; otherwise the waste just sits on the chute into the burn chamber. I suspect that people who are too dumb to avoid clogging the plumbing will also be too dumb to figure out how to use the bowl liner.

back in the saddle
Aug. 20, 2011, 10:21 PM
I would put a padlock and chain around the toilet bowl and lid with a laminated copy of the plumbing bill attached. Let them go a week or two without a toilet. And I don't care if the folks who didn't do it get 'punished'. Sometimes those folks can guilt the truely guilty ones better than anyone with their complaining.

Alagirl
Aug. 20, 2011, 10:27 PM
Makes you wonder what they do at home

That is something I wondered about many people...
Like those who throw trash on the side of the road...

:rolleyes:

You should hear stories from the professional rest room attendants...:eek: is putting it mildly!

Teacup
Aug. 20, 2011, 11:33 PM
Sending a letter home may be more effective than added signs, but that still carries the risk of the incident happening again. As a boarder, I would be annoyed at a porta potty taking the place of the restroom without notice.

I was boarding at one barn and will never forget the little boy putting red Kool-Aid soaked tampons in the toilet. He thought women used the whole box at once and wanted to play a prank. Meanwhile, another boarder was wondering where her pitcher of Kool-Aid went.

karlymacrae
Aug. 21, 2011, 02:30 AM
Remember that it's not always teens.. my aunt runs a women's transition home, but the house/property is still owned by my dad.. they've clogged the septic system 3 times, which floods THEIR basement which contains the laundry room, tv room and a few bedrooms.. yet they don't learn, and my dad's stuck with the bill every time. We (3 girls and dad) only clogged it once in 9 years of living there (my sister flushed a Tigger stuffie when she was 7). The signs don't work with GROWN WOMEN, don't expect them to work with teens. Lock the bathroom door with a copy of the last bill and stick a port a potty out back.

goeslikestink
Aug. 21, 2011, 03:24 AM
So we have a barn that has a handful of teenagers coming and going. We have signs up in the bathroom asking people not to flush sanitary products down the toilet, and a little trash barrel in there so there should be no problem, right? Wrong. The sewer pump is clogged again. My tenant wants to tear her hair out and there is no good way to "train up" everyone on how to properly use the toilet. What to do next? Port a potty is my only idea - which again is punishing everyone for the sins of a few or one. Any ideas out there? It is about $300 every time the plumber has to come out.

get her to put a rules of yard on the notice board so everyone can see
and on back of toilet door, with a notice please put personal usage notice
sanitary towels in bin, then another underneath now wash hands etc

parents of young ladies and other females borders of the yard
please note---------------------- there will be an added charge
to those not adhereding to the rule of personal usage in the toilet area
of 50quid per week

that will make them adhered to it as they wont want an extra excessive charge and the boarders that dont do it will comment and tell the yard woner

Phaxxton
Aug. 21, 2011, 11:02 AM
I once boarded at a large barn where this was happening. I believe the BO either emailed a note to everyone on the list (boarders and lesson students) or sent notes with board bills. The notes clearly stated that if it happens one more time, the bathroom will be locked and a porta potty installed instead. Then, CLEAR signs and TWO trash cans were placed in the bathroom. One had a lid and was clearly labeled for feminine products. The other was clearly labeled for paper towels and other trash.

No problems after that...

Horsegal984
Aug. 21, 2011, 08:03 PM
If it's possible to put the trashcan, or a second litle one in a bathroom cabinet? or get a diaper denie type container so once they put something in it there is no chance of odor, or someone (i.e. BOYS!!!!) seeing it? The only issue I have with putting them in the barn trash is if the door gets left open the barn dogs (or my own if they're there) will drag the offending items out occasionally. I just use lots of TP and a ziplock to keep the dogs from finding it, but a more contained trash may help.

And I would have a group sitdown with all the ladies, adult and teenage. Doing it in a group would make it harder for one of them to ignore the advice, and quite frankly, they all sat through sex ed as a group, surely we can be mature for 5 min, after all they are all familiar with the offending items! And let the teenagers know a letter will be going home to the parents about board increasing, so they cannot claim you didn't warm them!

spacytracy
Aug. 21, 2011, 08:11 PM
I do think a meeting is in order. I'll be honest I flush tampons all the time. It never really occured to me NOT to until this thread.

Its so much easier to flush them, and when you're in the habit, you forget until its too late.

It might take some conscious thinking on the part of the users, I truly mean that - they need to hear it directly.

And ps - thank you to the person who posted about the Luggable Loo. OMG you might have just saved my life! I have Crohn's disease and I can't count how many times that would have come in handy!!

carolprudm
Aug. 21, 2011, 08:11 PM
A Diaper genie is a super idea

spurgirl
Aug. 21, 2011, 08:41 PM
I'm actually rather surprised at some of the previous posts regarding teenage girls/boys!!! regarding :eek:periods:eek:...My son is now 17, and he's known about young ladies "time of the month" for about a million years-well, since he was 12 or 13 anyway. He mentioned one girlfriend back when he was 15, "must be on her period again", as she was moody, or something along those lines....I'm around youths quite a bit, and this is a very open subject these days, at least around here (Northeast)...

Regarding the issue at hand, I would post a direct sign "NOTHING EXCEPT HUMAN WASTE AND TOILET PAPER IN THE TOILET. NO EXCEPTIONS" I would also call a barn meeting, AND include notes with the next board payment. DEFINITELY would raise board over this. No excuse for laziness. If the garbage is emptied several times a week, I don't think there would be a huge issue with odors, etc.

AlfalfaGirl
Aug. 21, 2011, 09:52 PM
Wow - sham wow at that! When I had my horse at a barn as a teen there was NO potty at all - porta or otherwise!:winkgrin:

There is a 3 stall rest room where I board now and there are septic tanks. It is all grown women and we have never had a problem that I know of - but I don't have to use those now anyway but really eeewwwww..... grow up and be a big girl and that means not flushing your unmentionables.

I would certain do as everyone else suggested and have a meeting with everyone and make it plain that one more time would result in a portapotty and an increase in the board. It is a shame but I don't see any way around it. $300 is $300!!!

Let us know what you do and how it works out!

CarolinaGirl
Aug. 21, 2011, 11:08 PM
That is something I wondered about many people...
Like those who throw trash on the side of the road...

:rolleyes:

You should hear stories from the professional rest room attendants...:eek: is putting it mildly!

My husband, who is military, has told me stories that the janitors/mechanics (plumbers... I have no clue what the military "officially" calls them lol) have told him when deployed in the desert. Needless to say.. apparently the women do FAR FAR more sickening things in the bathroom than the men do. Needless to say I'm appalled every time basic habits come up and that is brought up.

smokygirl
Aug. 22, 2011, 03:51 AM
i worked in a restaurant.. and yes, women's bathrooms can be far nastier than men's rooms. (though there are the "sprayers" in the men's room.. seriously, is it that hard to use a urinal? anyone.. that's a different subject).

I think you really need to specify even "flushable" tampons are not to be flushed. A lot of people who haven't been around systems that cannot handle them, probably don't realize that "feminine products" means the supposedly flushable ones too, and think it just means the wrappers and pads. (adult and teens alike).

Sansena
Aug. 22, 2011, 07:29 AM
Had a chronic toilet clogger at my farm once. Happened 3x in a row, despite signs, warnings, casual convo's etc. BO decided to replace the toilet the last time.. but took his sweet time in doing so... Probably was about a month without a toilet. People complained, but it gave an opportunity to discuss what not to flush.

Not sure if it was the talks, the time without, or the new toilet, but to my knowledge no more clogs!

FreshAir
Aug. 22, 2011, 12:16 PM
So he came out and found a plastic tampon applicator floating. I laugh about having the plumber give "the talk" about what can go in and what can't go in - he cannot even mention the product to me over the phone! Next steps are to have a meeting with the students and more explicit posters up about what cannot go down the toilet.

trubandloki
Aug. 23, 2011, 10:32 AM
I'm actually rather surprised at some of the previous posts regarding teenage girls/boys!!! regarding :eek:periods:eek:...My son is now 17, and he's known about young ladies "time of the month" for about a million years-well, since he was 12 or 13 anyway. He mentioned one girlfriend back when he was 15, "must be on her period again", as she was moody, or something along those lines....I'm around youths quite a bit, and this is a very open subject these days, at least around here (Northeast)...

Having a teen boy willing to say some girl is on the rag because she is being a b-itch does not mean they are willing to openly discuss the matter.

Nothing works better at removing the tag along teens when you are trying to have a conversation with out them than start talking about 'what brand/style of feminine product have you found works best'.

karlymacrae
Aug. 23, 2011, 03:55 PM
Having a teen boy willing to say some girl is on the rag because she is being a b-itch does not mean they are willing to openly discuss the matter.

:yes: do you know how many pre-teen and teen age boys assume that girls are on their period when they're in a bad mood?

webmistress32
Aug. 23, 2011, 04:11 PM
yep, at a barn here they finally locked up all of the "real" bathrooms and brought in a porta potty.

that taught 'em, esp after a hot summer and bone chilling cold winter.

Curb Appeal
Aug. 23, 2011, 04:15 PM
So he came out and found a plastic tampon applicator floating. I laugh about having the plumber give "the talk" about what can go in and what can't go in - he cannot even mention the product to me over the phone! Next steps are to have a meeting with the students and more explicit posters up about what cannot go down the toilet.

I remember when I was a kid we had to have a plumber to the house for some plumbing issues. The plumber referred to tampons as "sewer mice". I didn't even know what they were at the time, but my mother was mortified.