View Full Version : Any comments on the Mattes Sheepskin boots?

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Aug. 18, 2011, 02:50 PM
They look like total horse comfort. Wondering if anyone has used them & if they like them. Lots of $$$ for boots but I love my Mattes pads & girths.

Aug. 18, 2011, 03:22 PM
You can get these: http://www.dappledgrey.com.au/index.php?page=horse-boots

or http://www.peopleonhorses.com/Boots.htm

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Aug. 18, 2011, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the links!

Aug. 18, 2011, 10:37 PM
they do look nice, but are almost identical to the DSB1 and more than twice the price for a pair(I'm assuming they are sold in pairs, not a full set of 4).

The DSB2 are about $65 per pair and have reinforced bottom edge instead of the raw sheepskin edge, which I've heard can deteriorate rather quickly. I've had my DSB2s for 5 months and they still look new!

Aug. 18, 2011, 10:49 PM
Are they real leather or naugahyde vinyl with the sheepskin?

Aug. 18, 2011, 11:14 PM
I don't own sheepskin lined boots of any brand because I've always thought getting sand and schtuff OUT of that hair would be a nightmare and very uncomfortable if I was unsuccessful

Aug. 18, 2011, 11:28 PM
I don't own sheepskin lined boots of any brand because I've always thought getting sand and schtuff OUT of that hair would be a nightmare and very uncomfortable if I was unsuccessful

i was worried about that too, but its actually not a problem at all. i can go usually 4 or 5 rides before i need to wash them and brush off/beat out the dirt or sand after every ride, then when it comes time to throw them in the wash, brush off any residual and they come out looking sparkly! surprisingly, hair sticks more to fleece polo wraps than my DSB2s

Aug. 19, 2011, 12:33 PM
I don't have the Mattes, but I do have a set of leather open fronts with sheepskin lining and I really love them. Sheepskin is so great for giving the horse breathable protection, whether in a pad, girth or boots. On a hot day, I feel so much better putting the sheepskin boots on my horse over other materials (like neoprene) that I worry will trap heat around the tendons. Polos are breathable, too, of course, and I also like the Eskadron Climatex wraps for that.

A couple of things, at least on my boots: like Cadance said above, no matter how well I care for mine, the bottom edge of the sheepskin is taking a beating and it shows. Also, while they do clean up easily with Melp, I still never use them in wet conditions. That's when it's so much easier to bust out the neoprene boots and simply hose them off after!

Aug. 20, 2011, 09:36 AM

I have a set of these that I have had for almost two years. I can attest to the fact that they do wear like iron. I brush the majority of the stuff off after I ride and wash about once a month in gentle detergent. Sheepskin lining looks brand new even today. I use them for about 8 months of the year- while I am stuck riding inside. I don't use them outside because I do worry about the sand from the outdoor arean getting in the sheepskin and irritating his skin. The only part that is beginning to wear is the bottom inside edge of the rear boots, but that is more about him interfering while learning lateral movements (and thus the reason I have him booted, for the non-boot crowd) than the quality of the boots.

Aug. 20, 2011, 01:19 PM
there is a big difference between fake leather/fake fleece and the real deal :) price difference is just one difference lol!

Aug. 23, 2011, 10:32 AM
I have a sensitive horse that can only do the real sheepskin boots because the "fake" stuff gives him gunky problems on his legs. I have found that most boots do the job, with the biggest thing being the quality/stretch off the straps that hold them on.

Of note: I had a pair of really nice galloping boots with a finished edge that I put on him and the edge rubbed him raw and the resulting pea-sized cut got infected, because he is ... fragile. So, if you are considering getting the boots for a sensitive horse, maybe look at the edge finish as a con in that case.