PDA

View Full Version : Hay net that is boarding barn friendly?

minuspride
Aug. 18, 2011, 03:14 PM
As in, takes the least amount of hardware to install and is easiest to put hay in and close back up?

With fall and winter coming (and pastures closing) I'm looking for something similar to Nibble Net or whatnot because mare gets destructive when bored. My thinking is if she's working at getting her hay out, she won't be working on taking down the barn.

Thanks!!

cnvh
Aug. 18, 2011, 03:33 PM
I have a Nibblenet for my horse at his boarding barn-- it didn't require any hardware to install, just looped the top strap through the stall bars and voila, it's "installed." As for ease of filling... well, I don't find it to be all that difficult, takes maybe 30 seconds if the stall is empty. (It's at waist height, not up high.) If Horse is occupying his stall, he gets to be rather a menace as he's trying to snatch hay while I'm trying to jam it into the Nibblenet, so unless I'm in a hurry, I just pull Horse out, fill the net, and put him back in.

I got a large-enough Nibblenet (the 9" one) that, if stuffed to capacity, really only needs to be filled 1x/day as long as they're on their regular "~8 hours out" turnout schedule. My horse tends to be a hay-waster, so the NN has really helped in that regard; it may be a slight pain to fill, but there's significantly less hay wastage. From a BO's perspective, I should think that would trump the extra few seconds it takes to fill...

Nes
Aug. 18, 2011, 04:01 PM
What about metal corner hay-feeders?

They would be a big investment, but they are certainly going to be the sturdiest. Plus they are quick & really easy to use.

(Or, is this not your boarding barn, but the barn you're boarding at? In that case I'd go with the nibble nets, they look really neat)

minuspride
Aug. 18, 2011, 04:03 PM
Sorry, should have stated that! She is boarded, not my barn.
She has a metal corner one, and it hasn't seemed to slow her down yet!! :) lol

Badger
Aug. 18, 2011, 04:13 PM
I've tried the small net hay nets, the nibble nets, and the Freedom Feeder. The Freedom Feeder was definitely the boarding-barn-friendliest for me. You can get it from SmartPak, set it up in the stall (carabiner clips and baling twine) and then to fill the person only has to unclip two clips, open the net at the top like an envelope, dump the flakes of hay in, and reclip the two clips. They will have to go IN the stall to fill, though. It can also be hung from a fence.

http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/freedom-feeder-small-hole-hay-net-8785p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

I recommend the "regular" size.

LovelyBay
Aug. 18, 2011, 07:29 PM
I've tried the small net hay nets, the nibble nets, and the Freedom Feeder. The Freedom Feeder was definitely the boarding-barn-friendliest for me. You can get it from SmartPak, set it up in the stall (carabiner clips and baling twine) and then to fill the person only has to unclip two clips, open the net at the top like an envelope, dump the flakes of hay in, and reclip the two clips. They will have to go IN the stall to fill, though. It can also be hung from a fence.

http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/freedom-feeder-small-hole-hay-net-8785p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

I recommend the "regular" size.

You can also set up your Nibblenet the same way. I leave mine clipped to the wall, and just open the front clips (leaving the back clips cliped to the same D ring, stuff hay in, and close the clips. It's super easy as long as I don't stuff the bag too full.

CLEMENTINE04
Aug. 19, 2011, 10:41 AM
The barn where I board has metal hay racks in all the stalls. For the horses that are hay wasters / easy keepers, they "line" the hay rack with a small hole hay net. They just drop the hay net into the rack, and attach it to the rack itself using zip ties. They then cut off the string that would be used to hang the net so theres nothing hanging out. The hay net then stays installed in the rack permanently. This way, its easy for the barn workers to just throw the hay in the rack, and your horse is slowed down!

I thought this was an ingenious solution when I saw it at my place!

Nipntuck
Aug. 19, 2011, 09:57 PM
I use large hay bags for a couple of horses that are hay wasters, not to slow them down, but just to keep the hay in one place. I just made a loop of binder's twine around the front stall grill and use a double end snap to attach the hay bag to the twine. Easy to load!

gallupgirl
Aug. 20, 2011, 01:13 AM
Why not ask the BO/Manager what he/she prefers?

JenEM
Aug. 20, 2011, 04:54 AM
The barn where I board has metal hay racks in all the stalls. For the horses that are hay wasters / easy keepers, they "line" the hay rack with a small hole hay net. They just drop the hay net into the rack, and attach it to the rack itself using zip ties. They then cut off the string that would be used to hang the net so theres nothing hanging out. The hay net then stays installed in the rack permanently. This way, its easy for the barn workers to just throw the hay in the rack, and your horse is slowed down!

I did something similar for my mare when she was on stall rest last year, to keep her from wolfing down all her hay at once while stalled overnight. Except since it was temporary, we just rigged the small mesh haynet to be filled and the tossed up into the existing hay rack. I also liked it because since it was tied up inside the higher rack, there was no chance of the horse getting caught up in it, which would normally keep me from using a haynet in a stall. It worked really well in that case, as it kept her eating slowly enough that her hay lasted all night, rather than a few hours.