PDA

View Full Version : Micklem bridle, legal???

dressagedevon
Aug. 18, 2011, 11:50 AM
I was looking at this bridle in the new Dover catalog, went to the website and read some of the testimonials and I have two horses that have similar problems to those that were described and this bridle supposedly helped them. Dover has it to try with a trial program so I would be able to see if it truly did work before buying it, but needed to know if it's Usdf/usef legal. No since in having a bridle even if it does fix your problems I you can't show in it. http://www.williammicklem.com/micklembridle-competition.html this is the website. Thanks so much

Action42
Aug. 18, 2011, 12:02 PM
It is now legal for use in rated dressage shows.

dressagedevon
Aug. 18, 2011, 12:05 PM
Great, thanks for the quick response!!!

scubed
Aug. 18, 2011, 12:27 PM
Also, if you care, legal for eventing dressage

ThreeFigs
Aug. 18, 2011, 05:15 PM
I understand the bit clips must be removed for showing.

A student just bought one of these and her horse loves it. He's teething and the bridle seems to hold the bit steady in the mouth, especially with the clips, but even with them removed, the horse goes better.

She used it at a locally rated show this weekend.

Boomer
Aug. 20, 2011, 06:53 PM
It is legal - I showed at a recognized show in July in it- it caused a lot of interest! The TD was very interested and assured me it was legal before we talked about it.

GrayCatFarm
Aug. 20, 2011, 07:08 PM
Just bought it, am using the bit clips for now. Horse has BIG chiseled face and tiny mouth filled with a big fat tongue. Bit clips appear to stabilize bit, and I can use a D ring without it gouging his face. I suddenly have a much more responsive horse and downward transitions that are much smoother because he's not flinging his head in the air anytime I ask. Also, he seems much more accepting of the bit when I put the bridle on. Am going to experiment with some different bits due to his tongue, but so far I really like this bridle. And, I like the fact that the bit is adjustable independently from the bridle.

dressagedevon
Aug. 20, 2011, 08:04 PM
Graycatfarm and boomer which version did you buy, the actual competition version or the multiple bridle version (which can be used in something like three ways). I bought the competition one, which doesn't have the ring on the nose and the bit clips, but am thinking of buying the mutliple bridle version also for schooling.

Janet
Aug. 20, 2011, 08:15 PM
The rules say (and not new this year)

DR121.6. Micklem Bridle. Permitted for use at any level where snaffles are permitted. Not permitted
for use as a double bridle. Bit clips may not be used with this bridle. and there is a picture.

GrayCatFarm
Aug. 27, 2011, 07:19 PM
Dressagedevon,
I bought the multibridle from Dover in extra large, which turned out to be too large. I am continuing to ride in it (punched a few more holes) using the bit clips and I swear every ride gets better. Today, he was actually drooling - something I have never seen - and really listening to half halts - and rounding. I am psyched. You can see pictures on facebook (search for DL Hammond; I don't know how to link). As soon as I can confirm it is legal in HJ I plan to buy the competition bridle in large. I like that I can use it for lungeing and as a halter by simply dropping the bit out. It came with the extra attachment for the medium strength bitless bridle.

canterhavenfarm
Aug. 27, 2011, 09:21 PM
I have the competition version. It too comes with bit clips. I have not used the clips though. I LOVE this bridle. I am a bit of a pessimist when it comes to things that claim to be better than traditional so was doubtful of it being better than a regular bridle so I bought the tobacco color, small horse ( which was on sale, 1/2 price at the time). My TB was better instantly. No head flipping, downward transitions with no drama, he now listens to my body since not worried about his face thus rein pressure is slight. I did buy the small horse size and it fit but barely. So 2 weeks later, I bought the standard horse size in the havanna. Love, love it! I am still amazed how well my horse does. I keep the flash like piece loose ( he happily eats grass with it) and use it with my happy mouth jointed snaffle

Pocket Pony
Aug. 27, 2011, 10:28 PM
How do you use the extra attachments to make it bitless?

I got one also (competition) and so far my horse seems to like it. I did make a bit change around the same time so I can't say that the rooting of the bit and opening of the mouth has stopped solely because of the bridle, but the combination of a new bit and this bridle seem to really have made a difference for my mustang. He doesn't have the need to rub his nose during a ride, he doesn't go around gaping his mouth open, and the rooting has been way minimized. It is like I have a different horse. If only I had made this switch 6 months ago!!! :D

poltroon
Aug. 27, 2011, 10:32 PM
For people who like it - were you using a conventional flash before? Or some other noseband?

dressagedevon
Aug. 28, 2011, 09:44 AM
Well I got mine in, bought the competition one. Was so excited when I got it I put it together and hoped on bareback. Well my guy that will usually root really hard and dive down, didn't! We had saliva going and he stayed round. Plus he hasn't been ridden in two months!!! Last time I rode him he was not that great with lots of pulling. I am going to get the multi bridle as well for another horse. Thanks so much for the responses!!

Pocket Pony
Aug. 28, 2011, 01:04 PM
I've used just a regular cavesson, a cavesson with a flash, and a dropped cavesson. With all of them my horse would open his mouth and grab the bit and aggressively root down or set his jaw and put his head up in the air or other similar evasive types of behaviors.

I was playing around with a different bit/bridle combination last week (don't know why, as I like this current setup but I guess I just needed to try something else completely new to have as a comparison) and after my ride I checked in his mouth (don't even know why) and there were "pinch" marks inside his cheeks, apparently where the (regular) cavesson may have pinched the bit between his cheek teeth or something. :eek: Anyway, I had never seen them before. I gave him the week off of work and rode him bitless on the trails for a few days and when I put my Micklem setup back on for a dressage school yesterday there were no pinch marks afterward.

canterhavenfarm
Aug. 28, 2011, 03:01 PM
For people who like it - were you using a conventional flash before? Or some other noseband?

With my TB, I first used a french link snaffle with my hunter bridle so regular noseband. This was for our first few rides after I got him off the track. Head flipping all over the place but I figured he did not know much since being right off the track. So did a lot of work using my leg aids/body aids. He learned how to listen to my body but would still flip his head even without any rein pressure. So went to a flash to see if that would stablize the bit. Maybe bit bouncing around? That was a no. More head flipping. I am more into Jumping so we started with Hunters thus back to the hunter bridle, basic nose band. Added the standing martingale. Well, could not flip head as much but the standing made him not go forward, rather he felt 'stuck'. So off with standing, but head flipping less for a few rides then flipping began again. Tried running martingale, he hated that. With that he was just angry. So off with the running.
I then went to a happy mouth basic snaffle, standard noseband. Better. Less head flipping on the flat but head flipping to and after the jump. Next, Happy mouth Mullen ( I heard that some horses will lean on the mullen so that sounded super! better than head flipping). Head flipping as with the happy mouth snaffle. Went to the Happy mouth Jointed. Better. Head flipping a few times per ride, more flipping if I actually asked him to collect himself at the canter, thus still a problem. Clinicians suggest that I go to a german martingale but honestly, I am not into martingales.
So I looked into the Micklem. No head flipping with the Micklem. I am still amazed. We can do our jumper course, lines included and he is focused, no head flipping. And I am riding with a fairly loose rein . Just minimal contact for helping him to collect and get the hind end engaged. He now seems to focus on my body aids much better. We can turn, tight turns, without rein pressure. And he is relaxed and focused. He has never been this relaxed before the Micklem. I cannot explain it but for my OTTB, it works.

Posting Trot
Aug. 28, 2011, 03:23 PM
I have a competition version of the bridle that I've been using for 18 months or so. I've liked it a lot and it has made some difference with my mare. She has always hated a flash, but had a tendency to open her mouth no matter what bit. She seems quieter with this bridle. There has also been less head-flipping, although to be honest, a lot of things about the way I ride have changed.

It's a nice looking bridle too I think, and the leather is quite nice quality.

paintlady
Aug. 29, 2011, 03:38 PM
I'm thinking of getting one of these. How is the sizing? I have a 15.1 hh Paint with a typical QH head - wide, but short. I typically get a Horse Size, but in some brands need to replace the cheekpieces with Cob Size.

Posting Trot
Aug. 29, 2011, 06:06 PM
I have a 16 hand TB with a petite head. The cob size fits her well.

paintlady
Aug. 29, 2011, 08:52 PM
I have a 16 hand TB with a petite head. The cob size fits her well.

Does your horse wear a cob size in other bridles too? I'm trying to figure out if this bridle runs small, large or true to size compared to conventional bridles. Thanks.

Posting Trot
Aug. 29, 2011, 09:26 PM
My horse is usually (annoyingly) between a cob and a horse size. The cob size of the Micklem fit her pretty much perfectly.

Muffin
Aug. 30, 2011, 11:32 AM
I bought the multi-purpose one (that was all the Dover had in stock), in a Small Horse size (my guy is 16.2, but a very petite head). It was waaay too small for him. Couldn't even buckle the noseband!

I exchanged it for the competition one, in the Large Horse size. That one fits him better, but I did need to punch holes in it because the cheekpieces needed to be slightly shorter. The noseband and the throatlatch fit great, though.

Maybe Small Horse and Large Horse are wording exclusive to Dover? Makes more sense to do Cob and Horse, though...

Hope that helps!

paintlady
Aug. 30, 2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks all! I went ahead and ordered the regular "horse" since from Adams Horse Supply. Their sizing is Pony, Cob, Horse, Large Horse. Adams is cheaper than Dover, no tax, plus I had a $15 coupon and free shipping. I guess we'll see how it fits and works. It seems like it's gotten lots of rave reviews.

poltroon
Aug. 30, 2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks all! I went ahead and ordered the regular "horse" since from Adams Horse Supply. Their sizing is Pony, Cob, Horse, Large Horse. Adams is cheaper than Dover, no tax, plus I had a $15 coupon and free shipping. I guess we'll see how it fits and works. It seems like it's gotten lots of rave reviews.

I'll be interested in your report. Like you, I seem to collect horses that need horse sized browbands and cob sized cheeks.

One of the sites has a sizing chart - the extremely unhelpful kind that shows the size of a horse in hands to bridle size. Hello! Inches over the crown and inches across the browband are what we need to know! :p

paintlady
Aug. 30, 2011, 01:56 PM
One of the sites has a sizing chart - the extremely unhelpful kind that shows the size of a horse in hands to bridle size. Hello! Inches over the crown and inches across the browband are what we need to know! :p

:lol: You mean like these:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/pop_productinfo.asp?f=size_chart&pn=X1-12976

http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClassSizingImage.aspx?ProductClassId=8335

Not a big help for those of us with the wide, but short-headed horses. Actual measurements are much more useful - especially with a non-conventional design such as this.

I'd be happy to report back on how it fits here once I get it.

poltroon
Aug. 30, 2011, 02:00 PM
:lol: You mean like these:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/pop_productinfo.asp?f=size_chart&pn=X1-12976

http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClassSizingImage.aspx?ProductClassId=8335

Not a big help for those of us with the wide, but short-headed horses. Actual measurements are much more useful - especially with a non-conventional design such as this.

I'd be happy to report back on how it fits here once I get it.

Yeah. Mine is 13.3 and can wear a horse size in some bridles. Those charts were a waste of perfectly good electrons.

baylady7
Aug. 30, 2011, 02:11 PM
I have a friend who shows FEI levels (in a snaffle) in hers with no problems.

paintlady
Aug. 30, 2011, 03:39 PM
I have a friend who shows FEI levels (in a snaffle) in hers with no problems.

:D Hi Kathy!

I have one on order for Gracie. I volunteer as a ring steward and saw that they were legal - although no one has used ones in the rings I was at yet. I think the concept is really interesting. They've gotten mostly rave reviews too.

paintlady
Aug. 30, 2011, 03:40 PM
Yeah. Mine is 13.3 and can wear a horse size in some bridles. Those charts were a waste of perfectly good electrons.

:lol:

paintlady
Sep. 4, 2011, 06:35 PM
I tried the Micklem today. I got the standard horse size competition bridle. My mare has a typical QH head - wide, but short. The standard horse size fit well. Lots of room for adjustment too. My mare did fine in it - no miracles or anything, but no objections either. I do wish the leather was a bit nicer - was disappointed to see "Made in India" for the price.

dressagedevon
Sep. 6, 2011, 03:49 PM
Paintlady, I had the same reaction or so I though. I put it on my guy and he just went like a normal horse should. Well I loaned it out for someone to try before they bought one since I wasn't going to be riding my guy for a few days, well the opportunity to ride arose and I took it and figured what the heck I'll just ride in his old bridle, well he was horrible! The steadiness was gone he was flipping his head, bracing in the down transitions. It made a believer out of me!!