PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody show in half chaps?

good booie
Aug. 18, 2011, 09:55 AM
I don't show USDF, just my local recognized. I know it's legal but wondered if anyone out there does it.

netg
Aug. 18, 2011, 10:15 AM
I'm sure answers will vary by area, but there are a lot of half chaps at our local schooling shows.

I showed in half chaps while waiting for my custom tall boots to come in, and had I not wanted to show rated shows, no way I would have gotten the tall boots. I'm a tough fit - could only find one custom (Vogel) which seemed suited to my leg shape. While I love the boots, I wouldn't have spent that kind of money if I were only showing locally!

JCS
Aug. 18, 2011, 10:56 AM
I show in my half-chaps. They're full-grain leather, and I'm not sure if you can even tell they're chaps from far away. I just do the local schooling circuit, and I try to minimize my own stress level--hence, no braids, no jacket, no tall boots. Here's a pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55723284@N04/6055733991/in/set-72157627338115549/

Skyedragon
Aug. 18, 2011, 11:06 AM
I like the full grained leather ones if you want to go the half chap route, however they usually cost about the same as a regular pair of tall boots. Personally I find the cloth or suede half chaps to be tacky for anything but schooling at home.

good booie
Aug. 18, 2011, 11:08 AM
Pretty JCS. what brand are those? I really think I might forego the whole (new) tall boot thing. I do have a pair if I "have" to wear them but I just like the idea of halfies. Just seems easier and more practical.

good booie
Aug. 18, 2011, 11:10 AM
Agreed Skyedragon. I have the suede ones already for schooling and thought about picking up some nice leather ones for shows, clinics and lessons. The suede ones would be a big no no. Still a bit of a DQ though not completely. lol.

LSM1212
Aug. 18, 2011, 11:58 AM
I like the full grained leather ones if you want to go the half chap route, however they usually cost about the same as a regular pair of tall boots. Personally I find the cloth or suede half chaps to be tacky for anything but schooling at home.

If only I could find off the rack tall boots that fit. Half chaps are cheaper than custom boots.

Pretty JCS. what brand are those? I really think I might forego the whole (new) tall boot thing. I do have a pair if I "have" to wear them but I just like the idea of halfies. Just seems easier and more practical.

I'd love to know the brand name too. :)

JCS
Aug. 18, 2011, 12:00 PM

Thanks! They're Tredsteps. I already had a pair of old, old suede Tredsteps, but when I decided to start showing this year I bought a pair of full grain ones. I love them!!! I got a deal on them at TOTD so they were only about $70. But I also spent $120 on a new pair of paddock boots to match, so... yeah, not necessarily that much cheaper than tall boots. But worth it for me since I use them for schooling as well.

Antaeus
Aug. 18, 2011, 12:03 PM
I show in my half-chaps. They're full-grain leather, and I'm not sure if you can even tell they're chaps from far away. I just do the local schooling circuit, and I try to minimize my own stress level--hence, no braids, no jacket, no tall boots. Here's a pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55723284@N04/6055733991/in/set-72157627338115549/

Do the leather half chaps "adjust" to fit?
What paddock boots do you wear?

I have a hard time getting off the rack tall boots to fit. In the past have had semi-custom field boots. Nowadays, tho, I can't afford the huge price tag, so thought that half chaps with lace up paddocks might be the answer.

JCS
Aug. 18, 2011, 12:07 PM
Do the leather half chaps "adjust" to fit?
What paddock boots do you wear?

I have a hard time getting off the rack tall boots to fit. In the past have had semi-custom field boots. Nowadays, tho, I can't afford the huge price tag, so thought that half chaps with lace up paddocks might be the answer.

These ones don't really adjust. I know some of the Tredsteps have an elasticized panel so they kind of form to your leg, but these ones don't (they're TrimLines). They do fit snug. My problem with tall boots is that I have a really narrow calf, so with a correct calf size and foot size, I can't get my foot through the ankle of the boot easily. Half chaps solve that problem.

I'm wearing the Tredsteps with Ariat zip paddock boots. They're both dark brown, and they match quite well.

good booie
Aug. 18, 2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks JCS. Just last night I was looking through the latest Dover catalog and was really eyeballing the Treadsteps. I am lucky enough to have a Dover store nearby so may need to take a trip:)

Manni01
Aug. 18, 2011, 02:29 PM
These ones don't really adjust. I know some of the Tredsteps have an elasticized panel so they kind of form to your leg, but these ones don't (they're TrimLines). They do fit snug. My problem with tall boots is that I have a really narrow calf, so with a correct calf size and foot size, I can't get my foot through the ankle of the boot easily. Half chaps solve that problem.

I'm wearing the Tredsteps with Ariat zip paddock boots. They're both dark brown, and they match quite well.
Your half chaps look really good:) Obviously you had the same thoughts as I did. I decided for me that half chaps and Ariat Paddock Boots will be fine. I use them for schooling and everything. Its so comfortable and after my ride I just zip them off... With the tall boots it was always complicated to get out, when the boots were sweaty.....

appychik
Aug. 18, 2011, 02:37 PM
I show in half chaps as well, also Tredsteps. They are about 10 years old... Tredstep Galloway Gaitors, the paddock boots are also Tredsteps. Same age on both boots and half chaps. LOVE them.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ktazeS16a0Qgs7Zi7iIXT1vfbcF6_JsbdbuAvW-EfEA?feat=directlink

Pardon the crappy EQ ;).

Rhiannonjk
Aug. 18, 2011, 03:15 PM
It is not uncommon for riders in our area to wear half-chaps at schooling shows - even FEI level riders.

CosMonster
Aug. 18, 2011, 03:40 PM
It's common here, too. I do it if I'm going to be riding a horse or two and also coaching, because I think one pair of half chaps I own actually looks better than my comfortable schooling tall boots (they're the clunky Mountain Horse kind, not their Sportives or whatever the more streamlined ones) and my show boots are terribly uncomfortable for standing around in.

I've done it when I'm just riding, too. I usually only ride in schooling shows on young horses, so I wind up spending a lot of time hand walking and standing around holding the wild beastie. Comfort definitely trumps style for me in those situations. ;)

mishmash
Aug. 18, 2011, 04:17 PM
I show at USDF shows at Training and First in leather paddock boots and half chaps. No one has ever commented.

esdressage
Aug. 18, 2011, 05:34 PM
Thanks! They're Tredsteps. I already had a pair of old, old suede Tredsteps, but when I decided to start showing this year I bought a pair of full grain ones. I love them!!! I got a deal on them at TOTD so they were only about $70. But I also spent $120 on a new pair of paddock boots to match, so... yeah, not necessarily that much cheaper than tall boots. But worth it for me since I use them for schooling as well.

TOTD is my guilty little addiction. I check it every day, but have a rule that it has to be something I already want/need, otherwise I would be buying things left and right! But for anything that's actually needed, it's a HUGE savings! Love TOTD :)

cadance
Aug. 18, 2011, 10:45 PM
my Ariat Concord half chaps are similar to the Tredsteps mentioned above, and I've gotten some nice compliments on them. My dad saw them in pictures and was convinced I'd gotten tall boots.

http://www.hitchingposttack.com/servlet/the-1752/Ariat-Concord-Half-Chaps/Detail

BetterOffRed
Aug. 18, 2011, 10:51 PM
Rock those half chaps, Sizz!

jm2
Aug. 19, 2011, 03:45 PM
I show in mine because I hate my Petrie tall boots. I've got a pretty high anxiety mare and I HAVE to be able to move my leg. Just can't do it well in the stiff tall boots.

I'm looking to get new ones soon and I like the ones cadance posted. I currently have Ariats that are leather on the outside and suede panel on the inside but no spanish top and they zip up the outside. I want something like those concordes by ariat as they look more like tall boots.

cuatx55
Aug. 19, 2011, 04:10 PM
I show at USDF shows at Training and First in leather paddock boots and half chaps. No one has ever commented.

I think leather is ok but suede is not for recognized.

Just a head's up, I have used suede HC for schooling for years, but never could get the leather to fit well. not sure why. Don't assume if you take one size is suede the leather will be the same size/fit

I have boots to show in. My HC look like hell, so I wouldn't be seen in public with them LOL.

Eileen
Aug. 20, 2011, 04:30 PM
"I got a deal on them at TOTD so they were only about $70. "

What is "TOTD"?

Thanks

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 20, 2011, 05:49 PM
I

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ktazeS16a0Qgs7Zi7iIXT1vfbcF6_JsbdbuAvW-EfEA?feat=directlink

That is one cute pony!

TOTD = http://tackoftheday.com/Community.aspx

My trainer showed my horse wearing her half chaps. It is legal through first level, I believe.

Unfforgettable
Aug. 20, 2011, 10:30 PM
I show in my Petrie half chaps. They look just like a tall boot, and are very reasonably priced.
http://www.dressageextensions.com/ProductDetail.asp?KEY=6500