PDA

View Full Version : Watch Carl Hester and Uthopia at the Euros

Casablanca
Aug. 18, 2011, 07:24 AM
This is pure magic :yes:

Carl even had time to watch the score-board during his ride.

http://www.topdressage.tv/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3471

Brindisi
Aug. 18, 2011, 08:02 AM
7 10's for extended trot?!!!! What a gorgeous horse. Nice to see Carl doing so well.

nomeolvides
Aug. 18, 2011, 08:14 AM
What a gorgeous picture they make! Lovely and light. No leaning back hauling on the curb. Thanks for posting the link to the video.

TemJeito
Aug. 18, 2011, 08:29 AM
I cried at the end :o Magic indeed :) :) !

Ginger
Aug. 18, 2011, 09:16 AM
Better than Toto's score. Gold for GB!!!

netg
Aug. 18, 2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the link!

Is Uthopia barefoot? That last centerline they show his hooves and it kind of looks like it. I was guessing he actually has glue-ones or something, or just enough dirt collecting on the shoes that they aren't obvious?

Equibrit
Aug. 18, 2011, 11:30 AM
Rule Britannia;http://www.ecdressage2011.com/result/1/

Livestream; http://nos.nl/sport/livestream/stream/55/

That video Theo stole is painful.

Antaeus
Aug. 18, 2011, 11:57 AM
Fantastic!
I was wishing I understood the commentator's language and then she said "Totilas, eat your heart out." :yes:

Ginger
Aug. 18, 2011, 01:57 PM
Toto didn't have a vote on which team he'd play for. Now if Toto/Gal took on Uthopia/CH and Valegro/CD, I'd say that would be one heck of a show-down.

Lost_at_C
Aug. 18, 2011, 03:00 PM
I've finally had a chance to watch Carl's ride... wonderful! I'm so glad that he is finally getting the credit and fame he deserves. I really hope that Carl, Charlotte and Laura and their mounts all stay sound and healthy mentally and physically until this time next year!

Oberon13
Aug. 18, 2011, 03:24 PM
Wow! What a fantastic ride! And, he's not barefoot...you can see the shoes in the profile shots (slow mo canter pirouettes and such at the end).

What an amazing horse...and so happy and relaxed throughout. If these British riders are sound and healthy, next year's Olympics are going to be a blast to watch!

netg
Aug. 18, 2011, 03:50 PM
Wow! What a fantastic ride! And, he's not barefoot...you can see the shoes in the profile shots (slow mo canter pirouettes and such at the end).

What an amazing horse...and so happy and relaxed throughout. If these British riders are sound and healthy, next year's Olympics are going to be a blast to watch!

Thanks - my connection was too slow to even wait for the replays to load. :)

SGray
Aug. 18, 2011, 05:25 PM
luv my internet connection at work -- and the fact that it is slow today
have been able to watch many of the rides on the site Equibrit provided

really interesting to see the contrast of styles of the various horses/riders

don't I just wish I could ride like any of them!

Lost_at_C
Aug. 18, 2011, 07:07 PM
Nice interview with Richard Davison here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Y6_WmEqRw

I'm very excited that all four Brits will be in the Special!

RougeEmpire
Aug. 18, 2011, 07:41 PM
DAMNNNNNNN! now thats a broke horse! Refreshing to see some real honest and true dressage, well ridden! Way to go you crazy Brits and good luck! That ride restored a little of my faith in the "sport"!

dwblover
Aug. 18, 2011, 08:00 PM
WOW, Carl's riding is truly art in motion. If I could make one wish for my own riding, it would be to have his tact, feel, and unfaltering hands!!! And Uthopia is simply stunning, and for once we see a horse just as expressive behind as he is up front! Just wonderful!!!:D

BEARCAT
Aug. 18, 2011, 08:41 PM
Anyone else find that ├╝ber fluffy white girth distracting? Me eyes kept getting drawn to it... Which they would have gotten a darker one.

kinnip
Aug. 18, 2011, 09:09 PM
Hail Brittania, baby! I am loving this new trend in dressage. Training fads come and go, but good equitation will always remain.

Equibrit
Aug. 18, 2011, 10:55 PM
The guy at the root of all this is Dr B. That is Laura Bechtolsheimer's Dad.
He got Carl Hester started, who got Charlotte Dujardin started, and of course coaches his daughter Laura.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbr1wg_laura-bechtolsheimer-dressage-train_animals

dressagesweethart
Aug. 19, 2011, 12:14 AM
Epic :cool: Congratulations to the Brits on their first FEI European Championship team gold medal :D And I love Laura since she's my age and already making a huge stand in the dressage world :D

WILLOW&CAL
Aug. 19, 2011, 07:48 AM
That was a beautiful ride. Carl is such an inspiration to me. A great man and a great horseman.

princessfluffybritches
Aug. 19, 2011, 10:20 PM
DAMNNNNNNN! now thats a broke horse! Refreshing to see some real honest and true dressage, well ridden! Way to go you crazy Brits and good luck! That ride restored a little of my faith in the "sport"!

You got it!!! I was just going to post that too! "Real" Dressage!

paulaedwina
Aug. 20, 2011, 08:09 AM
I was saying on another board that I hadn't enjoyed any upper level dressage in a long time. I felt the discipline was being celebrated with teams of riders and horses that looked stuffed, stiff, cranked, tense, less correct, and over-muscled. I meditate on Reiner Klimke's 1984 Olympics performance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKbqokuTzh8

I literally study it and meditate on his connection, lightness, seat, etc. I look at his horse and his horse's expression and softness. That is dressage for me.

I haven't had any other video that I watch obsessively until Carl Hester at Rotterdam. To my mind he and his horse exhibited the art of dressage in the way that Klimke did for me in that 1984 video.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkllj1_1-carl-ester-82-568-gbr-uthopia-rotterdam-dressage-grand-prix-championships-18-08-2011_sport

That's what I aspire to.

Paula JMO of course

lovey1121
Aug. 20, 2011, 08:45 AM
Great start to the AM-I'm watching the championships on my laptop and DH is watching preseason football on the TV. Guess who's on mute???

Even better--its 63 degrees!! Autumn closin in...thank heavens.

alicen
Aug. 20, 2011, 09:39 AM
I think Hester's ride is superior to Klimke's ride in every way. Does anyone know what % Klimke would have gotten for that ride?

paulaedwina
Aug. 20, 2011, 09:41 AM
I don't see it necessary to compare the 2 in an Alien vs Predator scenario. They are both top notch performances that inspire greatness in us. That's plenty good enough for me, IMO.

Paula

Equibrit
Aug. 20, 2011, 10:10 AM
There is an interesting juxtaposition in the first two pics in this article; http://www.eurodressage.com/equestrian/2011/08/18/carl-hester-and-uthopia-have-swagger-and-rule-morning-session-second-grand-prix-day

lovey1121
Aug. 20, 2011, 10:10 AM
Yup. Like comparing a '63 Corvette to a 2011 Vette. Both spectacular in different eras....not to be compared.

alicen
Aug. 20, 2011, 10:15 AM
I don't see it necessary to compare the 2 in an Alien vs Predator scenario. Paula

Who is?

paulaedwina
Aug. 20, 2011, 11:06 AM
I was referring to this, "I think Hester's ride is superior to Klimke's ride in every way. Does anyone know what % Klimke would have gotten for that ride?"

Both Alien and Predator kick serious butt.

Paula

lovey1121
Aug. 20, 2011, 11:23 AM
Anyone know who the dude in the royal blue shirt is??

lovey1121
Aug. 20, 2011, 11:51 AM
(Lightbulb on) Sven Rothlesberger! (sp)

ummmm....Toto.....sad I am.

It must have been an extremely electric atmosphere-so many whoopsies from so many horses.

Congrat's to the Brits!!!! Well done!!!

Brindisi
Aug. 20, 2011, 11:58 AM
Take one world's-best-horse, add a bunch of arrogant Germans who want to outdo the Dutch but don't have the right attitude or feel for the horse, throw in some unexpected Pommie superstars to put them in their place and watch all hell break loose...

I'm not going to get stuck into Carl vs Klimke, but I am delighted to see some different faces doing a great job. The dressage world needs a shake up. Maybe Matty will start to take notice of what others are seeing...I am dying to see him just sit and be a passenger rather than overriding every moment.

Super work from Adelinde and Carl, just a shame about those one times...

CFFarm
Aug. 20, 2011, 12:24 PM
Take one world's-best-horse, add a bunch of arrogant Germans who want to outdo the Dutch but don't have the right attitude or feel for the horse, throw in some unexpected Pommie superstars to put them in their place and watch all hell break loose...

But, but, it's all about the training, isn't it? There's no competition in dressage, remember? Wink, wink.

Brindisi
Aug. 20, 2011, 12:38 PM
Ohhh but of course.... ;)

No, in all honesty it is really lovely to see horses like Uthopia and Valegro doing a beautiful job.

It's just an added bonus to see the Germans freaking out (on camera!!) as they realise medals can't be bought - great horses are made, not purchased. Guess the Germans have ensured it will all be about the training after all! :P

(And in case any Germans read this, I do actually like you guys. It's just a shame your country is being represented by the sickening Toto circus. When it all blows over we might see some more fresh blood to make things even more interesting!)

Equibrit
Aug. 20, 2011, 12:43 PM
It's all set for Carl to kick butt in the freestyle !

cai
Aug. 20, 2011, 02:01 PM
I was there!! It was really thrilling! Crowd was on the edge of their seats with so many ups and downs. Wonderful for Holland to win at home and a fantastic ride by Cornelissen who was so composed after regrouping. Crowd was very appreciative of Uthopia and Totilas, whom I'm sure stilll holds special meaning.

ise@ssl
Aug. 20, 2011, 02:30 PM
BRAVO AND BEAUTIFUL. So wonderful to see a powerful AND relaxed peformance!! Correct and a total joy to watch. The lightness was incredible.

paulaedwina
Aug. 20, 2011, 03:57 PM
This bears repeating

"BRAVO AND BEAUTIFUL. So wonderful to see a powerful AND relaxed peformance!! Correct and a total joy to watch. The lightness was incredible."

Paula

Xpression
Aug. 21, 2011, 04:50 AM
Lovely lovely ride!

His trot extensions are magnificent! But was I the only one who got a little scared during his canter zig-zag? It was very unbalanced.

stolensilver
Aug. 21, 2011, 05:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1FmfP8aQtU&feature=grec_index

Roni that's NOT Carl Hester. Is was taken at Munich CDI June 2-5 2011 and Carl Hester WAS NOT EVEN TAKING PART! Stop causing trouble. It isn't big and it isn't clever.

nomeolvides
Aug. 21, 2011, 07:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1FmfP8aQtU&feature=grec_index
What the hell?! Do you think we're all thick or something?

Roni4444
Aug. 21, 2011, 08:28 AM
This is the warm up in Muchic for a show and the comments that discuss the ride state that this is C H. If this is not the case I appoligize but the commentators seem certain

alicen
Aug. 21, 2011, 08:30 AM
What the hell?! Do you think we're all thick or something?

Wrong thread? Maybe even wrong forum?

ise@ssl
Aug. 21, 2011, 08:30 AM
I would ask that the people who are posting a video at Rotterdam in a warmup that represent it is Carl Hester when it is NOT HIM to remove them. I flagged one and told them moderators. This is not acceptable to try to smear someone with a video of another rider.

Roni4444
Aug. 21, 2011, 08:34 AM
I dont mind deleting the post it if this is not him. I went by what the discussions of it were

alicen
Aug. 21, 2011, 08:38 AM
This is the warm up in Muchic for a show and the comments that discuss the ride state that this is C H. If this is not the case I appoligize but the commentators seem certain

And would you be so kind as to point out exactly where the name Carl Hester occurs?

nomeolvides
Aug. 21, 2011, 08:41 AM
That is not the case.

Roni4444
Aug. 21, 2011, 11:30 AM
Again, my apologies! I saw this in the along with an EM discussion and drew the wrong conclusion:confused:

lovey1121
Aug. 21, 2011, 12:10 PM
Roni4444, (5 posts)....so you registered on COTH JUST to post this (totally fraudulent, inflammatory) video? You are one strange cookie.

What exactly was your motivation, pray tell? Actually, never mind. I can guess.

Gestalt
Aug. 21, 2011, 07:35 PM
Wow, I see why there are some posts comparing his ride to that of Klimke's '84 ride in L.A. Beautiful energy!

As opposed to the kick and pull ride in the vid posted by roni4444. Ick.

And wasn't it wonderful the way he could release the reins and reward his horse with pats at the end. Was AVG ever able to do that with any of her horses?

paulaedwina
Aug. 21, 2011, 07:44 PM
Indeed, Gestalt. The moment I saw him ride I thought of Klimke in 1984. I was moved. I've watched the video quite a few times since yesterday.

Paula

carolprudm
Aug. 21, 2011, 08:08 PM
Roni4444, (5 posts)....so you registered on COTH JUST to post this (totally fraudulent, inflammatory) video? You are one strange cookie.

What exactly was your motivation, pray tell? Actually, never mind. I can guess.

Theo?

Gestalt
Aug. 21, 2011, 08:24 PM
Theo?

What is it with some people that they feel the need to reinvent themselves just to cause more trouble!?

Paula, I absolutely agree with one of your earlier posts about not watching GP much because of the type of rides and riding involved. When I see riders literally leaning back pulling on the horses mouth yet their spurs are stuck in their sides it makes my stomach go into knots. Nothing says "lightness or dance" in that.

belambi
Aug. 21, 2011, 08:44 PM
Guys..

If you watched last nights freestyle, you would be aware that Theo made Carls freestyle. So I suggest that posts blaming anyone directly are inapropriate!

grayarabs
Aug. 21, 2011, 11:07 PM
I watched the ride of CH. Lovely - as all have said.

I watched the other vid/warm-up that at the time I thought was CH - as posted - and it really burst my bubble. It bothered me well into the night.
Was so glad to learn that it was not CH in that vid. But I am still bothered.
What was the horse doing that the rider was trying to "correct"?
What was the rider thinking needed "correcting"? ie IIRC the bending/pulling the left reins. The rider leaning back - the reins long etc. Was the horse being "strong" and "barging" forward? If that was part of the problem - was leaning back rather the wrong thing to do - as some would say sitting a tidge behind the vertical is a driving seat? ie a more vertical seat by the rider the horse has generally learned is a more "slowing down" "collection" aid?
So many things the UL riders do in warm-up and for corrections I don't understand. I never have ridden at that level - but still..........I think I can tell when something does not look right rider-wise. So - after being my usual wordy self - could anyone tell what the horse was doing that the rider was objecting to and trying to fix - with an explanation why the rider was "fixing" like he was?