PDA

View Full Version : rubs from easyboot gloves?

Robyn
Aug. 17, 2011, 11:51 PM
Can they be used in sand without rubbing? I like to put them on - when I can GET them on - before I ride in the arena and then I'm set for a trail ride after, but I'm worried about rubs from sand entering. I had a very slight rub last week but think it may have been operator error since I don't think the boot was "all the way" on... Hopefully the new wide fit will help that?

Rondar
Jan. 20, 2012, 08:15 PM
I use all 4 gloves in a sand / rubber arena and wondered about this too. In 6 months of doing ring work, 30-40 mins / day, no rubs!

Kellyaw
Jan. 20, 2012, 09:59 PM
Lots of my friends use easyboot gloves and so there is a lot of discussion about preventing rubs. This question was recently posted on one of our endurance lists:

I take my horse's shoes off in the winter and use easyboot epics. I'm having
trouble with rubs on the sides. Anyone have ideas how to prevent rubs from
gaiter?

I am passing on this response from equine podiatrist Natalie Herman. She specializes in
barefoot and booted horses. (BTW, I use EB Gloves in winter for 5 of my horses
and have never had rubs, but the back boots do flip off going up steep muddy
hills, so I quit using them on hind feet).

a) do the boots have new style (double layered, contoured) gaiters? If not, get
some and replace old gaiters..solves 90% of rubs
b) many horses must adapt to the gaiters... just like a horse first getting
backed often gets girth galls before the girth area toughens up... so riding
only now and then in boots is not conducive to this process... start with short
rides, work up to longer rides...
c) loosen the gaiter... I know EC says to tighten them a good bit, but some
horses just do better with loose gaiters...

below_gravity
Jan. 23, 2012, 10:14 AM
I have logged almost 700 miles this year in easyboot gloves. The most important thing I found to prevent rubbing was to use them frequently. If you don't use them for months and then throw them on and expect to ride for two hours, you might get your self into trouble! Its just like breaking in a new pair of boots for yourself.