PDA

View Full Version : Horsey Areas near Oklahoma City??

azdreamride
Aug. 17, 2011, 05:54 PM
Husband considering a job in Ok City, OK-- does anyone have suggestions of good rural areas within 30min drive of the city??

I've never been to Ok city, so I have no clue-- we would be looking to purchase a small farmette-- 5-10 acres, nothing fancy, just simple rural living---

Are there any areas like this??

thanks for any advice.

clanter
Aug. 17, 2011, 06:08 PM
Husband considering a job in Ok City, OK-- does anyone have suggestions of good rural areas within 30min drive of the city??

I've never been to Ok city, so I have no clue-- we would be looking to purchase a small farmette-- 5-10 acres, nothing fancy, just simple rural living---

Are there any areas like this?? .

Pretty much the whole state... most likely Edmond on the north side will be mentioned the most

as note any thing south of I-40 in considered north Dallas by many in OKC

hillary again
Aug. 17, 2011, 08:01 PM
Hi OP:
I am a native Tulsan. I don't live in OK now and have not for a long time, but I grew up showing in OK decades ago.
Oklahoma is filled with horses, and horse culture, though not always sport horses :), unless you consider barrels, roping, and reining to be part of that set of disciplines.

The area south of OKC, toward Dallas (uh, not quite North Dallas :)) had many large horse farms. I was told that limestone in the soil creates a grass that rivals Kentucky's bluegrass: so you see lots of QH farms there.

You should have no trouble with finding many properties which match your description.

Note the weather a bit: it can be bloody cold, horribly hot, tornadoes, and the wind in OKC blows hard ALL THE TIME. ALL THE TIME.

The great part: it's a horse friendly culture and lots of people are "into" horses.

Good luck with your options!

sandsarita
Aug. 17, 2011, 08:45 PM
I grew up in one of the areas that would be in your driving range, out west of OKC in an area called Mustang/Yukon. Here is a little hint about OKC, though. OKC covers a HUGE amount of land, alot of it is actual country and some of it is outside of Oklahoma County. It will not be hard finding 5-10 acres at all, there are some neighborhoods that are designed to have horses with about 2-3 acres per house with horse safe fencing put in when the neighborhood is built. This is true horse country. If you know where your husband is working at, go from there. The traffic in OKC isn't bad, but considering how close you can probably live and have land, it would be worth it. Edmond is popular, as well as Purcell (south of OKC). And I may be joining you in the Spring looking for my own place (I'm job hunting at the moment up there, and getting back in horse country is a huge draw). Best of luck to you, and the Fairgrounds in OKC is a wonderful place to show.

horsetales
Aug. 17, 2011, 08:45 PM
I liked (lived in) the Norman area - home to OU. I would vote for either south towards Norman or North to Edmond.

Gloria
Aug. 17, 2011, 09:08 PM
Oklahoma is full of horses, and regulations here are much more horse friendly than many other states. OKC recently renovated its state fair arena - beautiful and gorgeous. And OSU has one of the best veterinary programs of the nation, which I consider one of the main reasons we always have quality care within easy reach. There are several very good equine clinics around OKC. And Oklahoma City has one of the lowest unemployment rates of the nation, which is a major plus in this stinky economy.

We have 15 acres east of Oklahoma City (Choctaw) and I work in downtown. The commute is about 15~30 minutes each way for me depending on whether I need to be at office at 8:00am on any given day. If I were willing to add another 10 minutes of commute, I would be able to get about twice the property for the same price.

Edmond is lovely (used to live there) but there has been a population explosion and the property value has gone up tremendously, same as Norman. I used to live in Norman (OU grad) and I loved that little town (when it was little college town that was) but I don't think I can stand living there any more... simply too crowded for my taste. Still worth looking into though.

If you look toward both east and west, the property will be less expensive, less traffic jam .

If you go the route of Edmond or Norman, I can almost guarantee you the commute will be over thirty minutes each way due to traffic, unless your husband's job allows him flexibility as to when to show up to work. My work allows certain flexibility so I don't usually show up until 8:30am or later, and that allow me to skip traffic and cut commute to about 15 minutes.

But of course weather here sucks:cry:. Too cold in winter and too hot in summer (born and raised in a much gentler climate), and the wind drives me crazy.

Unfortunately with several tornado warnings each year, I have yet witnessed one, and I have lived here for close to 15 years. But I guess we can't have everything glory and sunhine. sigh.

Let me know if you need any help.:)

azdreamride
Aug. 17, 2011, 11:39 PM
Thanks everyone! sounds promising, I have driven through OK
twice, once on my way to PA and once on my way back to AZ and both times it was very windy....so I was wondering if it was always windy out there, thanks for answering that for me.

as a youngster I did h/j eq. but now I have a lovely quarter horse mare and a rescued senior TB...so just a pleasure/fun rider right now, I do enjoy the occasional show though...and have been thinking about getting into the western scene...seeing that the last English schooling show I went to, the judge said I had a nice little roping horse, that happens to be cute English as well;)

azdreamride
Aug. 17, 2011, 11:44 PM
Thanks Gloria for the info on driving distances, that is so important. right now we are blessed to have a 20 min drive to town with NO traffic EVER...
my husband leaves very early for work i.e 6am so I'm thinking he may avoid most traffic, but the area you are in sounds good---the less commute the better.

Sonesta
Aug. 18, 2011, 11:40 AM
COTH's own Kathy St. Martin of Equine-Reproduction.com lives near OKC in Wynnewood. She seems to like it there - at least until the heat wave and drought this year.

MeghanDACVA
Aug. 18, 2011, 02:39 PM
I live just north of OKC in Guthrie, which is north of Edmond. To where I work it is about 35 mins. BUT not to all parts of the city. So the first thing I would ask you is where in the city is your hubby going to be working?

What are you needing horse-wise?
Are you looking to board? If so what are you needing/wanting/discipline?
Are you looking to buy? If so: how much land? How finished? What budget?
Edmond is the most expensive part of OK to live in.
As you get North of Edmond, prices get better.

It would be easier if you just contacted me and then we can talk. PM me.

Meghan

crosscreeksh
Aug. 20, 2011, 07:51 PM
My one suggestion is to go and look at the areas IN PERSON!!! Opinions differ a lot and if DH and/or I had LOOKED at our area of OK (NE Green Country) we would have stayed in North Carolina or moved somewhere else!!! It is very "different" here than Southern Pines and I don't like it at all!!! But...the people are really nice!!!