PDA

View Full Version : Where's the "best truck tires" thread?

mvp
Aug. 16, 2011, 10:05 PM
We had one. I can't find it and neither can Search.

Can any of you find it... or restart it here and I'll ask the Mods to merge 'em?

"Baby needs new shoes."

mvp
Aug. 17, 2011, 08:20 AM
Well, now we're in trouble.

I asked for some help from a tire-afficionado friend and got an education....but not a complete one. So now I have technical questions for y'all.

So... for a 2001 4WD F-350...

I need Load Range D or do I have to go up to E?

And all kinds of question about those three numbers that give the dimensions of tires. Some are about wheel size, some are about how "tall" the tire is-- which will change torque. And some are about width-- so I don't have the tires rub on the wheel wells while turning.

He-elp?!?

tasia
Aug. 17, 2011, 09:16 AM
My SO if out fishing, but when he gets back later I'll have him reply. He has a tire store and does cars/trucks/trailers. We have horses and we haul, so he's into safety.

IFG
Aug. 17, 2011, 11:46 AM
I had started one of the tire threads.

Based on advice on that one, I have a 1999 F-250, it had Toyo A/T, just put on Michelin A/T, and boy does it drive better. Beware, the Michelin site gave us the wrong info on size ( I think that they said 235, and we needed 265).

mroades
Aug. 17, 2011, 12:16 PM
Michelin..and yes you need E

tasia
Aug. 18, 2011, 09:05 PM
It all depends on what your doing with the truck. Are you towing, if so what? Has the trucks suspenion been modified? Are you looking for a larger tire with a bigger foot print? Are you in snow, street, or mud? What else is the truck used for? These are some of the questions I ask my customers before I can give them their options.

By Tasia's SO who has recovered from a tough day fishing.

Petstorejunkie
Aug. 18, 2011, 09:14 PM
I would marry my dunlop AT 10ply tires... I went for super overkill since they are on my 97expedition

msj
Aug. 19, 2011, 07:55 AM
This looks like it could be a great thread. :) I need new tires for my '05 Silverado 1500 but I don't haul with it. Just basic everyday driving and occasionally bringing home about 25 or so bags of shavings and the occasional fence post or 2. Right now the truck rides like a truck so to say. It's always been a really rough ride. I swear you feel when you've driven over a strip of tar on the road. :( Supposedly Chevy trucks are a softer ride than Ford but my '99 Ford F-150 was a much smoother ride by far.

I hope that tasia's SO comes back on and can recommend some tires for me. I need to get the truck inspected next month so I need to make the decision pretty soon cause the current tires probably won't pass inspection and even if they do, they aren't going to get me through another western NY winter for sure.

Please don't someone come on and tell me I should have an energy-efficient car instead of a gas-guzzling truck. I have a farm and it would be foolish to drive anything else. I'm also retired and put less than 7000 miles on the truck in a yr. Believe me I use more gas in my mowers than the truck. :yes:

tasia
Aug. 19, 2011, 08:09 AM
He's at work right now, but I'll ask him to reply later :)

msj
Aug. 19, 2011, 10:15 AM
He's at work right now, but I'll ask him to reply later :)

Thanks in advance. :) :)

Where'sMyWhite
Aug. 19, 2011, 10:28 AM
I have an 2000 F250.

I put on the same size tires I pulled off.

Bridgestone sales droid offered me D rated as they are cheaper but when I told him I towed, he immediately said stay with the E rated tires.

I forget what I had on before this set but this set is the Bridgestone Dueller Revo's. LOVE THEM.

Whatever I had before (Cooper's maybe?) hated them, drove poorly and much louder road noise..

And the Revo's are E rated. If you are going to tow/haul, I would spend the $$ and get the E rated tires (and no re-treads).

tasia
Aug. 19, 2011, 05:43 PM
This looks like it could be a great thread. :) I need new tires for my '05 Silverado 1500 but I don't haul with it. Just basic everyday driving and occasionally bringing home about 25 or so bags of shavings and the occasional fence post or 2. Right now the truck rides like a truck so to say. It's always been a really rough ride. I swear you feel when you've driven over a strip of tar on the road. :( Supposedly Chevy trucks are a softer ride than Ford but my '99 Ford F-150 was a much smoother ride by far.

Please don't someone come on and tell me I should have an energy-efficient car instead of a gas-guzzling truck. I have a farm and it would be foolish to drive anything else. I'm also retired and put less than 7000 miles on the truck in a yr. Believe me I use more gas in my mowers than the truck. :yes:

He's back...

SO is in the house. Now is your truck 2wd or 4wd? Do you drive in the snow, mud, or just street? Do you know what size your tires are? I need the answers to atleast the first two questions to help.

msj
Aug. 19, 2011, 08:15 PM
He's back...

SO is in the house. Now is your truck 2wd or 4wd? Do you drive in the snow, mud, or just street? Do you know what size your tires are? I need the answers to atleast the first two questions to help.

Sorry, I should have added that info initially. Truck is a 4WD. I do drive in some snow if I have to but our snow removal here in western NY is generally very good and being retired if I don't have to go out, I usually don't until the weather gets better. I don't do off road(mud) unless I've gotten both the riding mower and the 4WD tractor stuck. So far that hasn't happened but there's always the first time. :yes:

The current tires are Goodyear Wrangler ST and here is all the writing that may be of importance to him:

M+S P265/70R17 1135 Standard Load

T313319-01 GRF 95 VM

E 13 028746

TPC Spec 1210MS

These are the tires that came on the truck when I got in new in 2005. I currently have about 42000 miles on the truck. It's truly driven by a little old lady. Well, OK a tough old bird to be exact! :lol: :lol:

tasia
Aug. 20, 2011, 08:10 AM
Sorry, I should have added that info initially. Truck is a 4WD. I do drive in some snow if I have to but our snow removal here in western NY is generally very good and being retired if I don't have to go out, I usually don't until the weather gets better. I don't do off road(mud) unless I've gotten both the riding mower and the 4WD tractor stuck. So far that hasn't happened but there's always the first time. :yes:

The current tires are Goodyear Wrangler ST and here is all the writing that may be of importance to him:

T313319-01 GRF 95 VM

E 13 028746

TPC Spec 1210MS

These are the tires that came on the truck when I got in new in 2005. I currently have about 42000 miles on the truck. It's truly driven by a little old lady. Well, OK a tough old bird to be exact! :lol: :lol:

SO says he would like to research your options so you don't have to spend a lot of money, but will still get a good ride/tire. He will reply Monday night:yes:

mvp
Aug. 22, 2011, 06:27 PM
Michelin..and yes you need E

Oh, really now? Just asking because 1) I haul a 2h DR BP that weighs #3,500 empty. It's not the heaviest thing anyone puts behind a truck; and 2) Because the "Yes, buy More Truck.... (duh)" is a well-known school of thought among horsers. I'm in it. But does this apply here? Load Range E for just a 2H BP?

He's back...

OK, my case.

Truck will wear 265/75/16s or similar. She will be mainly on roads and rain. Some snow, but only if I go find it. She will meet as much mud as you would driving into your average boarding barn. No swamps, not too many "get the loaded trailer off the field of wet grass" situation.

The road tires I saw look like nothing I have ever put on a truck. I think I need some kind of All Terrain?

Tire Boy's thoughts please?

(Oh yes, and I have a trailer tire question/problem brewing, too). I'll save that for another thread unless you wish to go there.

tasia
Aug. 23, 2011, 06:59 PM

T313319-01 GRF 95 VM

E 13 028746

TPC Spec 1210MS

SO online. Ok after researching the options my recommendation is a Bridestone AT RH. A tire with good traction without going overboard, and still has a good ride. This should suit your needs very well. Stay with the p-metric tires which is the standard load or 4 ply tires.

tasia
Aug. 23, 2011, 07:08 PM
Oh, really now? Just asking because 1) I haul a 2h DR BP that weighs #3,500 empty. It's not the heaviest thing anyone puts behind a truck; and 2) Because the "Yes, buy More Truck.... (duh)" is a well-known school of thought among horsers. I'm in it. But does this apply here? Load Range E for just a 2H BP?

OK, my case.

Truck will wear 265/75/16s or similar. She will be mainly on roads and rain. Some snow, but only if I go find it. She will meet as much mud as you would driving into your average boarding barn. No swamps, not too many "get the loaded trailer off the field of wet grass" situation.

The road tires I saw look like nothing I have ever put on a truck. I think I need some kind of All Terrain?

Tire Boy's thoughts please?

(Oh yes, and I have a trailer tire question/problem brewing, too). I'll save that for another thread unless you wish to go there.

Tire Boy? Does that come with a cape? Ok Bridgestone AT RH, It's an all terrian without going overboard and will give you a good ride. Stick with the 4 ply or P-metric tires, more plys are not needed in your case. More will give you a stiffer ride and will be over kill.

msj
Aug. 23, 2011, 08:03 PM
SO online. Ok after researching the options my recommendation is a Bridestone AT RH. A tire with good traction without going overboard, and still has a good ride. This should suit your needs very well. Stay with the p-metric tires which is the standard load or 4 ply tires.

Tasia's SO, thank you very much for taking the time to check this out. I get the truck inspected next month so first thing I do is to check out the tires you recommended, Bridestone AT RH and see if my local tire place has them. A phone call can do that.

Thanks again. :) :) :)

tasia
Aug. 24, 2011, 08:11 AM
Tasia's SO, thank you very much for taking the time to check this out. I get the truck inspected next month so first thing I do is to check out the tires you recommended, Bridestone AT RH and see if my local tire place has them. A phone call can do that.

Thanks again. :) :) :)

You're welcome:) Let us know what you end up going with.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Aug. 24, 2011, 01:00 PM
OMG(osh) Will he help me too!? Pretty please with sugar on top! I will go get specs tonight if so. I have tried and tried to figure this out on my own and I am failing miserably. The factory tires that are on my Ford scare me, even thought the tred is still good...

tasia
Aug. 24, 2011, 02:40 PM
OMG(osh) Will he help me too!? Pretty please with sugar on top! I will go get specs tonight if so. I have tried and tried to figure this out on my own and I am failing miserably. The factory tires that are on my Ford scare me, even thought the tred is still good...

Yes:)

tasia
Aug. 24, 2011, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=mvp;5793327

Tire Boy's thoughts please?.[/QUOTE]

He says he's happy you didn't name him Rubber Man:lol:

2bee
Aug. 24, 2011, 04:27 PM
For the tire challenged;

Go to www.tirerack.com. Enter your pickup's make, year, etc. Right below that, click "tires". Your OEM tire size will be listed, they may be several sizes for a given year, check your tire placard on vehicle. To the right of the tire size, there are several buttons, the bottom is "Tire Decision Guide". Click and answer the questions, you will be given the appropriate tire suggestions. Pictures, customer reviews, and plenty of good info also avaliable there.

Some fast and loose rules;

Highway tread will tow better (stable) than all terrain tread.

Given OEM sizes, no respectable tire shop would install "D" tires if "E" is what came on the pickup. Unless it is a larger "D" tire with equal load capacity.

Most 1/2 tons come with "P" tires, which is fine. If you're looking for more stability when towing, a "LT" range "C" tire is sufficient. "E" range tires cost more, are heavier, and it is unlikely the wheels are rated for 80 psi anyway.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Aug. 25, 2011, 09:56 AM
Tire Boy, here is the info:

2005 Ford Expedition 4x4 XLT (pretty sure it weighs more than an F150)

P265/70R17

Daily work vehicle.
Tows up to 5,500lbs 1-2x a month at most. Still this is my greatest safety concern.

Driven on roads in all seasons (we do get snow and rain and I'm not willing to do a separate set of snow tires).

Very rarely off-road

If they could look nice too that would be great. This vehicle was tricked out a bit by its past owner (a mechanic)....I'd hate to put ugly shoes on the prom queen. ;)

TIA!!!!

p.s. 2bee I tried your site, but it gave me a ton of choices, but I can't figure out which they are (i.e. LT, C, etc.--all the stuff you mention in your post). I also don't know what that means...just that E's are very heavy duty ply...
They should ask you if you will tow and then give you less options! It looks like this is very highly ranked and reasonably priced:

Firestone Destination LE

But does it meet the towing needs?

tasia
Aug. 25, 2011, 10:20 AM
Tire Boy, here is the info:

2005 Ford Expedition 4x4 XLT (pretty sure it weighs more than an F150)

P265/70R17

Daily work vehicle.
Tows up to 5,500lbs 1-2x a month at most. Still this is my greatest safety concer!

We tow too, so we totally get it. I'll ask him when he gets home.

mvp
Aug. 26, 2011, 12:38 PM
Tire Rack give you good education and place to start. It doesn't have all brands..... like the Toyo Open County A/T (All Terrain).

Toyos have a siping pattern that includes some channels that run along the circumference of the pattern. Really good for moving water and snow (maybe wet mud?) out of the tire's treads.

As far as I can tell, they are really the tires in the Load E, All Terrain range that do this.

Do you Toyo people love yours? I think I have seen some say so.

IFG
Aug. 26, 2011, 03:40 PM
Had the Toyos on our F250 when we bought it. Hated them! Incredibly rough ride. Love the Michelin A/T's.