PDA

View Full Version : what length stirrup leathers??

reay6790
Aug. 16, 2011, 12:08 PM
I am ordering some custom gary mundy stirrup leathers for my custom saddlery dressage saddle, but i have no idea what length to get. I am 5'7'' but have long legs (however i am riding a large pony so legs cant be as long as they should. What do most people ride in, 54 or 60''?

pryme_thyme
Aug. 16, 2011, 12:59 PM
I ride in 54" but I do also have 48" for my CC saddle, (still ride hunters too).

I am 5' 4", I would say get the 60", you can always keep the clip up higher and tuck the leathers if need be but you cannot add leather.

merrygoround
Aug. 16, 2011, 01:02 PM
Nothing more infuriating than to want to drop a hole, and having no possibility of it because the leathers are too short. :cry:

cadance
Aug. 18, 2011, 02:16 AM
i'm 5'6" and have 160cm (63") leathers...it leaves the perfect amount of leather to run through the loop. you should definitely go with the 60"!

paintlady
Aug. 18, 2011, 09:04 AM
I'm 5'8" and ride a 15.1 hh mare. My leathers are 63" since I like having enough leather to tuck into the keepers. I'd definitely go for the 60" if I were you.

Char
Aug. 18, 2011, 09:11 AM
Nothing more infuriating than to want to drop a hole, and having no possibility of it because the leathers are too short. :cry:

Sorry, but this is so funny to me - being 5'3" and all torso, I always have the OPPOSITE problem! Constantly in search of my leather hole punch to take them up another notch! :lol:

Galadriël Fëfalas
Aug. 18, 2011, 02:07 PM
I have a 36" inseam and my leathers are 58" long, they are just the right length for me, plenty room to let them down for dressage or haul them up for cross country! :cool:

charismaryllis
Aug. 18, 2011, 02:12 PM
at the risk of me-tooing, go for the 60" (and i say that as a 63" tall woman. i just had visions of an instructor (all of whom are taller than I--well, *everybody's* taller than I... ;) ) having to get on my horse and not being able to drop the stirrups sufficiently because the leathers weren't long enough).

CatPS
Aug. 18, 2011, 04:30 PM
Sorry, but this is so funny to me - being 5'3" and all torso, I always have the OPPOSITE problem! Constantly in search of my leather hole punch to take them up another notch! :lol:

Same story here! And then those loooooooong ends flapping around past the keepers drives me nuts!