PDA

View Full Version : Another note to self:

MizzouMom
Aug. 16, 2011, 10:20 AM
...don't kiss muzzles of horses that graze in poison ivy-infested pastures.

ChocoMare
Aug. 16, 2011, 10:25 AM
Ack! :o

If you're on FaceBook, share that one on the Learn From My Horsie Fail page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/172573336130319/

:yes:

mvp
Aug. 16, 2011, 12:02 PM
...don't kiss muzzles of horses that graze in poison ivy-infested pastures.

Oh, duuude.

From a male college buddy of mine:

If you decide to take a piss out in nature... while on the frat-sponsored canoe trip/party....and it revolves around drinking beer and dropping acid....you might want to do some "hands free" peeing.

Not once, but twice, this dude mixed hands, dick, acid and poison oak in an unfortunate combination.

jawa
Aug. 16, 2011, 01:12 PM
Husband was around 8 years old out deer hunting. He got bored, so decided to whittle on a vine (insert poison ivy) and then decided to use it as a toothpick and then he had to go pee.

Lots of body parts affected!!!

He can identify poison ivy from 1,000 yds.

MizzouMom
Aug. 16, 2011, 03:09 PM
Hearing those stories is making me itch even more!

I'm not on Facebook, actually, because I'm a confirmed Luddite who thinks screens are destroying civilization as we know it. Said the woman who is happily looking at a screen...

The sunscreen gave some protection and it was more of a European-style kiss, so it's a cheek and forearm issue, thank heaven, and does not involve dropping trou and the horror that can follow from that!

D Taylor
Aug. 16, 2011, 03:17 PM
Oh dear....

One of the reasons I keep Tecnu in the shower and use to frequently! Not to mention I carry it in my line gear when on fire assignment.

For your arsenal of future pioson ivy/poison oak management...

http://www.teclabsinc.com/store/poison-oak-ivy/tecnu

Most drug stores and even Walmart generally carries it now.

MizzouMom
Aug. 16, 2011, 03:39 PM
If it had crossed my mind that there was PI over there I would have just washed off right away and probably been okay, they say that water neutralizes it if you get to it quickly enough.

Always glad to hear about remedies - thanks!

rmh_rider
Aug. 16, 2011, 04:44 PM
Note: do not listen to the belly/gut of a horse who may be colicking with your ear to a horse who lives in a pi infested pasture.

Note: do not then kiss a horse on his muzzle who may be colicking in a pasture of a horse who lives in a pi infested pasture.

Been there done that got a shot in the a$$, predisone dose pack, and very very strong hydrozine.

Forgive me for the drugs misspellings. I am a muggle in the medical world. I do accounting, not medical lingo. But I do my homework and research.

Note: you may not be allergic today, but you may tomorrow.

Note: MANGO has urushiol, same oil the pi has. And yes it does. And please, PLEASE, do not handle da mango then touch stuff in the grocery store. Ohhhhh, you notta allergic to da mango(or urushiol). Well just go to the grocery and rub a mango very well all over your neck. No washa till tomorrow. Din you seea. No toucha da mango. Although I love Mango the character on SNL. And he means it: no toucha da mango!

Note: pi=poison ivy, et al.

Know thy enemy. Chanting, leaves of three, leave it be. Say it with me: leaves of three, leave it be.

You may not be allergic today, but there is a tomorrow.

The Self Proclaimed: Offical PI Queen of Knowledge. rmh_rider

(chanting silently in fear: leaves of three, leave it be, leaves of three, leave it be)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urushiol

http://www.poison-ivy.org/

Anguissette
Aug. 16, 2011, 04:54 PM
Oh this is super important information! Thanks for passing it along! Now I know why that one mare who hates me keeps asking for kisses!

subk
Aug. 16, 2011, 08:06 PM
Ginko trees/wood also have trace amounts of urushiol too. Generally not a problem unless you buy really cheap wooden jewelry that happens to be made of ginko wood then wear it so it rubs against your skin for hours on end. Don't ask me how I know this!

Mineral spirits are as effective as Tecnu--which is just a solvent for the oil--in getting the oil off after exposure. Cheaper and easier to find. A trick known by plen air artists! Use it even if it's been a couple days since exposure...

sahara511
Aug. 17, 2011, 12:52 PM
Years ago at a horseshow, in the middle of the hot steamy NJ summer, heading into the model with my large pony (who tended to win the models) someone handed me some leaves to use to get his ears forward when the judge came by.
Next morning I woke up to swollen-shut eyes and PI ALLLLLL over my face/necks. Off to the doctors for a cortisone shot in the ass.

2DogsFarm
Aug. 17, 2011, 02:55 PM
OK, all you PI Experts:

Is there a form that looks like grapevine leaves?
I'm talking dolmades-like leaves.

My NuttyNeighbor warned me of this growing in my ditch.
I dutifully sprayed the bejesus out of it with RoundUp, and it died.
But her batting average on Nature Lore is 50/50 - sometimes right on the money, other times off into the Blue Yonder.
Which side is the grape leave stuff on?

HPFarmette
Aug. 17, 2011, 04:01 PM
Wild grape leaves are different from poison ivy leaves but they often occupy the same areas. I have both wild grapes and poison ivy climbing up my pine trees. Lovingly twined together.

MizzouMom
Aug. 17, 2011, 05:12 PM
So Sahara, was this do-gooder with the branch of leaves one of your competititors? That would be purely evil...

Don't know much about grapevines, but it is true that more mature PI plants will grow up trees and twine like grapes. PI leaves are also a dead ringer for the immature 5-leaf Virginia Creeper, which will have 2-3 leaves, and you almost have to confirm that there are 5 leaves elsewhere on a vine to be sure it's NOT PI.

jawa
Aug. 17, 2011, 06:07 PM
A mature PI vine growing up a tree will be "hairy". A mature grape vine is "clean shaven".:cool:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/Plants/Virginia%2520Creeper/parqui02.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/virginia_creeper.htm&h=393&w=500&sz=60&tbnid=N0qcvIN0rqSHJM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=115&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dvirginia%2Bcreeper%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo %3Du&zoom=1&q=virginia+creeper&docid=HP--CjwORwXY_M&sa=X&ei=1SZMTtHWMdDpgQeUjrFz&ved=0CE0Q9QEwBw&dur=507

If you look closely, you can see the "hair like" projections on the main vine.

My mother had a dog that went through some PI and then slept in the crook of her legs. Guess who had the WORST case of PI!!

MizzouMom
Aug. 17, 2011, 06:42 PM
Jawa, they say laughter is the best medicine, and oh! your poor Mom but I haven't laughed like this in a while...

Doberpei
Aug. 17, 2011, 07:02 PM
I feel your pain - just got over a nasty case of it all over my face and neck. If I knew my dog had run through it, I would have washed with Tecnu, alas, I spent two weeks frightening small children, and making polite adults look away in horror.

lovey1121
Aug. 17, 2011, 07:27 PM
Note: do not listen to the belly/gut of a horse who may be colicking with your ear to a horse who lives in a pi infested pasture.

Note: do not then kiss a horse on his muzzle who may be colicking in a pasture of a horse who lives in a pi infested pasture.

Been there done that got a shot in the a$$, predisone dose pack, and very very strong hydrozine.

Forgive me for the drugs misspellings. I am a muggle in the medical world. I do accounting, not medical lingo. But I do my homework and research.

Note: you may not be allergic today, but you may tomorrow.

Note: MANGO has urushiol, same oil the pi has. And yes it does. And please, PLEASE, do not handle da mango then touch stuff in the grocery store. Ohhhhh, you notta allergic to da mango(or urushiol). Well just go to the grocery and rub a mango very well all over your neck. No washa till tomorrow. Din you seea. No toucha da mango. Although I love Mango the character on SNL. And he means it: no toucha da mango!

Note: pi=poison ivy, et al.

Know thy enemy. Chanting, leaves of three, leave it be. Say it with me: leaves of three, leave it be.

You may not be allergic today, but there is a tomorrow.

The Self Proclaimed: Offical PI Queen of Knowledge. rmh_rider

(chanting silently in fear: leaves of three, leave it be, leaves of three, leave it be)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urushiol

http://www.poison-ivy.org/

LMAO!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

subk
Aug. 17, 2011, 08:01 PM
My husband used to get it from his dog when he was a boy. Only they hadn't figured that out yet. His parents kept showing him pictures of it and pointing it out to him. After is millionth bout of it his dad looked and him and asked, "Son, are you stupid?!"

Donkaloosa
Aug. 17, 2011, 08:16 PM
Many years ago, I worked as a summer camp counselor. During boys' season one year, on an overnight camp-out, one unfortunate child used poison ivy as toilet paper. EVERYONE in the camp knew who it was by the next day (word gets around fast with a staff of about 60 and a couple hundred kids). Knock on wood, I've been immune to it for 55 years and I hope I stay that way!

CVPeg
Aug. 18, 2011, 07:02 AM
Am scratching while I read all this. Planted mums last night & moved some stuff around, but I think it's just from bug bites I got last night... And hopefully not that dang wild parsnip again - I didn't go near it - I swear. :eek:

These stories, however are killers.:lol:

KSAQHA
Aug. 18, 2011, 10:57 AM
As someone highly allergic to PI, having been through rounds of shots (and WHY in the arse??) and prednisone packs on more than one occasion, I'm extremely vigilant for PI. However, several weeks ago, as I was trimming back wild grapevines on a fenceline, I pulled a few 'weeds' underneath...all the while watching for PI. Unfortunately, I was hoodwinked by this monster...

http://poisonoak-id.com/inShade14/inShade2.html

...and viola - rash all over my arms and legs. Back to the doctor for meds...although, I did refuse the shot, as it never seems to work.

Hmmm, that leaves poison sumac to experience...must learn to ID.

rmh_rider
Aug. 18, 2011, 09:07 PM
Oh KSAQHA the doctor won't give a big oh steriod shot in my arm. Has to be in the beeehind. Oh they sting. But it soooo helps. I am to the point my pi will go systemic. IOW it will be on my arm and x amount of time goes by and it is on my neck or arm etc. I will spray with round up, or in a pinch pour straight round up on it. I never forget where it is, and will go back and make sure it is dead or dying.

I find tecnu doesn't really work unless you have caught the rash/contact dermiatis within 2 hours. That stuff made my skin hypersensitive. Not sure which is worse the pi or hypersensitive skin. You can use Dawn on your skin but all has to be used within 2 hours of exposure.

Yes, redbud has some evil urushiol in it too.

There are some cute sayings on wikipedia. Click on the link then, scroll down to "aids to identification".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_ivy

Pi can look many different ways. Healthy, sick, too much sun, not enough water, never eaten on by bugs, perfect sun and water and shade, use caution.

Chant with me: leaves of three, leave it be. Yes, again, leaves of three leave it be.

No toucha da mango. Don't feed it to me either. No mango surprise please. Used to taste like pine sap, now it tastes like metal to me. I never ever ever eat it.

tabula rashah
Aug. 19, 2011, 09:48 AM
One time when I was a kid, a friend and I decided to make a fort between some boulders out in her field with all these lovely vines. We were having a grand ole time, built the fort, were hiding out in it, made a nice bottom for the fort out of the vines/leaves. My dad comes out to find out what we were so busy doing and is like "you idiots just built a fort out of poison ivy!"
Somehow I am not allergic to it, but my poor friend......

wireweiners
Aug. 19, 2011, 01:42 PM
My parents had just moved into their new house with a wood burning fireplace. My dad had chopped wood from the wood lot on the farm. He isn't allergic to PI and didn't notice the dried vines on the firewood. My mother was lying on the couch admiring the flames in the new fireplace. She is allergic. The next day, OMG! Then there was the time Dad decided old cross ties would be good firewood. He thought the creosote would have been leached out of them. Nearly killed us all!

MizzouMom
Aug. 20, 2011, 06:43 PM
Day 6 of PI hell. The original outbreak is spreading, like the plot of a bad sci fi movie...

IFG
Aug. 20, 2011, 10:51 PM
Husband swears by Burts Bees Poison Ivy Soap. Hope it helps.

tikihorse2
Aug. 20, 2011, 11:15 PM
Hmmm, that leaves poison sumac to experience...must learn to ID.

You don't want to experience it. Believe me. I got it at a picnic once. :no:

Here is a page on identifying it. (http://dnr.wi.gov/forestry/TreeID/TreePgs/toxicodendronvernix.htm)

More pictures. (http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/tove.html)

KSAQHA
Aug. 21, 2011, 11:19 AM
tikihorse2 - thanks for the links...that stuff looks scarily familiar. :eek:

MissouMom - Day 6? Best get thee to the doctor. Sounds like it's gone systemic...and you will find NO relief from the sheer itching torture without meds!

Just THINKING about PI makes me nervous.

MizzouMom
Aug. 21, 2011, 07:59 PM
KS, you are probably right - I had a bad case once before on my arm, the doc gave me oral steroids, which cranked up the excessive yeast I was harboring in my system, resulting in an incredibly itchy rash all over my torso.

Finally got a dx from a doc who said I was feeding the yeast with my sugary diet, which inspired me to quit the decades-long soda habit, which resulted in weight loss. Until I fell off the wagon again, just like an alcoholic.

The original areas are better, but the stuff seems to travel a ways before it finally peters out. So far the hot water treatment is working along with Caladryl and cortisone cream. After the last experience and other horror stories about oral steroids, I can't bring myself to do that again.