PDA

View Full Version : Dressage novel "Dressage Chronicles"

staceyk
Aug. 15, 2011, 08:05 PM
Well, I read it and loved it (see http://www.behindthebitblog.com/2011/08/dressage-chronicles-dressage-novel-with.html).

I'm interested in other opinions -- who else has read it? Are there other good equestrian, or dressage novels out there that I'm missing? While I have a place in my heart for the Dressage mystery novels by Carolyn Banks, mysteries aren't my thing.

dotneko
Aug. 15, 2011, 08:26 PM
Haven't read it (and probably won't), but wanted
to ask if the snippet on the schoolmaster was
quoted correctly? To count the sequence changes,
its One - two - three, Two - TWO - three, Three - TWO
three, Four - two - three etc. Just was curious if you
misquoted or she miswrote or I misinterpreted what
was happening.

staceyk
Aug. 15, 2011, 08:38 PM
My error (early morning writing), now corrected -- thanks!

DownYonder
Aug. 17, 2011, 03:28 PM
I picked up a copy at the Alpharetta GA book signing and finished reading it last night. It was a fun little book for summer reading. The author is definitely not a poser - she knows horses and dressage world pretty well.

poltroon
Aug. 17, 2011, 03:40 PM
For more reading, try the database at ponydom.com:

http://www.ponydom.com/books/index.html

There are indeed many dressage-specific novels, and you can search for them by discipline. "The Gift" by Kirk Douglas is one that comes to mind, as does "Horseplay" by our own BeamMeUp, Judy Reene Singer.

esdressage
Aug. 17, 2011, 04:09 PM
It's not about dressage, but it involves horses and I liked it a lot:

Dark Horse by Tami Hoag

GreyDes
Aug. 17, 2011, 05:21 PM
I liked the book (downloaded it on Kindle last weekend...) but almost didn't buy it because the description was so poorly written. Thank goodness for sample chapters!

I thought it was a fun read - anyone know if there's anything else from the author?

lovey1121
Aug. 17, 2011, 05:26 PM
Haven't read it (and probably won't), but wanted
to ask if the snippet on the schoolmaster was
quoted correctly? To count the sequence changes,
its One - two - three, Two - TWO - three, Three - TWO
three, Four - two - three etc. Just was curious if you
misquoted or she miswrote or I misinterpreted what
was happening.

That's the way to count tempi changes-makes it easier to remember what you're doing!

staceyk
Aug. 18, 2011, 01:31 PM
I was also not that keen on the description, and the first page of the novel was a little misleading. It seems like the publicity is designed to appeal to young women/teens while the novel itself is so much more mature than it's made out to be. My goodness, the dressage community is so skewed to women thirty and up, I can't imagine why the book was marketed that way, except that maybe the publisher sees all horse-themed books as appealing to the younger market. Missed the boat there.

dotneko
Aug. 18, 2011, 04:58 PM
Yes - lovey1121, that is the way to count them.
The OP misquoted (since, corrected) how
the character in the story was counting them
One,two three, two, THREE, three, three, THREE
three - definitely not the way to count them.
That kind of stuff just annoys the heck out of me.

spook1
Aug. 19, 2011, 08:03 AM
Hi
I am not a expert on book reviews but I lOVE to read on my new toy (IPAD) and have read about 6 books now.
I REALLY enjoyed this book! This is what I like to read Horsey type books that are kinda real about the sport or just life with horses.