PDA

View Full Version : Note to self: turn off mower in dusty paddock!

Calvincrowe
Aug. 15, 2011, 08:54 PM
My eyes! My eyes! :lol:

I was just out in the back field, mowing off the weeds, and came whipping back up to the barn--and into the sacrifice paddock. Didn't think to disengage the mid-mount finish mower I was using and as I crossed the dusty "path" area between gate and gravel--whoosh!! I was enveloped in a dust-storm worthy cloud of fine dirt and (I'm sure) dried poo. Gack! I can taste it! My dear SO laughed at me when I came in--I have raccoon eyes and trails of tears running thru the caked on dust mask I'm wearing. You should have seen the horses startle when the orange tractor disappeared! I think they located me by the swearing, hacking and coughing I was engaged in.

Oy. Must start thinking while mowing!

katiehorse
Aug. 15, 2011, 09:03 PM
Homemade tornado! :cool:

fordtraktor
Aug. 15, 2011, 10:45 PM
Hahahaha. I mow my fields with a finish mower sometimes and wear safety goggles for those bare spots with a few tall weeds I just have to mow too. I look a fright but at least I can see!

ReSomething
Aug. 15, 2011, 11:02 PM
Be glad you didn't pick up some rocks and sling them! DH cut a corner too close with the finish mower and picked up a largish rock along with all the dirt - next thing I heard was THWACK! and saw the rock punch a hole in the concrete block foundation. Now I stay a goodly distance away!

MunchkinsMom
Aug. 15, 2011, 11:46 PM
Tis the season. I just had to mow the lawn because my husband burnt out a bearing in the mowing deck on his lawn tractor. I actually shut off the mower when I get to the dirt spots where the dogs have killed the grass, I hate that dust cloud!

And it is always a challenge to mow in a pattern keeping the wind direction in mind so that it is not blowing back onto me as I mow.

Calvincrowe
Aug. 16, 2011, 01:25 AM
Oh, and the wind was blowing today, so the hidden shavings/sawdust/powdered pee stinky yuck stuck to the FEL bucket kept blowing back on me when I had to raise said bucket at the end of each row to miss the fence. I was a fright, I tell you, a fright! I wear ear protection and I have to wear my glasses--I'm not sure how I could get goggles on with all that mess.

My eyes are still gunky and burning. I'm sure I'll have amazing eye boogers in the morning.

MunchkinsMom
Aug. 16, 2011, 03:23 AM
I highly recommend having some eye wash in the house (which reminds me to add it to my list for my next trip to CVS). It really does help. I also got some of those butt-ugly sunglasses that fit over regular glasses, that have thick sides, they do help a bit to keep the crap out of your eyes.

Frank B
Aug. 16, 2011, 09:04 AM
--I'm not sure how I could get goggles on with all that mess...
They make ventilated goggles to fit over glasses (http://www.lowes.com/pd_162469-98-93005-80025_0__?productId=3086637&Ntt=safety+goggles&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dsafety%2Bgoggles%26 page%3D1&facetInfo=). Check with your local contractor supply house. They also offer non-ventilated ones for use around chemicals, but sweating can be a problem.

Belg
Aug. 16, 2011, 09:30 AM
They make ventilated goggles to fit over glasses (http://www.lowes.com/pd_162469-98-93005-80025_0__?productId=3086637&Ntt=safety+goggles&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dsafety%2Bgoggles%26 page%3D1&facetInfo=). Check with your local contractor supply house. They also offer non-ventilated ones for use around chemicals, but sweating can be a problem.

I ended up with a cheap dirt bike mask over my sunglasses. Keeps the vast, vast majority of stuff out of my eyes when mowing.

With respects to the dust cloud? (Insert Clint Eastwood western whistle; type A)

It works better than sunscreen :=)

Calvincrowe
Aug. 16, 2011, 11:12 AM
Great ideas! And, Belg, I looked so amazingly tan when I came in! At first, because my mind was clearly fogged by dust, I thought I'd gotten a lot of sun. Uh..no...it was caked on barnyard dust.:lol: Not exactly the newest in "self-tanners" sadly.

Eggplant_Dressing
Aug. 16, 2011, 06:02 PM
We've had a lot of raccoon eye moments around our barn this summer too.

A large dust devil came through and we had our eyes on the horses running to avoid it when next thing you know, it hits the parking area and almost every car and truck had their windows partially rolled down.

What a mess of dust, hay, and who knows what landed in everyone's vehicle.