PDA

View Full Version : Hanging Nibblenets

fordtraktor
Aug. 15, 2011, 04:36 PM
I love my NibbleNets and am pondering the best way to hang them in my new run-in shelter. I can't loop them over the fence the way I do outside, and my mechanism of looping twine around the rafter/support post bracing seems, um, temporary and not that gorgeous. Plus a short person, i.e. my horsesitter, would probably have a hard time reaching it and I want to make things easy for her as she is wonderful.

What sort of anchor can support that kind of tugging? What kind of screws to use to put in a support like that? What sort of hardware is that heavy-duty, and where can I get it? My TSC's hardware looks too flimsy.

Sonesta
Aug. 15, 2011, 05:10 PM
I put in some heavy eyebolts. The kind you'd use for cross ties.

One on top to run the strap through and two on bottom to attach with the clips.

fordtraktor
Aug. 15, 2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks Sonesta. I need to find bigger eyebolts, haven't seen any the snaps would fit through easily. I was thinking a U shaped crosstie anchor would work I just can't find the ones I am picturing in my head.

UrbanHennery
Aug. 16, 2011, 12:55 AM
I hung mine around posts in the stalls, but outside I sunk large eye bolts like Sonesta suggested and then used anchor shackles (http://www.tractorsupply.com/home-improvement/hardware/chain-rope-accessories/other-chain-rope-accessories/1-frasl-2-in-anchor-shackle-with-screw-pin-3522190) through them to hang the strap at the top, just plain eye bolts for the bottom corners.

carolprudm
Aug. 16, 2011, 08:46 AM
I went to Lowe's and got "hitching rings" They are 3 inch rings mounted into screw eyes. I only use the top hangers.

Miss Money Pit HATES hers...no loose hay to scatter and pee and poop on

deltawave
Aug. 16, 2011, 11:03 PM
I move the Nibblenets around Keebler's stall to give him a little variety (poor horse has been on stall rest forever) and also to keep the new horse from sticking his head in the Dutch door and poaching hay!

So I have several methods to hang them--best and easiest is a big screw eye about 6 feet up on (which I also use to tie horses) on the wall and I bought a VERY large brass snap with a large eye that goes on each Nibblenet strap. I got them at the feed store, but I know hardware stores have them. This is quick and easy.

I also sometimes hang one off one of those metal hooks that goes way up at the top of my stall wall (about 8 feet up) but that makes the Nibblenet hang higher than I like so I have about a foot long bungee cord that hangs off that, and clip the Nibblenet to the bungee cord.

And finally I have hung them from the mesh screen that acts as my stall divider, but this material is not really strong enough to hold up to doing this routinely so this is my least favorite option.

I would buy 3/8" screw eyes, drill a little pilot hole and screw those in, then find big single snaps with a large eye to thread the Nibblenet strap through.