PDA

View Full Version : For my birthday, my horse gave me...

netg
Aug. 15, 2011, 02:21 PM
...contact!!!!

He's a reformed curler. And I thought we'd always have extremely light, barely-there contact for most of our work. The only time we are likely to have decent contact is collected canter and BIG trot.

Well, today, I got on and something was...different. Because I rode a couple of horses belonging to a friend who have different histories and real contact yesterday I didn't realize what it was that was weird at first. Then I realized - from the start, even on a stretchy walk, he was reaching for contact. Real, foamy mouthed, will open his throatlatch and reach out as much as the reins let him, contact.

I'm sure the recent chiropractic session had something to do with this, as well as the fact we've gotten good contact for harder work. But it sure made me smile that it all came together for my birthday ride. :)

esdressage
Aug. 15, 2011, 02:25 PM
Congrats to you and your horse… and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! :)

Oberon13
Aug. 15, 2011, 03:51 PM
Happy birthday!!! What a good pony....congrats on finding that contact!

Tuesday's Child
Aug. 15, 2011, 05:24 PM
Happy birthday!! Must be something in the air today... my birthday ride on Saturday was decent, but today my mare did flying changes for the first time! I was so proud :)

netg
Aug. 30, 2011, 11:48 AM
After a back injury, I was finally allowed to ride again today.

The contact was still there!

My trainer has ridden him 3 or 4 times over the last two weeks, and I've been longeing him. He was recovering from various play injuries to himself mostly consisting of muscle pulls along his right hamstring, and is doing WELL now. He felt as strong as he did prior to injuries, but with more throughness and impulsion, as well as good contact from the time I got on. I now have more mobility in my back than I knew people were supposed to, as I hadn't had any there in my adult life. It'll be a while before I can really, properly, sit and ask him for downwards, but he was doing lovely canter-halt transitions for me despite my shortcomings. What a good boy!

I texted my trainer to ask her when she put springs on his hooves. :lol:

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 30, 2011, 04:14 PM
:):):)