PDA

View Full Version : Monday fun....POPCORN

europa
Aug. 15, 2011, 12:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuBCyXt4KcM&feature=related

carolprudm
Aug. 15, 2011, 12:50 PM
Well she does say inside rein to outside leg.......

alicen
Aug. 15, 2011, 01:09 PM
Where's the canter part? That's 4 beat with negative DAP.

mzm farm
Aug. 15, 2011, 01:10 PM
Aside from riding issues, I just find the description of the video interesting:
"...expert explains how to steer a horse at a canter...

Expert: Kelli LaBar
Bio: Kelli LaBar is a practicing aesthetician and makeup artist in Wilmington, N.C."

Truly a horse training guru.

caffeinated
Aug. 15, 2011, 01:24 PM
Well she's better than Sarah Stetner was...

Bugs-n-Frodo
Aug. 15, 2011, 01:50 PM

:yes:

Not that it would be difficult to be better than Sarah.

ChocoMare
Aug. 15, 2011, 01:52 PM
And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is a Tranter. :winkgrin:

Thank you.... thank you very much

:lol: :lol: :lol:

moonriverfarm
Aug. 15, 2011, 01:56 PM
Geez - at the beginning of their retraining all my ex racehorses tranter!!! :winkgrin:

johnnysauntie
Aug. 15, 2011, 02:00 PM
Is the next movement after Tranter a somersault? Because that's what the mare looks like she's preparing to execute.

I'm going to go look for tranter-somersault transitions.

reefy!
Aug. 15, 2011, 02:02 PM
I personally liked the comments: "That is a counter canter". :confused:

A tranter is a counter canter. I learned something new today! :lol:

caffeinated
Aug. 15, 2011, 02:03 PM
I personally liked the comments: "That is a counter canter". :confused:

A tranter is a counter canter. I learned something new today! :lol:

The best is that that person is REALLY adamant. "THAT IS A COUNTER CANTER YOU DUMB PEOPLE!!!!!" It's not just on that video, I watched two other ones, and he says the same thing on all the comment sections :lol:

I really want to say "you keep on saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." but I'm not signed in and can't remember my login stuff. heh.

ChocoMare
Aug. 15, 2011, 02:12 PM
I really want to say "you keep on saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." but I'm not signed in and can't remember my login stuff. heh.

Inconceivable! :o

:lol: :lol: :lol:

WILLOW&CAL
Aug. 15, 2011, 02:31 PM
Is the next movement after Tranter a somersault? Because that's what the mare looks like she's preparing to execute.

Besides that attrocious video, that is the funniest thing I read all week:lol:

atr
Aug. 15, 2011, 02:42 PM

A truly ringing endorsement!

UST
Aug. 15, 2011, 02:48 PM
Wellkam to the Pleasure World!!:D

HPFarmette
Aug. 15, 2011, 02:54 PM
In all seriousness, can someone explain to me, what is the reasoning behind the "headset"? I hate seeing it, but do they have some reason they believe it's a good thing?

Velvet
Aug. 15, 2011, 03:03 PM
*shudder* And the hands pulling back when not up in her, er, bosom.

wcporter
Aug. 15, 2011, 03:09 PM
I'm not so convinced that's not Sarah Stetner...with a haircut some sunglasses and a few yrs of aging. Oh and a new identy of course... lol ::lol:

alibi_18
Aug. 15, 2011, 03:12 PM
She should keep her day job as an aesthetician and make up artist.

alicen
Aug. 15, 2011, 03:29 PM
Oh, I don't know. Questionable aesthetics, don't you think?

Oberon13
Aug. 15, 2011, 03:48 PM
Yeah...I'm not sure I'd trust her eye for beauty if this is any indication of her "aesthetics."

johnnysauntie, let us know how those tranter-somersault transitions go. :)

alicen
Aug. 15, 2011, 04:07 PM

If you try them at home, wear your helmut and faceguard.

merrygoround
Aug. 15, 2011, 04:15 PM
Gaak!!!!! :rolleyes:

netg
Aug. 15, 2011, 04:28 PM
In all seriousness, can someone explain to me, what is the reasoning behind the "headset"? I hate seeing it, but do they have some reason they believe it's a good thing?

Not that I could ever tell. I came from that world when the AQHA was very seriously pushing for poll at withers and you were supposed to be eliminated if ears dropped below withers. As far as we could tell, people saw the level poll as a sign of good training, and chose to take it more extreme - lower must mean better training! And it kept dropping. I assume that's what happened now, too.

The video reminded me of a trainer I know of in town who throws out terms she's heard but uses them incorrectly. In that trainer's case, the super low head and weird lope can sometimes disguise lameness, since all the horses move that way...

dwblover
Aug. 15, 2011, 05:01 PM
That video is hysterical! So all I have to do to "canter" my horse is push his hindquarters so far to the inside that he falls into a circle. Then all that is left to do is hold up his entire body weight with my inside rein which is of course at boob level. :lol::lol::lol:

Tuesday's Child
Aug. 15, 2011, 05:15 PM
My eyes hurt now.

I love at 0:42 when she says to keep your forward momentum going :lol:

TheHotSensitiveType
Aug. 15, 2011, 06:45 PM
OMG! Where to start... I really liked her "flying lead changes" where she was trantering on one lead, then trotted and then trantered on the other lead. I thought that was called a "simple change of lead." Also, she is riding western with a curb so you ride with one hand, not two, right?

That mare is an absolute saint and deserves a much better rider. The constant jabbing with the spurs, the constant fiddling with the bit, where does it end? My mares would dump her in no time flat with that kind of crap riding.

dudleyc
Aug. 15, 2011, 07:32 PM
this is dragonheart / reverand buck in drag

Schiffon
Aug. 15, 2011, 07:50 PM
Also, she is riding western with a curb so you ride with one hand, not two, right?

Should be. When I showed APHA in the late 70's, young western horses were ridden in snaffles and two hands with direct reining. When they understood that, you started laying the outside rein on the neck while using inside rein to TEACH them neck reining. Only after neck reining was confirmed did you switch to a curb bit. Just like with dressage, the curb was not to be used unilaterally for basic turning aids!

To not be too holier than thou though, I have to admit the snaffles we used were single or double twisted wire, with the idea of backing the horse off of contact with very light aids.

Emy
Aug. 16, 2011, 08:52 AM
Well, that was disturbing. My favourite part of wasting my time watching that video was seeing this youtube comment that made me choke on coffee:
"Expert? The village should be ashamed..."

ChocoMare
Aug. 16, 2011, 09:18 AM
Yup, the village lost their first idiot when we ran off Sarah Stetner. They found a replacement. :rolleyes:

partlycloudy
Aug. 16, 2011, 09:28 AM
Sadly, This is the sort of movement that was winning at the pinto show I was at Sunday. Even though 4 beat canters are supposed to be penalized, no one told the judges:no:

partlycloudy
Aug. 16, 2011, 09:28 AM
Oh, and jerking the crap out of mouths with a curb bit is also OK apparently

europa
Aug. 16, 2011, 11:08 AM
I have an overreactive type WB Gelding that I think needs to learn that lesson. I wonder if that EXPERT would care to oblige me and bring her bit and spurs! YEEHAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Darwin had it right....survival of the fittest and I can tell you in this match who will be KO'd