PDA

View Full Version : What shows in NC/SC/VA do you think are young horse friendly?

Castlegate
Aug. 14, 2011, 05:56 PM
Looking to start bringing my youngster along to guest at some shows..anyone have favorites for being a good atmosphere for the youngsters? I dont want to overwhelm him...

catosis
Aug. 14, 2011, 06:23 PM
I don't know how young horse friendly the Raleigh Capital Dressage Classic/CDI show would be for a young horse just because that show has traditionally been very large and also there is a ring right next to the road that can be a little spooky for some horses. Perhaps one of the lower key shows held at the Hunt Horse Complex would be good, such as Raliegh Summer Dressage and LOL.

Petstorejunkie
Aug. 14, 2011, 06:31 PM
If you don't care if its a schooling show, I love showing at WWW.macnairscountryacres.com. my horse used to WIG OUT when we went to hunter shows, but dressage shows in general he keeps his cool. At macnairs there's plenty of space to warm up. The uncovered arena can be boogedy because it is right by a lake, but after their first time trotting past they do fine.
There's also a very very low key show at www.fivecountystables.com on average there's 4 riders per class, and 600 acres to explore.

CatPS
Aug. 14, 2011, 06:35 PM
Another vote for MacNair's. It's a schooling show, but very professionally run. I used to LOVE showing there!

HenryisBlaisin'
Aug. 14, 2011, 06:41 PM
For schooling shows, I really like Lighten Up Dressage (http://www.lightenupdressage.com/) in Huntersville NC (Latta Plantation). They're low-key shows but the venue is nice and very welcoming towards everyone.

PiaffePlease
Aug. 14, 2011, 08:03 PM
MacNairs is great but it is usually pretty crowded, esp at the lower levels. I dont agree that there is alot of space to warm up. Its been a while since Ive ridden at the lower levels, but when I did, there were alot of people (7-10) in the warmup at the same time. I love showing there and it is well run. There are usually geese in the lake. Its not as scary as it seems, though.

Buckhorn Farm is a really low key place. Not a whole lot of people and lots of open space to warm up.

Labor of Love (LOL) show is usually a crowded show as is the CDC. Most of the rated shows are. If he is a young horse who needs experience, start out at a schooling show.

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Aug. 14, 2011, 11:54 PM
Pinehurst comes to mind for young horse friendly. With the whole infield to warm up on, you can always find space away from or near other horses, as needed.

I went to one of Kay's Summer Sizzler shows at CHP this summer, and it was fun and relaxing. One of the fenced rings was dedicated to longing, the other to mounted warmup. You could graze a spectating horse near the rings and warmup, which can be a reassuring activity. All the stalls are near enough to the rings to be an easy walk over to watch, too.

Just read somewhere that the NCDCTA show in Asheville has been quite small, but that NCDCTA is committed to keeping it going, so that might be worth looking into - I think it's one ring the last couple years.

kip
Aug. 15, 2011, 12:20 AM
I think any show that is help at the horse park in Williamston NC is great. There are plenty of places to lunge and to warm up that are away from the comotion.

I would stay far away from Raleigh.

Marydell
Aug. 15, 2011, 01:14 AM
Stay away fro Raaleigh as the whole venue itself is high energy.
Tryon and Lighten Up are the best I know of for good venues. Also the Carolina Horse Park near Pinehurst. You can hand walk your boy around, observe the arenas and have "quiet" schooling time if you want.

Rhiannonjk
Aug. 15, 2011, 10:46 AM
For schooling shows in the Raleigh area, I prefer Fenridge and Buckhorn to MacNairs. Those two only run one arena, and have more space for warmup. At Fenridge, the warmup is on grit next to the arena, and there are usually some sections of dressage fence between the warmup arena and the competition arena, so you can expose your horse to the little white fences before you actually go to do the test.

As for recognized shows, the Summer Mountain Getaway in Asheville was my youngster's first recognized competition, and it was great! The rides were all in the indoor arena, but the crowd was so small that there was very little "crowd noise" in the arena. Because of the low turnout they had both judges scroing one arena, so I came home with LOTS of feedback.

I haven't been to Williamston in a long time, but back around 2005 I loved the facilities.

If you want to introduce your horse to the Fairgrounds in Raleigh without the stress of the CDC or Labor of Love, there is a schooling series (Mane Event Dressage, I believe) held in the arena behind Barn E.

Schiffon
Aug. 15, 2011, 08:02 PM
For licensed shows in Virginia, the Meadow Event Park in Doswell (right off of 95). Definately not the Virginia Horse Center in Lexington - high energy, crowded, and having some rings on a big hill overlooking the rest of the complex is mind blowing for some youngsters whether looking up or looking down.