View Full Version : Need Coat Recommendations

Aug. 14, 2011, 09:54 AM
My husband declared yesterday that my current show coat is too hideous to be worn in public and that I had to have a new one. I knew it was hideous, but due to our tight budget I'd assumed getting a new one was out of the question... DH said if we are spending money on shows, I'm not going in a disgusting coat :D:D:D

So with my first show weekend on Aug 28 rapidly approaching, I am in the market for a new coat and I really need some recommendations! My requirements:
-absolutely must be no more than $200
-single vent in back
-pref. black, would consider a dark navy
-I like having a bit of stretch and must be reasonably cool/breathable
-quality & fit are more important to me than fancy detailing
---I'm petite (5'3") so many of the longer styles will be way too long on me

I am open to buying a "previously loved" coat, but I've got less than 2 weeks to get one. I will be going to Dover and SmartPak tomorrow to try some on, but I would REALLY like to hear some recommendations. And if you know of a good place to buy used (I'm in Massachusetts), please let me know.

Aug. 14, 2011, 10:15 AM
I can't help, but your husband is definitely a keeper. :)

Aug. 14, 2011, 02:34 PM
This is not a brand that is typically considered a "dressage brand" but I've tried on some of the R.J. Classics dressage coats and they fit me really really well. I am your height and narrow in the shoulders and it didn't make me look like I was wearing a suit from the 80's. Also, dressage coats by that brand are not nearly as expensive at the Pikeurs or Cavallos.

Aug. 14, 2011, 02:39 PM
Try the Horseman's Exchange in Littleton, MA. Lots of really nice reasonably priced used stuff. I just scored some nice breeches for my niece for $25.

Aug. 16, 2011, 02:25 AM
I really like the TuffRider ones. I have the Saratoga model, but I like it a lot. Its relatively light weight and has a bit of stretch to it.

Aug. 16, 2011, 01:15 PM
I have an RJ Classics coat that I have been wearing instead of my Pikeur! I don't know why, but I kinda like it better. It's light weight and fits me really well. The only thing I didn't like when I bought it was the big, shiny plastic buttons it came with, but I took those off and replaced them with some pretty silver ones I found at a fabric store. It's been a few years since I bought the coat, but it was around $150.

I think your plan to go try on coats is a good one though. I think any coat that fits well is going to look nicer on you than any coat that doesn't fit well. They all seem to be cut a little bit different, and some look beautiful on a hanger but not so good if they fit funny.

Aug. 16, 2011, 07:35 PM
I lucked out at SmartPak! Found an Equine Athletics coat in the clearance section... 25% off because it was missing ONE BUTTON!!! I'm so thrilled I was able to get a much nicer coat that I thought I would possibly be able to afford. That was one expensive button for SP!

Sonoma City
Aug. 17, 2011, 09:38 AM
Good husband :) I got a Pikeur Epsom washable coat at a german online tack store for under $200 (including shipping). I think I ordered from Calevo.com, but there are a bunch of sites and just look for sales. The RJ Classics coats are also very nice, as others have mentioned. I forget which model it is, but one of them comes in a really nice light wool blend. Depending on the model they can be pricey, but you can sometimes find the nicer model on sale for under $200. Also check out ebay, I got a brand new navy grand prix hunt coat on there for $100 last year!

Aug. 19, 2011, 08:51 PM
I would try the Elite dressage coats. They fit really well and are made of a very nice light weight wool. I think they are around $250.00. But you may be able to find one on sale?
What a great husband! :)

Aug. 19, 2011, 09:21 PM
Check out Smartpak. I bought a nice coat with a velvet collar and piping for under 100. It came in black, navy or dark gray. Washable. Runs small.