PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Question

irideponyhunters
Aug. 13, 2011, 09:14 PM
So I outgrew and stopped showing my large pony mare about a year ago and we are going to keep her forever through her retirement. My mom has decided she wants to start trail riding her and i was curious what a nice saddle would be for her. Her budget is up to 2k. I personally would ride in my Pessoas, but thats because thats what im comfortable in. She has only ever ridden a horse a couple times and when she did she was in a trail saddle. But i researched buying trail saddles and i think all the 25, 26, 27 lbs and so on are too heavy for my little mares back plus my moms weight. What type of saddle do you suggest we put her in?

PRS
Aug. 14, 2011, 10:51 AM
The lightest saddles out there are treeless (around 10 pounds with saddle and pad). I'm going to assume that since your mare is a "large pony" that length might be an issue too. The Sensation line of treeless saddle are great for short backed, low to mid withers horses. My Sensation Hybrid is the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden in. My horses love them too. These are real saddles, not just glorified bareback pads. Much thought went in to the designs of these saddles. The technological advances in foams and other materials make these saddles possible today when they weren't possible even 15years ago. The leathers they use are beautiful and luxurious too. Sensation makes different models including dressage, AP English, English jump, western and hybrid models. http://www.freedomtreeless.com/Saddles.html You can demo for free....just pay shipping. I demoed and purchased mine from Melissa at www.freedomtreeless.com

candyappy
Aug. 15, 2011, 03:24 PM
I would try an abetta endurance on her. They are light weight and the back/ skirt is rounded so length should not be a problem. If your mom hasn't ridden much I don't know if a treeless would be the best way to go. I have never ridden in a treeless, but it may not be as stable as she would need. Abetta's are well made and won't be near your 2k mark.

cloudy18
Aug. 15, 2011, 09:37 PM
Can you find something in a nearby tack store to try out? If you need lightweight and want to go with a trail saddle, your best bets are the synthetic or treeless. Search for synthetic or cordura saddles on here and you will find all kinds of opinions on the various brands. (Stay away from Western Wintecs though. They have a bad reputation.) Or would she be okay in a deeper seated English saddle? It all depends on what she is comfortable in and what fits the pony.

yellow-horse
Aug. 17, 2011, 08:55 PM
i have an abetta for my 14h short back no withers mustang works well very lightweight