PDA

View Full Version : Dressage mirrors: glass, plexi or steel?

andy825
Aug. 13, 2011, 06:03 PM
I'm looking to install some outdoor mirrors in SoCal. They will be alongside an outdoor arena, freestanding. The dressage court is inside the arena fence, and the mirrors will be outside of the arena. I have a welder lined up to do the framing, but I am stuck on what material to use. Plexi seems safe and cheap, but I hear that it warps like crazy and isn't any good.
We're worried about safety with real glass, and mirror-polished steel is both expensive and heavy.
Does anyone have plexi mirrors that they like?
If you have steel, is it good? What thickness did you use?
Do we need to be worried about glass, or is it really not an issue?

Thanks so much for your replies.

Classical DQ
Aug. 14, 2011, 08:39 AM
I have real glass and that is what people in my area also have. I have had no problems with them. They 'float' in a wooden frame. One thing that you may want to consider is what direction the majority of the winds come from. In my case our usual strong winds are to the back of the framing, so I don't have debris blowing that may hit them. I did have one break. I think it was in a little tight and I hit the edge with the end of the garden hose.....hit pretty hard. It cracked but didn't shatter or fall out! Mine are 1/4 thick.

mickeydoodle
Aug. 14, 2011, 12:27 PM
use real glass, we had the plexi and they warped to funhouse mirrors within a week

airhorse
Aug. 14, 2011, 12:49 PM
I made some of both, glass is far better optically. The acrylic ones are fun house at best.

andy825
Aug. 14, 2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the replies. I haven't heard of anyone who was really happy with plexi.

Has anyone used the mirror-polished steel?

Lake Ridge Farm
Aug. 14, 2011, 03:38 PM
I just put in tempered glass mirrors in my dressage arena. The tempered glass is a little more costly; but, well worth it as they will not shatter when hit. Living in Florida, we have to worry about hurricanes. Haven't gone thru a hurricane yet; but also for safety sake, I went with the tempered glass.

Kaluna
Aug. 14, 2011, 10:58 PM
I have real glass and that is what people in my area also have. I have had no problems with them. They 'float' in a wooden frame. One thing that you may want to consider is what direction the majority of the winds come from. In my case our usual strong winds are to the back of the framing, so I don't have debris blowing that may hit them. I did have one break. I think it was in a little tight and I hit the edge with the end of the garden hose.....hit pretty hard. It cracked but didn't shatter or fall out! Mine are 1/4 thick.

This is a good response. I also recommend real glass properly framed.

andy825
Aug. 16, 2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks so much for the replies!