PDA

View Full Version : Anybody show in the Kerrits 24K zip front coat?

autumn50
Aug. 13, 2011, 11:44 AM
This riding coat looks really comfy and I like the fact that it can be washed and dried. Is it permissible to show in this coat at schooling shows.......or even recognized shows at the lower levels?

staceyk
Aug. 13, 2011, 03:35 PM
I would buy that jacket in a heartbeat if if could be worn at recognize shows, but right now I'm showing in the Kerrits vet at schooling shows -- so comfortable, very classy looking (Well, better than me in white breeches and white shirt, flopping about...

HollysHobbies
Aug. 13, 2011, 08:26 PM
I show and have shown in it, recognized.

BUT...it has been questioned by a judge at a recognized show (last month), TD ruled DQ, and the show manager overruled the TD ruling.
:no::confused:
I don't understand what was so offensive about the hidden zipper, but I think that was the argument.

Commander Cody
Aug. 13, 2011, 08:41 PM
The zipper coat IS legal but clearly some of the TDs think that if it doesn't look like the traditional coat then it can't be OK. I bet this will be addressed at the next TD forum since the coat is fairly new in the US and does look different (a bit - I assume the same girl HH was referring to was warming up while I was coaching right before the test where she was eliminated and I never noticed the coat). If it were me, I'd hold off a bit before buying one.

Brigitte
Aug. 13, 2011, 09:36 PM
What type of shirt/stock would you wear with it? That's probably a dumb question, but I was wondering what looked the best with it.

Cupcake
Aug. 13, 2011, 11:26 PM
I show at recognized shows in this coat. I've never been questioned. I also have an Arista zip front coat that I really like.
Both of them are very comfy and I recommend them whole heartedly.

I just wear a regular stock tie....

SillyHorse
Aug. 14, 2011, 09:12 AM
What type of shirt/stock would you wear with it? That's probably a dumb question, but I was wondering what looked the best with it.
Don't forget, you don't have to wear a stock tie. You can wear a choker below FE!, and a tie (like a man's tie) at any level.

atr
Aug. 14, 2011, 04:09 PM
I have shown recognized in the Arista equivalent without comment. I wore a stock tie with it but haven't found what I'm truly comfortable in with it yet.

Coats have been waived at every single show I have been to this year. Given the opportunity, I'd really much rather show in my shirt sleeves!

And furthermore, here is the USEF rule DR120:

"The dress code for Training through Fourth Levels is a short riding coat of conservative color, with tie, choker or stock tie, white or light-colored breeches or jodhpurs, boots or jodhpur boots."

duecavalle
Aug. 15, 2011, 03:58 PM
If you are looking for a light weight, comfortable, water resistant and machine washable show coat with styling consistent with a traditional coat with buttons, I can highly recommend Arista's Modern Dressage Jacket. It's picture #1 in this slide show: http://www.inthestirrup.com/#!shop-our-boutique

I picked one up on sale at In the Stirrup's booth last year's NEDA Fall Festival and I love it! It's so much lighter than a traditional coat and so easy to wash and wear. What's great is you'd never know it was made with a water resistant fabric unless you looked at the inside. I like this better than the 24K jacket (which I also love) for showing due to the more traditional styling.

Schiffon
Aug. 15, 2011, 08:18 PM
Pikeur makes a washable, modern fabric coat that looks like a riding coat (with buttons).

The one zipped coat I've seen at a licensed show looked like a windbreaker to me. Might have been more attractive if it wasn't a light brown. :no:

Give and Take
Aug. 16, 2011, 01:39 PM
I've worn mine at recognized jumper shows with no issue - in fact all the major h/j coat mfrs are selling them at ridiculous price points. they've been wearing them in europe for years.

the bonus is that i had to warm-up in a brief down pour and I was dry!

Melyni
Aug. 16, 2011, 03:46 PM
She shows in it all the time. It has been questioned a couple of times, but each time, common sense prevailed and she was not DQ'd. Which is as it should be. Since when has the way you fasten your coat had anything to do with the training of the horse!
MW

Sonoma City
Aug. 16, 2011, 03:53 PM
I have one and love it. I have not worn it at recognized shows, as I have a nice Pikeur that I love, but do like it for schooling shows, and have seen people wear them at recognized shows. I think it looks a little odd with formal wear (white breeches and stock), so I wear it with light tan breeches and a light colored stock tie (mint green or violet). I've gotten lots of compliments on the ensamble, and it's super comfy and nice not to have to worry about dirtying my nice coat at a schooling show. I've also worn it for clinics when it's cold with a nice scarf, looks sharp.