PDA

View Full Version : Paste Dewormed the Chickens

ThisTooShallPass
Aug. 13, 2011, 12:16 AM
Who cares how they feel about the experience, I am traumatized! Now my neck has a terrible crick in it too. Rooster was going to protect his hens to the death-his or mine. So the stock dog jumped in to defend me. That lead to chickens everywhere, as in shear panic, as some squeezed out past the neighbor boy in FFA that was manning the gate. Next time it will be a midnight stealth mission, where I grab & bag the rooster first.

Murphy's Mom
Aug. 13, 2011, 05:34 PM
Chickens need to be dewormed? Crap. This is my first year with chickens. Can't you just put some powder stuff in with their feed?

You mentioning being traumatized reminds me....I've got five goats that need their feet trimmed. <sigh> It was a good day until I remembered that. :lol:

JSwan
Aug. 13, 2011, 06:08 PM
First rule in chicken keeping.

Always torture them at night.

Goats are a lost cause. You are screwed.

Ghazzu
Aug. 13, 2011, 08:34 PM
Foot trimming on goats is a piece of cake. Even my non-farm type students get proficient quickly.

ThisTooShallPass
Aug. 13, 2011, 08:42 PM
:lol: Traumatized I was, I tell ya I was traumatized! Funny as heck now. :lol: Other than my neck is still cricked up.

They can end up with roundworm IN th egg, amongst other worm issues elsewhere in their body.

The rooster was still wearing paste this morning.

It appears they do not hold grudges as they all ran over for breakfast.

Next deworming will be under the wing. So, dead of night grab & bag it will be! As this old body just cannot go thru THAT again. :lol:

ThisTooShallPass
Aug. 13, 2011, 08:43 PM
Ghazzu is this where I say liar liar pants on fire, or that you crack me up? :lol: :D :lol:

Somermist
Aug. 13, 2011, 09:13 PM
Ghazzu is this where I say liar liar pants on fire, or that you crack me up? :lol: :D :lol:

:lol::winkgrin::lol:

birdsong
Aug. 13, 2011, 09:28 PM
Well that was just darned funny! I got tears visualizing the ruckus! :lol:

UrbanHennery
Aug. 14, 2011, 12:48 AM
This is exactly why I de-worm mine with Pig Swig when they take a break from laying to molt. Cherry flavored, in the water, no hassle, no wrestling with crabby hens... Easy peasy.

ThisTooShallPass
Aug. 14, 2011, 01:45 PM
Pig Swig is merely piperazine. To each their own. I prefer to use far more encompassing dewormers, for the overall health of my flock. :)

Peg
Aug. 14, 2011, 01:59 PM
What type of wormer do you use? How much? Peg

UrbanHennery
Aug. 14, 2011, 04:36 PM
Pig Swig is merely piperazine. To each their own. I prefer to use far more encompassing dewormers, for the overall health of my flock.

True, but my predator pressure is such that my hens rarely last enough years to develop a real parasite problem. I also use an organic feed through wormer monthly that doesn't have a withdrawal period.

What are you using? What's the withdrawal period (i.e. how long do I have to toss my eggs rather than selling them?)?

kinnip
Aug. 14, 2011, 04:48 PM
I like Eprinex for chickens, if they need it. I give them 1/4cc by mouth. I have far too many chickens to worm them all, so only the 'pets' are in danger of worming.

Funny thing about goats-- I have two who came to me with scours. I gave them Scour Halt for pigs (also cherry red and sugar sweet). After a week of drinking Kool-Aid out of a syringe, they will take anything from me. They'll suck the syringe dry, then try to chew the juice out. They'll rip it right out of your hand and fight over it, even it it's full of Ivomec Plus [gag].

JSwan
Aug. 14, 2011, 05:35 PM
Did you know it is possible to get rid of Jehovahs Witnesses with scours medication?

They usually come by and wait politely until I come out of hiding, thinking they've left. That's when they catch me.

This spring my pigs had scours and I went to the feed store to pick up pig meds and other swine supplies. Got home, phone was ringing so I left most of it on the front porch. I saw the JW's walk up, but it was too late for me to hide. But this time, they didn't wait. Couldn't figure out why.

I open the door to get the stuff on the porch. A gallon of Pepto, a large container of dewormer packets, and hog rings. I can't help but wonder what they were thinking. Late night out on the town?

I've been JW free all summer.

ReeseTheBeast
Aug. 17, 2011, 08:00 AM
Did you know it is possible to get rid of Jehovahs Witnesses with scours medication?

They usually come by and wait politely until I come out of hiding, thinking they've left. That's when they catch me.

This spring my pigs had scours and I went to the feed store to pick up pig meds and other swine supplies. Got home, phone was ringing so I left most of it on the front porch. I saw the JW's walk up, but it was too late for me to hide. But this time, they didn't wait. Couldn't figure out why.

I open the door to get the stuff on the porch. A gallon of Pepto, a large container of dewormer packets, and hog rings. I can't help but wonder what they were thinking. Late night out on the town?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JSwan, you are my favorite. When are you going to write a book of all your musings and stories of life on the farm??? I want the first copy! And autographed :cool:

Nes
Aug. 17, 2011, 10:36 AM

:lol: That sounds much quieter then our method, which was to teach the dogs to bark at the JWs until they leave...

OP - why didn't you de-worm at night?

Melelio
Aug. 17, 2011, 01:03 PM

:lol::yes::lol::yes::lol:

(note to self; try this next time....though blowing by the JWs with a critter cage full of feral cat in my hand seemed to do the trick a few years ago...no bother since! :winkgrin: )

didgery
Aug. 17, 2011, 01:18 PM

My goats beg for paste dewormer like it's crack.

2DogsFarm
Aug. 17, 2011, 02:40 PM
This is exactly why I de-worm mine with Pig Swig when they take a break from laying to molt. Cherry flavored, in the water, no hassle, no wrestling with crabby hens... Easy peasy.

Whew!
I was pretty sure I'd read about liquid dewormer somewhere.
I'll have to check TSC for Pig Swig on my next visit as Molting time grows nigh.

ThisToo: can you not isolate the rooster and treat him first or last?

My rooster is not yet 1yo and already getting to be a PITA.
Lucky for me 2 of the older hens don't take any crap from him.
I've seen them take him on - neck feathers ruffed and chest-bumping - giving him a taste of his own meds :D

ThisTooShallPass
Aug. 19, 2011, 04:11 PM
It was a last second decision to deworm. They put theirselves to bed at 6 like clock work, so were already on their roosts. Saw the neighbor kid, that often helps me with little things around here, so I said come on over.

I did deworm the rooster first. But just turned him back loose in there with me & his ladies. One of those what the heck was a I thinking experiences.

As others have already mentioned their using, I too use Eprinex & Ivermectrin. Which ever I currently have on hand. I use the liquid under the wing, though some orally dose.

Not hard to Google the poultry forums & learn about deworming. I strongly suggest thoroughly reading of several for deworming info & then make up your own mind.

For those of you too lazy to go to the effort to make sure each chicken does get individually dosed, would you say the same thing about your herd of horses? Especially if you had the same number of horses as chickens? Yeah, I thought not. Again, to each their own.

BTW, this round I used Panacur paste. Safeguard would have been cheaper, but vet was out. A pea sized drop in the mouth.

If you gently pull the wattles down their mouth opens. ;)

KarrotKreek
Aug. 19, 2011, 07:18 PM
I use a low low dose of ivomec (injectable) in their waterer. Then just don't eat the eggs for a bit. Way easier ;)